Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First SPECs in Scotland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First SPECs in Scotland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: First SPECs in Scotland Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, the first SPECs have been installed in Scotland, and according to one of today's papers, they are due to be switched on in 2 weeks time.
They cover a distance of about 23 miles on the A77, between a point just south of Kilmarnock to another point just south of Girvan.
However, I have a question: is there a maximum possible distance between 2 SPEC cameras? The suggestion in the paper is that the cameras cover the full 23 miles, but having driven the distance from the south I reckoned that there were 4 'pairs' and a final 'trio'. There is a gap of at least 15 miles between a 'pair' just north of Girvan to another 'pair' just south of Ayr.
Thanks in anticipation.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: First SPECs in Scotland Reply with quote

Supatramp wrote:
However, I have a question: is there a maximum possible distance between 2 SPEC cameras?

In theory no. It would depend on how much information each unit can hold. Each recognised vehicle has to remain in the system until it's released by the next camera. The distance and the speed are the only factors in the calculation.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: SPECs in Scotland Reply with quote

Richard,

Thanks for your reply.
So does that mean that if you're on a "through" journey on the A77, your speed IS being checked even over the 15 mile 'gap'?? Also, as there are numerous junctions in that 'gap', you can join somewhere along the it and do a 'ton', if you wish, without being caught by the SPECs??
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or take a break between the cameras!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally illegal of course - but I just wonder what would happen if you had two cars with the same number plate and someone were to position themselves shortly before the second camera and wait for a call from someone driving through the first camera before driving through the second camera - I wonder what speed would be calculated then!
Mavrik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First SPECs in Scotland Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

In theory no. It would depend on how much information each unit can hold. Each recognised vehicle has to remain in the system until it's released by the next camera. The distance and the speed are the only factors in the calculation.

So what would happen if say you went through camera A then turned around went back and turned around again to go through camera A again, and if you did this a number of times, what would be the result ?? would it be possible to "overload" the camera ??

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: First SPECs in Scotland Reply with quote

Mavrik wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

So what would happen if say you went through camera A then turned around went back and turned around again to go through camera A again, and if you did this a number of times, what would be the result ?? would it be possible to "overload" the camera ??

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I have no idea!

I heard the end of a news item at the weekend, and a pair of specs cameras where covering a 26 mile stretch of road. I don't know where but that's some memory!

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the cameras are going live today, you can read Here
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder then if you could go through the first camera, pull over and take a break for 15 minutes and then tear along the rest of it at 150mph and have no problems at the other end?

These cameras are stupid, more traffic police would be a far better answer.
dsinclair999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do they look like?

I've noticed some sort of camera popping up in my town, navy blue in colour on a 20 foot navy blue pole, looks about the size of a CCTV camera.
Any idea what they are and do they have anything to do with checking speed?

TIA

DS
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navy Blue ones SHOULD be Trafficmaster or something similar. They use the same numberplate recognition technology as SPECS but only remember a portion of the number, and work out traffic congestion and road speeds from the results.
Details here:
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/traffic.htm
dsinclair999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, OK cheers Andy_P2002.

Regards

DS
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: A77 SPECS cameras Reply with quote

I've now seen an advert/map for the A77 cameras, and on Sunday drove down to Stranraer so covered the full distance. It appears that the installers/constructers of the system, for some weird reason, decided to build/install the cameras at either end first, and then others in the 'middle', so there isn't in fact a 15 mile 'gap' after all.
However, considering the major expense which must have been incurred in installing this system, some of the individual sites seem rather peculiar, with some relatively long distances between cameras.
On the one hand, you could be done for speeding several times with this system, and on the other hand, there will be loads of vehicles which will pass one camera then leave the route at one of the many junctions before passing the next camera. During the last set of roadworks on the Thelwall Viaduct on the M6 there were several SPECS cameras, but there was no junction in the system, whereas on the A77 there are numerous, plus 3 villages and 2 towns with 30 or 40mph limits!!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Has anyone actually submitted the positions? Reply with quote

Subject says it all :"Has anyone actually submitted the positions?"

Also has anyone done the Temp Gatsos in the M74 roadworks?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: A77 SPECS Reply with quote

Since the A77 SPECS cameras first started appearing, all the bumff in the papers has said that the whole distance is covered, from Bogend Toll to south of Girvan. I've always been a bit suspicious that this was in fact a bit of a play on words, and even downright ambiguous, and if my Road Angel is correct then it would appear that my suspicions were correct.
Coming up from Ayr this past week, I got the warning signal as I approached the first camera just north of the Whitletts roundabout, and the spasmodic 'beep' as i progressed towards Sandyford Toll. After passing Sandyford Toll there were no more spasmodic 'beeps', and the next thing I got was the warning about the camera just north of the Monkton roundabout, followed by the spasmodic 'beeps' until I passed the 3rd camera at Bogend Toll. Therefore as i said, if my RA is correct, then there is no surveillance between Sandyford Toll and the camera just north of Monkton roundabout.
In about 5 or 6 weeks time I'll be going down to Stranraer again, so it'll be interesting to see what warnings I get from the RA.

Regarding the M74 roadworks, I've got the camera stored on my RA, but haven't yet uploaded it to the RA website.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: