Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Temporary alignment probs with CF jacket
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Temporary alignment probs with CF jacket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Temporary alignment probs with CF jacket Reply with quote

I briefly mentioned this as a reply to someone else with alignment problems but I dont know if any of you have an explanation for my annoying problem.

I use my 3630 without its jacket as it is lighter to carry until I need to navigate anywhere. Upon inserting the 256MB compact flash jacket, for about 30 minutes, the Ipaq becomes unuseable as it goes really slowly, it is impossible to click on anything as the alignment is out and the screen is slow to respond if it does at all. After the 30 mins is up, the Ipaq seems to have done whatever it is is doing during its go-slow and then seems to be OK (alignment is perfect again).

As I am aure you can appreciate, this is a real pain. I was sat in the car stuck waiting for it to sort itself out in the scorching sun on Sunday, unable to set off

Any ideas why this happens? Can it be stopped? Does it happen to everyone with a CF jacket?

Thanks, Ian.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Temporary alignment probs with CF jacket Reply with quote

A few things come to mind - though without any experience of this problem. I have no comparable problem inserting and removing my 3970 from my PC Card Expansion Pack Plus (though I tend to leave it in the Expansion Pack at all times).

Firstly, your ROM version number indicates you're still running Pocket PC 2000, which is fair enough. You're not, however, on the latest Pocket PC 2000 ROM for your 3630, which appears to be version 1.87 available here.

The next thing that comes to mind - is it inserting the jacket that causes the slow down, or does that only happen if you insert the jacket with the card already in place? If inserting the jacket doesn't cause a slow down, does inserting the jacket then subsequently inserting the card into the jacket?

Does it make any difference whether the iPAQ is on or off when you insert it in the jacket?

Does a soft reset restore normal operation if your iPAQ is running slow?

Do you have an ignore_my_docs file in the root of the storage card (it's a hidden file, so it may not show in all software)? Do you have a "My Documents" folder on the card? ignore_my_docs changes Pocket PC's behaviour with respect to enumerating the files on the storage card, and I think that may be relevant here.

David
longwori
Regular Visitor

Hi David, I am working through the various checks in your reply and will report back when I have all the answers which is taking a little longer than expected. This is because I still had the jacket on my Ipaq from Sunday so I removed it and replaced it (with 256MB CF) straight away (expecting to see the problem again to go through your suggested combinations) but surprisingly it worked OK. I then removed it and left it for three hours and it is still OK. I know if a leave it a few days that I will have the problem as there is usually a few day break between each requirement for navigation but I will try and get a more accurate timing. It is not until I have the problem again that I can prove any of the options have an effect so it may be a day or two until I can provide a detailed reply.

Thanks for showing an interest David, I appreciate it

Ian.
longwori
Regular Visitor

OK, having left the jacket off for just over a day, I had the problem again although it didnt last as long as if I had left it off for several days.

Inserting the jacket with or without the memory card, with the Ipaq on or off made no difference. I had the problem in all combinations. I suppose this now points to the jacket and not the memory card but why the problem goes away with time baffles me!

I do not have a My Documents or an ignore_my_docs file or folder on the memory card as far as I can see.

I did not manage to do a soft reset before the Ipaq began to function normally again. To be honest, I dont know how to to the soft reset or if it will wipe out any data?

Thanks, Ian.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

It sounds like something may be going wrong with the initialisation of the expansion pack. This may suggest looking in to the available ROM update, but I'd try a soft reset when the problem occurs first.

As you say, your result tends to exonerate the memory card (and makes consideration of the presence or absence of a My Documents folder and the ignore_my_docs file seemingly irrelevant).

A soft reset doesn't wipe out any data - for that you need a hard reset, which is deliberately more difficult to achieve.

A soft reset is the equivalent of rebooting a desktop PC. On just about every Pocket PC, to soft reset you poke the reset hole with the tip of your stylus. If you're not sure, check out your manual (or is there anyone around familiar with the 3600 series that can verify that this is what you do?).

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: