Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just How Up to Date are TT5 Maps ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just How Up to Date are TT5 Maps ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Just How Up to Date are TT5 Maps ? Reply with quote

I ask this because I have just upgraded to TT5 and used it for the first time yesterday on a trip from home to the Peak District.

I had routed as 'fastest' and put in one 'go via' instruction. Going through Macclesfield, instead of routing via the ringroad, it routed me via a road that was possibly a little bit shorter, but not necessarily quicker.

However, the real problem is that it tried to route me the wrong way down a one-way street. I have tested this since using Advance Planning and it does the same.

I checked the same routing on my Garmin Mapsource v.4 maps (this is certainly pre-2002 as I bought this with my Etrex in that year), and Mapsource has the one-way system correct.

So, if TomTom claim they use "industry's most up-to date street level map data for all of Europe" then how can this be ????

Confused ? You bet !!

Baz
Confused
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the street used to be two way and recently became one way or was it always one way? If the former then it's a case of old data but if the latter then it's simply just a mistake in the data (or possibly TomTom's routing). As TomTom rely on TeleAtlas for their mapping data then it's probably them who are at fault. You can report mapping errors to TeleAtlas using [urlhttp://www.teleatlas.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=9347&ssSourceNodeId=9223]this form[/url] - though it's anybodys guess if they pay an attention!

What is the street in question, anyway?
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link for reporting map errors should be this form. Damn the fact you can't edit your posts! Smile
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Diplo

The street was King Edward Street heading east towards Churchill Way.

At the cross roads with Westminster Road/Street, King Edward Street becomes one-way. TT5 had routed me to the junction with Churchill Way where I was to turn left, but this would have taken me the wrong way down a one-way street.

My 2002 Mapsource (Navtec) map has this street correctly shown as one-way. If TomTom say they use the industry's most up to date mapping, then Tele Atlas' mapping (or the one TomTom buys) must be older than 2002.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found some new errors in Swansea, where TomTom5 tries to make you turn right where it is forbidden. The road layout has not changed for 10 years, and in fact TomTom3 was correct.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:

The street was King Edward Street heading east towards Churchill Way.

At the cross roads with Westminster Road/Street, King Edward Street becomes one-way. TT5 had routed me to the junction with Churchill Way where I was to turn left, but this would have taken me the wrong way down a one-way street.

How odd - I drive this area often so I have just double-checked and on my TomTom Navigator 5.0 with the GB Plus map v 571, it knows that this stretch of King Edward Street is one way heading West and routes me accordingly (I'm using Advance Planning as I'm not in the car). It also shows the little black arrow on the map that indicates a one-way road.
For example, to route in from the West on the A537, it brings me along the 2-way stretch of King Edward St (though generally if I'm just heading through Macc it takes me the 'longer' way around the roundabouts keeping on the A537, which like you I actually find quicker) to the lights at the crossing with Churchill Way, then it correctly turns me left onto Churchill Way to the roundabout at King's School, right onto the Hibel Road dual carriageway to the lights halfway down the hill, then right into Jordangate, and right again to go up King Edward St the correct way.
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops - sorry! The dangers of armchair navigation. You're quite right - I hadn't been looking at the map closely enough. The road it's taking me up to get to Churchill Way is indeed one way the other way!
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link goes to same street in Google Maps which also uses TeleAtlas data (though I don't know how old it is or whether it compares to what TomTom uses). It's interesting to compare, though.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the copyright screen. The map data is copyright Teleatlas 2005, but also copyright Ordinance Survey 2003.

Judging by that Teleatlas gave the map data to TomTom this year, but Teleatlas got the data from Ordinance Survey in 2003.

Makes sense as the road changes I've seen that are not in TTN5 were made 1 to 2 years ago. I suppose it depends on whether Ordinance Survey made any updates before they gave Teleatlas the data, which means the data could be 3 years out of date....if you follow?

Any advance on 3 years? :-D

Btw, Ordinance Survey are the most accurate mapping organisation anywhere in the world.

Plurality should not be posited without necessity
SalTheWop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 has tried to send me down part of Kentish Town Road / Camden High Street (both one way, for around 1/2 mile .maybe a bit less ) .The roads have been one way for as long as I can remember , and Ive lived in the area nearly 40 years . Also tried to send me across a bridge that has been closed to traffic for over 20 years (Regents Park Road NW1 )
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the area I live (County Durham) A route I planned would have taken me along a road that is no more than a cars width, unlit with no road markings, not maintained to my knowledge & has been blocked for many years (I believe it was a private road, part of which may have been access only to a pit (coal mine/coke works).

I have found that some of the newer road layouts are included in TTN5 but some older ones are still missing so it's not the case of how 'uptodate are the maps?' as 'how many errors are there?'

Road 2 years old in TTN5
Road 4 years old not in TTN5

means map data is less than 2 years old WITH ERRORS rather than map data is not uptodate. Do you agree with this?

Norman
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good to know which faults lie with TeleAtlas and which lie with TomTom's interpretation of their data. At least we can badger TomTom to fix that latter even if they claim the former is out of their hands.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not help that you could the old version add a road block or a do not travel on this section cause that then meant you could avoid half a road!

Progress - nope, but is it better than an A-Z in the lap?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: