Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3450 & iPAQ 5450
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3450 & iPAQ 5450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art J
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 3450 & iPAQ 5450 Reply with quote

I have purchased a Navman 3450 and I am considering my options regarding the choice of iPAQ, an earlier thread stated there were compatability problems with the previous Navman and the 5450, does anyone have any knowledge if the new Navman jacket will work with the 5450 iPAQ or would I be better staying with the 3970 iPAQ ?
Shax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: 3450 & iPAQ 5450 Reply with quote

I was a bit apprehensive about buying the 3400 due to the compatibility issues

with the HP5450, but I thought these would be resolved with the release of the 3450.

Wrong; out of the box the 3450 will not work the 5450, I was up until 2:30 am

the day I got mine in the garden trying to get a fix only for it to be lost

a few seconds later. I was gutted that I got rid of my 3870.

However, an email to the excellent Navman support team (got a reply within

a few hours) resulted in applying a new SP (upgrades SmartST from 1.91.41

that was shipped with the 3450 to 1.91.44). This has totally transformed

the device; quick fixes, no dropped signals, very stable, etc. Battery life

of the Ipaq has been impressive even when using the backlight on full brightness.

I am using the latest ROM from hp (1.11.19 ENG, June 2003) the first time I

installed SmartST, on an earlier rom, I encountered the "Unable to load optpack

Bus driver" error.

Sound output due to the feeble speaker is still an issue but this can be

resolved by using a tape adapter (pick up one from ebay for a fiver or Argos

for £8, or theres also another device you can get which is a wireless fm

transmitter (https://www.myirock.com/players/default.asp) drawback of this

is similar to that of the tape adapter in that you can't listen to the car's

cd/tape player at the same time. The third option is getting a sound bug,

as mentioned by another poster, just ordered mine from http://www.gadgets.co.uk

for £29.99 all in. The final solution I've found is a fag packet amplifier; Smokey Amp (www.firebox.com) or any other amplified mini speaker.

Art J
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for that advice, could you tell me if this Navman upgrade is a downloadable patch ?

The decision on which model I get depends on the efficiency of a salesman as a well known high st electical retailer, a 3970 has been on order for 3 weeks, if he does not deliver by Thursday I am off somewhere else and the on line prices of a 5450 are not that much more than he can supply a 3970 for. Do you think the perormanceof the Navman would be any better if I had the 5450 as opposed to the 3970 ? or are the extra features of the 5450 not going to give me any advantage other than Wi Fi etc ?
Shax
Occasional Visitor

No probs Art. How much are you paying (or going to pay) for the 3970 at the high street retailer? Chances are it can’t be that much more for a 5450 from www.expansys.com (£446.50 in vat). Like always it depends on what you want to do with your Ipaq. If your solely getting it for a GPS device then I'd stick to the 3970 due to the fact its been tried and tested, has a better speaker and its lower cost? However, I would go for the 5450 due to the improvements such as the addition of wifi, much improved IR (don’t have to stand 3 feet from the device you want to control) and when it comes time to upgrade it, it might actually be worth something! I have also got a spare battery on order which you can quickly swap out, something you couldn’t do on earlier iPaqs. The biometric fingerprint reader apart from being a novelty and making you look like a right **** on the train, works pretty well and is handy if your worried about the sensitivity of data on your device.

The pacth, as far as I am aware, is not downloadable, but an email to Navman support will give you a quick result.
Art J
Occasional Visitor

Thanks again, the situation is a little complicated, the salesman wants a camera I have and is going to supply me with the 3970 as a private exchange, i.e. no money changes hands, if he cannot by Thursday supply his part of the deal I will be looking to purchase an iPAQ outright and from what you suggest it may be better to go for the more advanced model, I have found that you never want the extra features until you have them and then you wonder how you managed without them ! I have looked at Expansys, they are not to far from where I live ( 60 miles )and items can be collected which is better than waiting in all day for a courier to call.

Once I know what Thursday brings I will make my decision.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience it is much appreciated.
Art J
Occasional Visitor

After much Censored about the salesperson has failed to deliver ( not surprised really ! ), a quick trip to the local PC World, no stock, not sure when they are expected, Currys the same. On the same retail park is a branch of Carphone Warehouse, worth enquiring I thought.
No stock but helpful salesman looked at their stock at head office, stock available and could be despatched by overnight courier for £329 including carriage, ( their catalogue price is quoted at £399 ) salesman could not explain price reduction but once the deal was struck and the price and delivery details arranged I am confident I will have the 3970 in my possession later today.
Regarding the patch from Navman, is it solely to get the 3400 working with the 5450 or are there any advantages to be had by applying this patch to the 3450/3970 combination ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: