Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Categories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Categories Reply with quote

Currently there are two ways we can categorise POI's. We can either categorise them by country type, which makes it easier to find POI's (like we currently do) on the TomTom POI Page.

The other way we could do it is to have a different XML file that you point to for each country, and this would enable us to sub-categorise the POI's into categories like Petrol Stations etc.

The way we've currently designed it is to categorise by country, but this can be changed depending on what you feel would be more appropriate, but it would need to be changed soon rather than later before we transfer all POI's to this service.
fysmd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Categories Reply with quote

My vote goes for XML file per country and then useful subcategories.

This way, those who need lumtiple country data can get it easily while the UK users (I assume the majority) get useful sub groups for hotels etc.

Any plan to categorise the SC databse to allow speed distinction?

Ian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We can have seperate XML's for each country, but it could mean having 20+ XML files. I'm not sure how we can make it easy for people to find the XML files. I suppose we could put them on the POI page and list each country and people can copy|paste the URL's into POI-Edit. If it's one XML file we could potentially get this added automatically into the browse box, I'm not sure if we'd be able to get 20+ added though.

The SC database will be populated. We're currently gathering data. We've been talking with various companies on providing an encrypted form which cannot get easily decompiled and stolen. From a user perspective we still want to keep it free.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: