Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dixons worst customer service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dixons worst customer service
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_s_girffith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Dixons worst customer service Reply with quote

Dixons worst customer service ever - they tried to sell me insurance for £40 on a cradle and batter for an hp ipaq 5550 worth £60 - they are immune from watchdog apparently
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will always try and sell you the cover on everything from a kettle to a CD player. That is how dixons make their money the sales people will push you as much as they can as thats how they make higher commision.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this came as a surprise? Dixons Store Group (wich inc PCWorld) have always been pretty poor. I refuse to spend my money in any of their outlets.
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dixons worst customer service Reply with quote

john_s_girffith wrote:
Dixons worst customer service ever - they tried to sell me insurance for £40 on a cradle and batter for an hp ipaq 5550 worth £60 - they are immune from watchdog apparently

On the actual product, Dixon's margins are tiny (in comparison to what people expect them to be), so they plug warranties / credit plans - and that's where they make their money.
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: PCWorld Reply with quote

They may have cr*p service, but look at the PCWorld website.
You can order on the website (at web prices) and still collect at the store!!
I have just ordered an iPAQ hx4700 for less that £320, and have used them in the past.
Never bought an extended warranty, though.

Alistairm1
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i Remember a couple of years ago my friend purchased a mouse for his laptop for £4.99 from PC World.. would you like a warranty sir? how much? only £9.99

All in all its a bit of a joke i think.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing that gets me is older people ie OAP's go in and they totally take advantage of them. There is two class of sales people, people who take pride in what they do and people that just want the money.
KayDee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is to walk into the shop and say:-

"I'm interested in buying a new such-and-such. At the first mention of 'Extended Warranty' I will walk straight out of the shop."

Works every time.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of buying warranties, I used to put the money into a separate savings account, taking any repairs out of it. I stopped when it reached £1000, so either I am very lucky (or perhaps take more care of what I buy) or someone is making a fortune out of these warranties!

Now if (when!) pressurised to take out a warranty I just ask if the product is of such low quality that I need the warranty. If they say no - I say that I won't bother with the warranty, if they say yes, I don't buy the product! If they persist - I walk to another salesman and ask if they would like to sell me the product without the warranty, or walk out - after all, most places seem to sell at the same price - and they say that prices aren't fixed - but that is another story!

PS - I still buy them for washing machines - and have needed to call out on every one!
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try being a woman going into these places, they treat you like you've got lost on your way to Mothercare Smile If you go in with your husband/male friend, they totally ignore you and talk to the man!

Personally on the big white goods spend, I've bought from John Lewis - professional polite staff and an extra years warranty for free!
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
There is two class of sales people, people who take pride in what they do and people that just want the money.

Not exactly. They can be both.

Remember, these people do have a living to earn like the rest of us, so you can hardly blame them for trying.
s_roberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixons have a court order against WATCHDOG - specifically the BBC so they CANNOT be featured on watchdog - they are the biggest con merchants around - they have known to sell people insurance before they have even purchased the product - trading standards gets hundreds of compliants a week - but guess what they will never be on watchdog.

This is the British Law for you - get a court order and your protected - this aplies to the whole Dixons Group:

Currys
PC World
Dixons
The Link

Best advice buy on line and you will be protected by teh Distance selling regulations - I did that and sent an item back, they did not refund me so I took the credit card company to court (well threatned them anyway) and they did a chargeback against them. But this is a lot of hassle though, I would just stay away from teh Dixons Group
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought many things from Dixons and yes they always try to sell me insurance, but I just say no. I don't see what the big problem is?
s_roberts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that they have a permanent injunction against Watchdog says it all - companies like this get away with everything - this is the problem with large companies - they have lots of $$$ and can be immune to most complaints.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
the thing that gets me is older people ie OAP's go in and they totally take advantage of them.

I agree. My Grandmother recently went into one of these shops to replace her washing machine. She found it quite hard to be assertive and say "No" when the sales person started banging on about the extended warranty and came away feeling worried sick about the amount of money she'd ended up spending.

Now whenever she needs to make a big purchase, my father will go with her and he will put his foot down if he thinks the sales people are taking advantage!

I find a lot of things that I want are cheaper online (unless the store is having a big clearance sale) so I only use stores like this once I have done my research and know exactly what I want and only what I want. That way I don't get shafted.

If I think the sales person is coming on too strong with the sales pitch or they don't take no for an answer with regards to the extended warranty, I know I can always find what I want somewhere else and comfort myself with the thought that it's them who have lost a sale.

I would advise people not to let elderly or impressionable relatives/friends go to these shops alone though, or they might come out having spent double what they intended to spend in the first place! Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: