Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 500 £419 @ Currys
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 500 £419 @ Currys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakeboarder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: TomTom 500 £419 @ Currys Reply with quote

Hi,
read the price match posts on the forum, so popped into my local Currys (Bangor, N Wales) and saw they had TT500 in stock. I have had one on order from Maplins since late may and I had "paid" £419 (£50 off as I bought a few bits and bobs and so total was >£500) Asked they guy if he would price match £419. He phoned Maplin who said it was £469 and they had no stock, I mentioned the money-off voucher, he asked Maplin and they said yes if you spend > £500. He came off the phone and said sorry no deal as a) maplin had no stock and b) the price was with a voucher applied. I said I had read on these forums of other Currys price matching and so he said he'd have to speak to the manager, 30 secs later manager said "yeah no problem". £419 deal done !! cancelled my Mapln order and hey presto TT 500 in my car !!

Cheers
Bobm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best price...but expansys.com now have the 500 in stock if you want mail order with a reliable next day delivery. Bought other stuff from them and had no problems...just couldn't wait this long for a 500!

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TOMTOM_GO_500_GB
detective
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobm wrote:
Not the best price...

Anyone have any ideas - apart from the Currys routine as I don't think they'll do that for me - where the cheapest 500 can be picked up from? Is £469 the cheapest around?
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure how either Maplin, Currys or expansys can do this as they have alledgedly signed a contract with tomtom which states that everyone they sell to must sell the the unit in the UK at a set price £369, £469 and £549 respectivly for the 300 500 and 700.
If they are selling it cheaper then they are virtually monopolising the market which is illegal!.
I work with tomtom as they are suppliers to our shop network, and when the Rep (sorry dealer support manager) visited us he stated the same.
As tomtom sell to everyone for the same price, the market share that they have already indicated people will pay the asking price without asking!.
Sounds like a good product to me!.
Mike
Wakeboarder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeossy That is garbage. At the ICT company I work for I can buy the TomTom range from 3 different distributors in the UK at the wholesale price, and sell at any retail price I choose, I could sell at a loss or give them away "free" as a bundle ? just like Vauxhall are doing !!!!.

Signing an Agreement with TomTom to sell at the prices you state is the illegal bit its called price fixing and is anti-competitive. The reason I got it from Currys was because stock has been so tricky to get, I saw it on the shelf and didn't want to go back and join the queue I have been in for 3 months.

Why not just walk into Currys and say you can get it at Maplin for £419 (as I did) provided you bundle it with some other stuff. If the best they do is give you £30 off its better than £469
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stating what MR tomtom told me, im not sure about the distributors though, he gave the impression they are the ones doing the selling to outlets in the UK, no-one else, even so if these other retailers are buying from the distributors then they cant be making much of a profit as they will being sold the unit at the same price as we are direct from tomtom, doesnt seem to make much sence losing profit over customers.

All I can say is I hope you dont have a problem with it as Currys definatly aint on the ball with this sort of stuff!.

Cioa
Mike
Nezza42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy from Dixons online for £444 (that's £469 less a £25 voucher). I phoned my local store (remember Dixons & Currys are essentially the same company) and asked if he'd match the online voucher price.

He said, come down & we'll discuss it.

When I got there, he asked were I'd seen the price as he couldn't fine it, when I explained you had to add the item to the basket on the Dixons online store then type VOUCHER25 into the promotional box & then update, the price would be adjusted. He took my word for it (it's true BTW!) and out I walked with a Go 500 for £444 and no need to wait for several days for the courier to call whilst I'm in the loo!

Nez
Nezza42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy from Dixons online for £444 (that's £469 less a £25 voucher). I phoned my local store (remember Dixons & Currys are essentially the same company) and asked if he'd match the online voucher price.

He said, come down & we'll discuss it.

When I got there, he asked were I'd seen the price as he couldn't fine it, when I explained you had to add the item to the basket on the Dixons online store then type VOUCHER25 into the promotional box & then update, the price would be adjusted. He took my word for it (it's true BTW!) and out I walked with a Go 500 for £444 and no need to wait for several days for the courier to call whilst I'm in the loo!

Nez

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: