Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looks like EMTAC BT but...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks like EMTAC BT but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Looks like EMTAC BT but... Reply with quote

Got mine finally. Won an auction on 6th June and it arrived yesterday.

Nice bit of kit but the delay was worrying. The seller did not accept paypal so I had to do a us money order whch took 2 weeks and then the seller took his time to actually send. Paid customs duty & vat but still worth the saving over UK costs.

If you've had it a while have you found the best settings, driver etc. And is the external antenna worth fixing in the car?

Steve
fysmd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Looks like EMTAC BT but... Reply with quote

Anybody had any experience of this Ebay item

It looks very much like the Emtac BT, I wonder how it performs?

Ian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevie
Regular Visitor

I'll let you know when mine arrives (if it ever does)it's a Globalsat I believe. I took a chance and bid for one but as I'm in the UK they don't accept the eay Paypal option so had to do a Moneyorder option. Won the auction last weekend and still waiting for confirmation of the moneyorder being received.

Now in the For Sale section here there's an Emtac for sale at a reasonable price, if I hadn't got this Ebay one outstanding I'd have bought that.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

GlobalSat offer a variety of GPS Receivers. Although I'm as techy as you can get, I always stay clear of ebay. Don't know why, I love purchasing things online, I suppose you just never quite know if you're getting a box full of donuts or a box with a GPS. I think that's the thing that puts me off ebay buying. I'm sure you've got come back, but come back means hassle to me.

I'm sure you'll be okay though! The GlobalSat is pretty much identical to the Emtac/Socket but it is larger and has extended battery life.
LocktightT
Regular Visitor

Hi

I have purchased (and sold) a lot of items on Ebay, touch wood, I have never had any problems with what I have purchased. I always read the ad thoroughly, check the feedback that the person has, look at the items they have sold before etc. etc. THe most important thing is that if it appears to be too good to be true, it probably is!

Looking at this seller, they apppear to be okay in my opinion. the only downside could be the £25-£35 VAT and release charges that the UK carrier (Normally parcelforce or Royal Mail) will charge to get it our of customs in the UK?

Locktight
Stevie
Regular Visitor

The other problem for UK users is that some Ebay sellers in the US won't take Paypal. I've had to resort to using bidpay.com who mail a moneyorder to the seller.

This is adding a delay to the whole thing.

On the other hand I've bought a few things now on ebay and even allowing for the customs charges etc still managed a bargain or two.
swan_g
Occasional Visitor

I'm waiting for one too... It should arrive later this week.

The pics are the same that you can find at the Globalsat site, but with the "Globalsat" erased in Photoshop... The accesories seem to come standard with the receiver, except for the external antenna (if I recall correctly I saw the kit anounced in an italian site, and it included all the other "freebies")

Anyway, I saw it listed for 350 Euros, I paid 243 US dollars... It's a gamble, I know...

BTW, I did pay with PayPal (from USA) and was the same seller (dataconex) that has 98.7% of possitive feedback, that makes me feel a little safer when buying in Ebay.

OK... I'll let you know when I get the gps (or the box full of donuts) ;)

fysmd
Regular Visitor

I ordered one and it's arrived!

Yes, it is the GlobalSat, it came charged and worked straight out of the box. I get 4 or 5 sats INDOORS, nowhere near a window, can't wait to get it in the car.

One frustration is that each time any software tries to connect with it, I get a bluetooth manager prompt, asking me to click on the device to connect to.

Once it needed selecting a second time as it claimed that the device didn't support a serial device.

TTFF was VERY fast, I didn't measure specifically but by the time I had the BT manager configured, it had a 2D fix... I'm guessing less than 30s. Impressive as the last time it should have been used, it was on the other side of the world!.

No donuts for me ;))
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swan_g
Occasional Visitor

OK, mine arrived too... Globalsat, also charged... everything as fysmd says in the previous message...

Cool... now I can use it to navigate to the Krispy Kreme store and get some donuts... :P

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Did any of you have to pay any extra charges over what they were selling it as ? eg import duty, courier charges etc ?
swan_g
Occasional Visitor

Nope, not me... I paid only what I bid for plus the shipping (it was already specified how much at the ebay page).

I'm in the US, by the way.
fysmd
Regular Visitor

Nor did I - but then it was "appropriatley" described on the invoice and shipping paperwork
swan_g
Occasional Visitor

Yep, mine came with en invoice for 50 dollars, an labeled as "gift"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: