Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navigon 5 - No longer supports TMC in UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navigon 5 - No longer supports TMC in UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: navigon 5 - No longer supports TMC in UK Reply with quote

Following posting on gpspassion, and the navigon forum, it has been discovered that TMC is no longer supported in the UK by Navigon.

The new release has little no extra functionally, more expensive maps, and now no TMC - Looks like navigon may have kiled itself off.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/tmc_products/

The TMC forum states: "Recently, an increasing number of manufacturers offer PDA-based navigation systems, which do not require permanent mounting in the vehicle. Some of these have the capability to receive TMC information, thanks to an integrated or additional FM/RDS-TMC tuner"

and show MN4 - It is unfortunate that this the first and last system with FM/RDS-TMC, when the system is being used in factory fit systems
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand the german version will continue to use TMC. Must be some licensing issue on the island...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. TMC is included in the software - but does not function in the UK.
PeterBroadbent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Navigon MN5 + TMC in UK Reply with quote

Was concerned that TMC was not available in UK, having recently ordered MN 5.

I queried this with Navigon and received the following reply:

"thank you for your email.

TMC is working in the UK as well.

We offer a basic set that already includes the GPS receiver + TMC + BT. Therefore, please see this link

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/pda/203.

This MN|5 Basic set also includes a car holder, power socket and and the PDA cable."

I gues I will find out for sure when the system arrives
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this in reference to MN4 or MN5?

I agree that the Navigon site does appear to show that TMC works in the UK. I also contacted Navigon to clarify - however they have not yet responded.

There is a forum member on this group (huey) that already has MN5 which locked onto TMC but did not receive any TMC messages. They also emailed Navigon, but it appears that they have not replied.

The admin of the gpspassion board seems to have a contact within Navigon and did confirm that TMC was not supported.

It would be good to find out more! If anyone can!

Have a look at:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28809

and

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21248
PeterBroadbent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original email included my order number for MN5, and the reply talked about the pda holder etc. with MN5 basic so I assume that it is for MN5, it had better be.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20997

Apparantly Navigon have now advised another forum member by telephone that there is no TMC in the latest release.

This is NOT mentioned on the website, and as you know even the email you have from support mentions MN5, and states that TMC is working in the UK.
Navsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There, It's not as bad as it seems, the NAVIGON support line told me today, that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. There should be a download ready in about 2 weeks for all MN 5 users in UK. Watch out for it as they will not inform customers separately.

Steve
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a similar thread on Gpspassion that people might find interesting.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28809

According to the contact there TMC was not going to happen in the UK. The Navigon website still has not been changed, and info out of navigon is like blood out of a stone!
Peppercorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Nnavigon and TMC Reply with quote

I bough a Navigon MN4 Mobile Navigator in Sweden in January, bundled with an HP iPaq 4150 PDA. A couple of week later, I moved to the UK. The TMC module worked beautifully all the way here and also in the UK until late April/early May.

Since it stopped working, I have sent a number of email messages to Navigon's customer support, with no response at all. Eventually I called their support centre in Germany and was told that TMC no longer worked here; no reason for that was given.

To me this is very dodgy marketing. I am sure that there is an ombudsman whom we could contact.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC will still work with MN4. It is only MN5 that doesnt support TMC

i.e it is not the TMC signal that is the issue, just that MN5 cannot decode it.

The support provided by Navigon has a lot to be desired. i.e telling MN4 owners that TMC is no longer supported, and still selling MN5 as supporting TMC!
Peppercorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: MN4 and TMC Reply with quote

Thanks for that clarification; it is nice to know that MN4 should still work for TMC information. Mine obviously doesn't and Navigon support were quite adamant that it shouldn't in the UK.

Is there anyone out there with an MN4 setup that actually works with TMC?
huey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am running both v4 and v5 and I am happy to confirm that the TMC is still working on v4 (used it on the way home from work tonight).

What problems are you getting as it took me a little while to work it out.
Peppercorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: MN4 and TMC Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I had no problems to set up MN4 and the TMC receiver, and it worked quite OK from the start and through late April, early May. This means that the TMC panel on the PDA screen was always green when the system was turned on, and traffic information was streaming into it.

Now, the TMC panel is always yellow and I can see that the receiver is repeatedly cycling through the entire frequency spectrum without hitting a valid station. I suspect a fault with the receiver and have repeatedly contacted Navigon with no reply (until I phoned Germany and was told that TMC does not work in the UK).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: