Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC reception and messages
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC reception and messages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: TMC reception and messages Reply with quote

I am running Navigon 4.2 on a FS Loox 420 with the wired GPS mouse and TMC module. My problem is that when I leave the house every morning the TMC module picks up Classic FM and starts counting up the messages.

When I get onto the M5 south at junction 4a the TMC light turns orange and doesn't regain any signal until I get off the motorway at Junction 7 (Worcester). When I get a green signal again it is locked onto Wyvern FM and the previous messages start to disappear. I travelled to Bristol today and despite selecting 'lock Classic' when I had a signal, this changed by itself in Bristol and locked to a local station, again the messages already logged were deleted.

Is this a question of the Classic FM signal not being picked up by the provided antenna or is it alternative TMC data signals that Navigon cannot decipher ? Would a Y splitter help to route my car antenna to the GPS mouse ?

Any help or suggestions gratefully received !
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I have Navigon too - I can only tell you what I have experienced.

Yes you will get a patchy signal from time to time - I personally feel it has something to do with the small ariel. Saying that I've always managed to pick up enough of a signal to get warnings etc and I have driven all over the country with it.

The y splitter should help as it will pick up a better signal as long as the station is acailable in that area.
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, I think I will order the splitter and see if that makes the reception of Classic any better. The most annoying thing is when it locks onto another station and deletes the messages , not sure if there is a way round this though.

I went out today and after receiving 30+ messages on the M6, and locked to Classic it suddenly locked to a local station and deleted 15 messages before I told it to retune. When it picked up Classic again I locked it and it stayed with the signal for the rest of the journey.

I'll post a message when I get the splitter an (hopefully) a better lock on Classic.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how you get on.

I'm tempted to buy one myself
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you buy your splitter from? Recommended? or not?
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Splitter Reply with quote

Not ordered it yet, I was wondering whether there was an alternative or if I do buy it - whether I can extend it so I can run the GPS mouse away from the dashboard.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to. Either by extending the aerial lead or the lead from the Y to the TMC unit. All fittings seems to be fairly standard and avaliable from maplin
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should find the Y-splitter improves reception of Classic greatly - however there are still geographical "black holes". I commute from Lancaster to Blackpool and when I was still using the bit of wire supplied as standard with Navigon, reception of Classic was so patchy, it was virtually useless. Fitting the Y-splitter has helped greatly but I still usually lose Classic about five miles north of Preston. I can just about get a (very feeble) signal as I travel along the M55 but it's still very patchy. I put this down to the fact that the so-called "Morecambe Bay" transmitter is on low power and is actually located near Barrow!

In conclusion, the Y-splitter is a must-have but I think you're ultimately at the mercy of Classic's transmitters, in terms of geographical dispersion and power.

--

Dave
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have finally got round to ordering the Y splitter from Navigon, I will post the outcome in couple of weeks !
Navsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There, Finally got through to Navigon and complained about the lack of TMC on MN 5 to their Support Line. They told me that they are aware of the problem and that in about 2 weeks there would be a download to correct the problem. Hopfully this means TMC in UK will be available to MN 5 users like me. :D

Steve.
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Y Splitter update Reply with quote

OK, got the splitter from the Navigon website 49 euros incl delivery. Its actually the same one that is on the http://www.gns-gmbh.com/en/ site only the delivery from Navigon is only 9 euros (and is still came in a 8 days)

Anyway, I drove to work today and managed to keep the Classic signal all the way there and back which was a fantastic improvement and for once I felt that the Navigon was doing what I bought it for !!

However (there's always a downside !) - when I went out at lunchtime and turned on Navigon the TMC had tuned on to a local station (Wyvern) and the 'Lock' status had changed from Classic to Wyvern. I can't see why Navigon changed what I had set it to earlier other than I understand that Wyvern broadcast TMC messages Navigon can't decipher (which is frustrating as they are a GWR group member)

Anyone else had the same problem with the Lock status changing ?

Does anyone know if there is anything we can get done about the other GWR stations broadcasting TMC that Navigon can't read and cause your stored Navigon messages to be deleted ?
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current set up with the Y splitter (and now Bluetooth) is a vast improvement but I'm still annoyed about the 'Hold' station changing of its own accord.

I'm wondering whether Navigon would consider a patch to make the 'hold' option act like a normal FM radio and hold the station (retuning as you move round the country) regardless of whether it was transmitting TMC info all the time ? I appreciate that this may only be useful in the UK as we only have Classic FM broadcasting TMC that Navigon can use.

Anyone got any thoughts / advice ?
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dio,

I agree that the Navigon RDS TMC lock can be a pain. Mine tends to get stuck on Century FM.

As far as I know there is no fix or workaround for this. Also I doubt Navigon will delelop a patch for it now as they have released Navigon5 - even if the TMC isn't supported in the UK.

Chris
dio
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed Navigon UK support for what its worth to see if they agree with the problems and to comment on a patch to fix. I don't hold out any hope for a response !

I would have thought that with Version 5 not supporting TMC in the UK they would offer some help to 4.2 users to make it a truly worthwhile product.

I feel a bit cheated after the cost of a full Bluetooth and TMC set up.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree,

I have no time for this company any more Grrrr

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: