Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - H/W, S/W ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

H/W, S/W ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: H/W, S/W ??? Reply with quote

when reading about a gps receiver interface one can see s/w, h/w.. what does it mean???
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: H/W, S/W ??? Reply with quote

Can you explain a little further ?

Are you talking about the interface, or GPS receivers in general ?
Bubble
Occasional Visitor

This is a rip from holux gm-270u cf receiver specifiacton:

(from their homepage)

Interface H/W : Compact Flash - CF type I

S/W : Emulated COM-port (Com1¡ã8; auto select)

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Most GPS Receivers (at least the Compact Flash ones) are Compact Flash (CF) Type I compatible. This means you can use them in a Pocket PC or Laptop that will support a Compact Flash Type I or Type II socket (Type II being slightly deeper).

S/W Emuldated COM-port basically means that on a PDA (eg Pocket PC), you'll see emulated COM ports. These aren't like the usual COM ports you'll get on a PC, when you plug hardware in they'll assign the next available COM port it can use to the device (a bit like Plug and Play).
Bubble
Occasional Visitor

okay.. but i suppose h/w and s/w is an abbrevation of something????

and an important question:

according to my rip, holux is a CF card type I.

does this mean it will fit in both CF type I and type II slot????

in some specification their is no information which type of CF it is. Does this mean i can have it in both CF type I/II slots?

and if it just says CF type II it just for CF II slots?

but CF type I will fit in both?

thanks for helping!

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Yes, h/w=hardware and s/w=software.

Yes, a CF Type I card will fit a CF Type I slot, CF Type II slot and a PCMCIA slot (with adapter), but a CF Type II card will not fit a CF Type I slot, but will also fit a PCMCIA slot (with adapter).

If there aren't any specifications of which type it is, assume CF Type I as this is the most compatible, otherwise they will list it as CF Type II.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The only thing with PCMCIA (or, as we are now supposed to call it, PC Card) to CompactFlash adapters is that a lot of the adapters only support Type 1 CompactFlash cards.

There are some on the market that support Type 2 cards - these tend to be slightly more expensive. The adapter I use is the model from Pretec that has CompactFlash Type 2 compatibility.

Most CompactFlash cards are Type 1 (this includes most, if not all CompactFlash GPS cards), though there are some Type 2 cards out there, including the Sandisk 1GB memory card, IBM Microdrives and a handful of non-memory CompactFlash cards.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That used to be the case about a year ago, but most of the good names adapters that have been released in the last year do now support CF Type II CF cards.

Certainly all the ones I've purchased in the past year have all supported Type II.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: