Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Elimination of cables
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Elimination of cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeIB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Elimination of cables Reply with quote

The one thing that has stopped me buying any form of satnav for my car has been the need to have a power cable draped from the cigarette lighter to the device. I'm worried it will get in the way and it just looks so messy. I was particularly disappointed to see that the iCN630 requires a power cable given everything else is built in.

Some kind of long life rechargeable battery would be perfect, even if it were heavy, so long as it was small or could be secreted somewhere. Alternatively perhaps it is possible to route a thin power cable between the engine compartment and the cabin.
fysmd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Elimination of cables Reply with quote

I have my iPaq mounted to the right of the dash, hanging from the windscreen. The only cable connected to it is the plug into the bottom which connects to the GPS. This wire I run into the dash through the small gap offered around the steering colum (adjustable).

From there it runs behind the dash to 4way adapter which also powers a phone charger and MP3 jukebox. Only 4 inches or so of the wire are visable and when not in use, it simply lies over the top of my steering colum - very inobtrusive.

The only other wire on show is that from the 4way to the fag lighter socket (sorry, accessory socket, my ca didn't come equiped with a lighter - why the ashtray then.....)

I'm evenutually going to secrete a long wire to the accessory socket in the boot and connect my 4 way there. I suspect that this socket (in the boot) is permanently live, have to check..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

I'll have to take a picture of my install some time (probably when I clean the inside of the car so it's not covered in dust!).

I have a Nokia car kit and a Brodit mount for my iPAQ installed. All the wires disappear straight behind the dashboard at the nearest point possible, and it all looks very neat. The wiring is all plugged into my Zafira's VDA carphone connector, which provides power, and for the phone, a link to both the mute and audio input on the radio as well as connection to the Zafira's built in microphone.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: