Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - does heat affect your gps receiver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

does heat affect your gps receiver?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomjeffs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well nothing is perfect I guess, but its a design compromise at best since there are no easy ways to channel the heat away from the mouse. I can only suggest attaching a side-exit fan and vane to the bottom of the mouse to channel the heat away, but obviously that wouldn't be very pretty Smile

I suggest placing the mouse directly in front of a window vent to take the heat away, although this could be problematic on a cold day!
Rifleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinkrat wrote:
I have the Ipaq 1710 and Tom Tom wired GPS. My GPS wont fix at all after standing in the sun all day at work. the statallites are all visable but just wont lock on. When the cars cool in the morning it locks staright away. As soon as the receiver cools again all is well. I have tried moving the receiver under the dash, but the signal wont pick up as well even when cool. going to France next month which is why I upgraded to TTN5. Just hope it cools down a bit soon otherwise I've wasted my money till the winter anyway ! Laughing Out Loud!

Rinkrat

Be prepared for a shock on petrol prices in France. Just come back this weekend after 2 weeks down south. Petrol was cheapest at supermarkets @ 80p/ltr and about 90p/ltr elswhere for unleaded 95. I was only paying about 64p/ltr last year and have just filled up for 83p/ltr at the local Asda!!

If you want to do any forward route planning before you go then don't rely on TT5, it's pants ! I had the luxury of taking two PDAs, one with TT3 and the other TT5. TT3 is much much easier to use, far more reliable and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in the maps.
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem - on hot days, my wired TT receiver can see plenty of satellites, but seems unable to lock onto them (ie. shows the signal strength bars in the GPS application in Grey rather than in Red).

I have a heat reflective windscreen (Citroen Picasso - apparently most French cars have this kind of windscreen), but it does have a gap in the "heatshield" above the rear view mirror (I think this is where the French put they're electronic Toll Road passes etc, which don't work elesewhere because of the windscreen coating).

I reported the fault to TT, who suggested it's the attenuation caused by the heat / windshield glass - and that I should move the GPS receiver, or use a re-radiating antennae (as suggested in another forum).

I can't move the receiver easily - only other place would be the rear parcel shelf, and from reading this forum, it won't solve the problem if heat is causing the receiver to fail. Installing a re-radiating antennae is just messy, and I don't believe that I should have to.

They've offered to replace the receiver under warranty - but the small print suggests I may be charged for this if no fault is found. I get the impression that TT will say I'm using the receiver outside of it's tolerance, and charge me - but surely if it doesn't work in british summer (not just the exceptional days - whenever it's hot) - it's not fit for purpose?.

What do you guys recommend - return it and take a chance / build a little white protective house over it / or spend £100 on a BT receiver and endure all the iPAQ 2210 bluetooth problems?.
tomjeffs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try it in another car first.
MartinBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Heat affecting GPS Receiver? Reply with quote

I have the RZ1710 Navigation pack and have the same heat issue, however I have found that if you place the receiver above the roof lining, it solves a number issues:

Keeps it out of direct sunlight
Keeps it out of sight
Neater (If you can channel the cable down the A Post)

It still receives GPS signals okay and haven't noticed a loss of signal...but then I drive a vauxhall where the metal is probably thinner than tin foil. :-D
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it's definately faulty - it worked OK yesterday am on way to work - went home lunchtime (after a sunny morning in the car park) and it produced the same fault.

So I stopped, undid my neat cabling job in the ceiling trim, and put the receiver through the open sunroof (magnet was strong enough to hold it on the metal even when moving) - it still failed to lock, despite parking up in a layby, in clear view of the sky for around 20 mins.

I eventually gave up, and continued my journey home (with receiver still in the open air). It finally locked onto the satellites when I got home 20 mins later - I assume when the airflow had cooled the unit down sufficiently.

TomTom have agreed to take it back under warranty (UPS collecting it today), and replace it. I'll let you know how I get on with the replacement.
SHADOW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinkrat wrote:
Dont think my windsceen is a blocking one as far as i know !

Shadow & Co. can you tell us how and of what you made your mouse house of ?

As this is maybe worth a try before I try another GPS mouse or send mine to be checked !

Thanks Rinkrat
...hi rinkrat..sorry i have took so long to reply to your post..i made the housing from the end of a 12 pack of weetabix box..just cut across box about three inches up from base then painted it matt black to reflect the sun then i placed blu tac on base as this is easily removable from dash..now gps has been sweet in the heat..Thumbs Up
spiritouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Same problem with wired Tom Tom GPS Reply with quote

I think you guys may have a point, my wired tom tom GPS does not seem to work on hot days.

Seems a bad design considering these things are meant to sit on the dash to work.

Do we have to resort to paper maps on hot days?
AnnoyedWithTomtom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Same problem with wired Tom Tom GPS Reply with quote

spiritouk wrote:
I think you guys may have a point, my wired tom tom GPS does not seem to work on hot days.

Seems a bad design considering these things are meant to sit on the dash to work.

Do we have to resort to paper maps on hot days?

hehe ... yeah, put the map on top of the receiver Joker

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: