Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom European Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom European Maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom European Maps Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the link. A good indepth review of the Tom Tom European maps. If I ever decide to venture into Europe with my own car, it will be something that I will definately take with me.

Regards Alan
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom European Maps Reply with quote

I'm not expecting it soon either. But hopefully it will come. I don't know how suppliers provide their data, but if the maps were split down into many files, then a system could be developed whereby your maps were always up to date. Similar to the AvantGo synchronisation, it would just need to work out what has changed every time you cradle your iPaq and you're away again. Much less bandwidth (after the first download).

I'm guessing that some countries are vague (or non-existant) because the compilers of map data pool their resources into the data that makes them more money? Do they collect the data themselves, or are there country-specific sub-contractors? Is it collected via map analysis, or driving down the road with a GPS recorder (might sound stupid, but I have no idea)? It's a shame that some places are very incomplete at the moment.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to do something like Mapopolis where you could download the entire country maps or even European maps. It probably wouldn't be too much of an issue stateside as bandwidth and leased lines are dirt cheap in the US. Now that TomTom have a US office, it's quite possible they could go this route, but I don't think it will happen for a while. At least I can't see them allowing for the whole of Europe as a download, maybe parts of a country or up to a complete country.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

Dave - yes, there is that. I thought it too, but I was thinking about a rosier future, and figured I could get away with not being realistic

That said, I'm guessing that each CD is not completely full (650 odd megs - I'd guess these are more of a re-hash of existing software minus the core application), and users would not want the whole lot (I don't want the whole of the UK, plus all of the individual breakdowns), so it's not perhaps as bad as that (5.2 gig multiplied by hundreds of thousands).

I guess it's a weigh up between the cost of packaging/design/postage against bandwidth/security, but people like handango seem to make it swing in their favour. Microsoft's bandwidth must be bigger than my belt.

Heck, six years ago 16mb ram was big boys stuff, and you didn't really need your 14.4 modem, since there wasn't an internet of much use to dial up to. I'm guessing that with the increase in connection speed will come the increase in providers bandwidth over the next couple of years, and downloading 100mb tomorrow will be nothing. That is unless the mapping suppliers provide an on-line alternative, TomTom just supply the software to interact with it, HP bring down the price of a wireless iPaq (or provide some sort of 3G connectivity), and a company establishes a global wireless networking provision.

Hey, it could happen. We put a man on the moon, after all. But there were no bridges on the way, and they didn't need to set any via points for petrol on the way...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I don't think it's the case of people having broadband, it's more of the case of what bandwidth fees will cost. If you look at say the European maps, if someone wants to download the whole set, you're talking about 8 CD's. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands of customers and their website will soon become unavailable 90% of the time.
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

nulusios - I do know what you mean, it must be annoying. Although as I understand it the set is packaged as maps of western europe, and it looks like they're considering Greece to be out of this region.

From what it looks like they've launched a package that does exactly what it says, although it would seem to take the lazy route of getting there. I'd certainly buy it for travelling around Europe. Looks like their installation utility doesn't cope with multiple discs, which is a shame.

Is there any mention of annual upgrade fees, or is this a one-off purchase that you have to re-buy? Also a shame that you effectively buy the same map twice. You'd think they'd work out some sliding scale whereby you purchase the core software and select the map(s) you want, ranging from just the one country to full european (or eventually global).

With broadband access becoming more normal they can't be that far off on-line purchasing/upgrades...
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

Well, the maps for Portugal away from the very large cities are still almost completely useless. They don't even have any roads going to the airport at Faro - the biggest air terminal soth of Lisbon.
CoRCoVaDo
Occasional Visitor

I very am disappointed because routes between countries cannot be done. This does not happen in SmartST, Destinator or Alturion. I hope that it is solved.

Regards.
nulusios
Regular Visitor

ONCE MORE seems Greece is NOT Europe.

If it's not, we may very well have to take the NAME Europe back. Right?

Seems the 2004 Olympics are going to start in Middle-Earth...

I just hope there are maps for Beleriad.

Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

Thanks Mike, that is most helpful.

We laughed at the order from TomTom not to install without first reading the instructions, and if you get into trouble, refer back to the instructions! When we realised that there weren't any instructions we just put it all back in the box and waited for you to do a review :0)))))
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mike has just completed the review of TomTom European Maps. Please note that this review doesn't go heavily into the testing of maps, but details what you get in the package and how you install and switch maps.

The full review can be read here
randrade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago I made a trip in the north interior of Portugal, as always, I used my TomTom Nav2 with me.
Still in Lisbon, I found a good map detail but as soon as I leave the highway… NOTHING !!!! It’s amazing how a European road like the E807 doesn’t appear in the database (a 7 years old road!). Few hours later we stopped at Guarda, maybe the major city at north interior…. Once again NOTHING !!!! I start losing my calm…
Saturday morning we spent a few hours in Spain (15 Km away from Guarda), as soon as we cross the border we took the road EX-125 a 2.5 meters wide road… Amazing it was on map !!!!
Few minutes after that, we went into the “Sierra de la Gata” by what seems to be a bicycle track… Ohhh Nooo, it was also on map !!!

Conclusion, I do really understand the faithless of nulusios.
Question to TeleAtlas and TomTom, are Portugal and Greece the backdoor of Europe?

Thx
Embarassed
randrade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Portugal Maps coverage Reply with quote

PS: I almost forgot... All TTN2 users, good luck for Euro2004!!! You will need it if you go to Portugal! Twisted Evil
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ive already got my drive of victory worked out and programmed into TTNV2 .!

Cheers
Nick
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randrade wrote:
8O Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago I made a trip in the north interior of Portugal, as always, I used my TomTom Nav2 with me.
Still in Lisbon, I found a good map detail but as soon as I leave the highway… NOTHING !!!! It’s amazing how a European road like the E807 doesn’t appear in the database (a 7 years old road!). Few hours later we stopped at Guarda, maybe the major city at north interior…. Once again NOTHING !!!!

So, can anybody recommend a package that does show more detail on Portuguese roads? I'm back there twice this year and it really would be helpful to have the GPS aware of roads.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: