Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 losing fix, fail to get fix, plenty of sats in view?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 losing fix, fail to get fix, plenty of sats in view?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: TT3 losing fix, fail to get fix, plenty of sats in view? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

a bit of a weird problem that been getting progressivly worse over the past few weeks. I'm using a standard TomTom GPS (diamond shaped, silver) with a HP iPAQ 2210 - which has all previously worked relatively well. The cradle is hardwired to the car battery, so provides constant power to the GPS - meaning that it always had a fix, or took almost no time to establish a fix if it came out of the garage etc

But recently I've been unable to get a satellite fix TT reporting that Satellite unreliable or words to that effect. If I switch to the GPS application in the background, i can usually see 4 - 7 satellites in grey bars, and plotted on the small circular NESW chart alongside. After 30 mins or so, it sometimes locks on, several bars go red, and Navigator starts working.

But equally often, nothing happens, it just reports 4,5,67, or even 8 satellites, but fails to lock for the entire journey.

It seems (no scientific evidence, or recording to prove this!) to happen mostly on hot sunny days - so don't know if the GPS suffers if it gets hot?.

Does the"lock" come from the GPS receiver (which is only a year old, bought from PDAmods as a replacement for my unreliable (2210 problem) Bluetooth receiver) or the TT Navigator software on the PPC?.

Can anyone offer advice?.

Thanks

Jamie
slartyb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the same behaviour with my Bluetooth TomTom GPS. Occasionally gets a fix then drops it again immediately. I've decided the gps is probably defective so have contacted TomTom by email - just seen their Uk customer service number (0845 1610009) posted here though so will try calling them.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the"lock" come from the GPS receiver (which is only a year old, bought from PDAmods as a replacement for my unreliable (2210 problem) Bluetooth receiver) or the TT Navigator software on the PPC?.

The lock originates from the GPS unit.

Roger
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had this problem with the wired GPS and an Ipaq 1710 plus tom tom 5. I am starting to think its linked to the hot weather though !

My Gps works and locks fine first thing in the morning, but after the cars been standing in the sun all day, although the satts are visable , I cannot get a fix until what seems like the receiver has cooled down if I move the receiver to in front of an air con vent this ssems to speed up the process !

Maybe the heats a coincidence though !

Anyone else any ideas ?

Rinkrat
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Socket GPS that specifically states it should not exceed 60 degrees centigrade.

I used a digital thermometer to measure dashboard temperatures, in a closed car, in the sun, back in April. Guess what, I got readings of 60 degrees plus.

Have since moved GPS to cooler position!!!

Roger
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger

I have tried to find a cooler position than the top of the dash but my signal seems to the suffer big time ! Isthis because of the GPS unit I have ( standard Tom tom wired ).

Anyone give any clues to a better position thats cooler but still good for signal !

Tony
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony

Yes - that's the problem. I eventually bought a re-radiating antenna to solve the problem for around 40 GBP. Works a treat. Seven plus satellites all the time.

Roger
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger
Can I ask where you got this from and make etc ! I am a bit of a beginner Im afraid ! Does it still sit on dash or a cooler place ( where is that ?)

Will this be OK with my IPAq 1710 and TTN5.

I would really like to be able to use my system all year round, not just in cold weather !

Thanks

Tony
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinkrat

I bought mine from here:

http://gpsbitz.co.uk/gpsbitz_store/view_product.php?product=ANT3&PHPSESSID=2b13732b1c9e26c0674bfb7df303a3c0

There are many other suppliers but this was the cheapest I could find.

I think the advert explains the basic principle so I'll let you read it first.

Must be able to survive the heat since you can mount on vehicle roof if required.

Roger
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger !

Am i right in thinking that this is used as well as my original GPS receiver and justs improves signal so I can remount my original in a cooler position or does it replace my original GPS receiver altogether ! Sorry to be a bit thick !

Tony
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinkrat

Quote:
Am i right in thinking that this is used as well as my original GPS receiver and justs improves signal so I can remount my original in a cooler position.

Exactly! Just position the re-radiating antenna, the rod shaped bit, within 450 mm of your existing GPS. Closer is better.

Roger
rinkrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help Roger !

Tony
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I guess that would fix it, but I still think the TT unit should work in all weather.

I've submitted a fault to TT by email (as I can't get through on the phone - must be all you TT5 fella's keeping them busy!), and hopefully they'll replace the GPS. I guess it must be a small number of receivers affected, as only a handfull of people have responded to this post - so perhaps there's a small faulty batch out there?.

If TT give me the option, perhaps I'll consider paying extra for a Bluetooth receiver, then it doesn't have to stay in the car when it's parked up (my car has a heat reflective shield, so the receiver has to sit on top of my rear view mirror, and the wired receiver is awkward to move in and out of the car each time).
thedon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I should have said, the dash doesn't lend itself to running a cable from the ciggy lighter to the re-radiating antennae, and still remain within 450 mm of the GPS - even if it did, it would be really untidy, and the £100 for a BT receiver would be better than months of earache from'er indooors!.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: