Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Could TT5 maps actually be older than before?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Could TT5 maps actually be older than before?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Houdini
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point dmac

Maybe just maybe Teleatlas have a sliding scale of charges based upon how up to date the maps are, new / 1 year old / 2 years old ...older maps = less dosh.

If this is the case then let me guess which option TT took.

Be fair though.... Rolling Eyes if you provided your punters with the latest up to date info at day 1, it would be ages and ages and ages before you could sell them any updated maps. (updated = less old) :P
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coverage re. Bristol - here's the reason why a software solution using Navteq would be worth plucking for:

http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=6422529&l=0&u=0&v=0&cp=70C0B239AA711939&z=26&w=600&h=450&d=2&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

Hopefully, the link'll work, if not - just zoom in and stuff to find the bit of the world that you're interested in...

S
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.. Thats more like it.. How can a company whos business to create map data (i.e Tele Atlas) have such out of date data..

I heard a rumor today that TomTom was going to change map supplier.. Has anyone else heard this?

Jon
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jweaver wrote:

I heard a rumor today that TomTom was going to change map supplier.. Has anyone else heard this?

Jon

unless you were in their office in Amsterdam when you heard this rumour I wouldn't think there is an ounce of truth in it!

Also Navteq (in my humble opion) aren't much better than teleatlas - just try mapopolis for a few days with your local map - for me Cambridge coverage is as good (bad?) as teleatlas.

Ian
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the home page - there's an announcement from Navteq that they're enabling TomTom to be "Navteq map ready" - so who knows when it'll happen...

S
RobStevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac wrote:
check out http://maps.google.co.uk/
Data is supplied by Teleatlas................you would think if data
is published in one area there is little excuse for it not appearing within TT.
Beta version of google maps predates release of TT5[/url]

...Yikes!

I've just returned from a short break in Northern Ireland, and I was shocked at how poor TTN3's coverage was. As we drove through a suburb of Belfast where my wife's parents lived thirty years ago, I sat in embarrassed silence as TomTom showed open fields.

And, on that "recent" map, I can still see some of the errors I noticed while I was over there. Southwest of Belfast is the town of Lisburn, and from Lisburn a road heads North, then apparently twists round a hairpin bend to head almost due East towards Belfast. That's what TTN3 also shows, but it's wrong: it's a junction where the road from Lisburn meets the road that heads out from Belfast, and if you turn left rather than right, the invisible road curves Northwest to Dundrod (shown as a village entirely unconnected to any roads whatsoever) and onwards to the A26/A52 junction. Other villages in the vicinity are also shown without roads: Ireland isn't THAT rural!
Soulah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM sure I read somewhere recently that Tomtom where changing providers? Although if I remember correctly they were saying if it was only going to affect the new tomtom rider product or something.

But yes, There is a road behind me that is one way, tomtom has shown this road the wrong way one way since version 2. I have submitted map error reports for this street and a road new me in town that is completely wrong since version 2 and they are still incorrect now.

Its disapointing, but like you say I guess its not exactly tomtoms fault, and yes its a large area to map for teleatlas. BUT, if they cant update a road 5 years on.. Jesus thats just taking the **** and rightly so tomtom should change data providers.

On the whole Ive always gotten to where I wanted to go with tomtom, having never visited bristol, and it being such a large place in the UK, you'd think theyd at least update major cities once every 5 / 6 years over 3 software reincarnations with "new updated UK road map data" Smile
stephenmorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My street is not on the the TTN 3 or 5 (It was the first thing I checked) maps. We are shown on OS maps from the 1930s. Does that make my steet the most out of date in TTN?

On the whole I am pleased with version 5 and the new? maps. They show the intersection of the M42 and M6 toll which is good for me. I like the new postcode feature.

I must admit TTN has made my life so much easier. I travel for work. I hated having to drive to a new company for the first time. Now it is so much more relaxed. I know I will get a reasonably accurate set of directions. Not perfect but good enough.

I cannot find the Channel Islands. I am planning a holiday. I have tried the UK and France maps. Any ideas?

Best wishes, Stephen.
Acropolis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that the M6 toll road has finally been added to the maps, was not impressed when it wasnt on the TT3 update.

I have been over to Ireland southern and northern 3 times in the last 12 months, and have asked tomtom weather tt3 would work over there, and their answer has been as follows

"The Northern Ireland map coverage from our DIGITAL map provider Tele Atlas is only 28 percent and we do not know if there will be more coverage of this area in 2005.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

so i take this to mean that they do not support northern or southern ireland at all, so i wouldnt be surprised if there were massive map errors when you tried the software over there.
GlenW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Try the maps of Spain! Reply with quote

I have recently used TT5 in Spain and the maps showed where the villa was located (little more than a goat trail) but the roads in Granada where mince! Spent an hour and a half trying to get out of the place! Otherwise I have found TT5 maps to be fine but not completlt error free.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I noticed that TT5 will try and route from the M25 to the B366 at the A3 junction - this has not been possible for over ten years.
DigiGuru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had great fun...

A road near me in Watford has been no-through-road for a good 8 years now... on TT3, it knew there was a mini roundabout and that you couldn't go down that road.

TT5 thinks it's a normal crossroad again and directs me to go down the road.

Why are TT5 maps showing errors TT3 DIDN'T have?

Oh... and I went to south wales last week - on the M49, as TT5 didn't tell me about the toll bridge on the M4 (I forgot to take cash)

Off we went along the M49 when suddenly, I jumped into the middle of a field, over 3 different roads and finally back onto the M49 again.
Now there's something I'd never done before!

Stu
caspartfg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's unlikely that TT are going to move away from Teleatlas as they signed a 3 year contract extension earlier this month:

http://www.tomtom.com/investor/press.php?ID=153&Year=2005&Language=1
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - To gauge the accuracy of TeleAtlas map data, I've posted a question on the Navman forum to determine whether the latest version of Smart ST has any of the "map" issues being spoken about on here...

In essence, if TT are using out-of-date maps, performing a comparison with another provider who uses the same map data will highlight any shortfalls. If I get any replies, I'll let you know.

IMO, from looking around, it looks like Garmin are the only serious GPS/Navigation supplier. On their website, they detail the release date of the map data supplied with their products; you can check out the accuracy of the maps (see earlier post) and if you buy an out-dated product after a new version has been released, you get a free upgrade - customer service?? I certainly think so. It's just a shame that the GUI and usability is lacking.

Question for you all, can those of you who have posted map anomalies check out my earlier link to find your anomaly and report back as to whether or not it exists in Garmin's data?

Many thx

S
RobStevens
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Interesting.

The village of Dundrod appears to be missing from the Garmin map, but there IS a "Dundrod Road" coming up from Lisburn to the A26/A52 roundabout. And the villages of Aghalee and Aghagallon (southeast of Lough Neagh) have been reconnected to the road network.

This is an improvement on TTN3 and on the TeleAtlas map link posted by dmac. As I don't have TTN5, I can't tell if it's in there or not.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: