Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best GPS for Mt. Biking and Motorocycling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best GPS for Mt. Biking and Motorocycling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikeaddict
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best GPS for Mt. Biking and Motorocycling Reply with quote

I live in Utah and spend a good deal of time in the Rocky Mountains mountain biking and riding my xr650. I'd like to help map out some of the small trails that run rampant throughout Utah. I'm looking for a good GPS that will do the following:

* Have good reception in the mountains.

* Allow me to upload maps of existing trails. (specifically, national forest, topo maps and other small roads and trails)

* Allow me to track my progress along these trails in real time.

* Allow me to track my progress when I LEAVE the trail. (this is ideal for the small trails that aren't on the maps)

* Allow me to download to my computer the path that I took during my trip. (ideally, I could chart the path, as well as the ascent and descent graphically, then layover an existing map on my computer)

* Altimeter (for tracking ascents and descents)

* Tracking trip time and speed (averages, highs, lows) would be nice.

* Water resistant. (not required, but nice)

* Good computer software. I'm not really sure if any even come with software, but if one does, and the software is good, I'm interested.

* I would like to spend less than $300??

Any ideas???

There is a great deal online for a Garmin eTrex Legend right now, but I read that they have "substantially reduced GPS feature set as compared with competitive models ", and that other models have the "feature mix for serious hiking activities".
Asahi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Best GPS for Mt. Biking and Motorocycling Reply with quote

I am looking for the Exact same thing. I woudl love to hear some more experienced input. I found that the Garmin Etrex Vista is what we need. I believe the Legend is lacking the altimeter.

Coudl someone comment on the reception of the Garmin products while in the mouintains as well as software.

I found the Garmin Etrex Vista for $250 shipped by going through www.nextag.com.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

It depends on how much you want to spend. Personally I'd go with the GPSMAP's like a GPSMap76/GPSMap76s. You can do it with smaller screens and less features like the legend or vista, these will certainly accept Garmin Topo maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: