Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 & HP 4700 or Asus A730
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 & HP 4700 or Asus A730

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: TTN5 & HP 4700 or Asus A730 Reply with quote

For those of you who has a HP 4700 and received your TTN5 already, does the program still have memory leak and exit freeze? It was a known problem for the 4700 using TTN2004/4.4 as stated in ipaqhq.com

I have an Asus A730 and also had the exact same problem as the 4700 owners for my TTN2004. I really hope it has been fixed in TTN5. Thanks!
insanity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take this as gospel as I only got it this morning, but I've been using TT5 on my hx4700 throughout the day. It has frozen twice, but only when exiting the program (at the point at which it turns the bluetooth off). Slightly irritating, but I'll live with that as I've been doing a soft reset at that point anyway as I change SD cards back to my other one with all my other programs on it.

It hasn't frozen or leaked memory (from what I can see) at all during the time it has been running though.
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for your reply. How long did it freeze on exit? Anything close to 1 minute or above? I found out from TTN2004 that the longer the program ran, the longer it froze trying to release the BT connection. I personally think it is irritating because every time I reach the destination, I just want to exit and turn off the pda and leave. The freezing will make it a much longer process =(

Thanks!
insanity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a couple of seconds at most every time it exited - I didn't count that as 'freezing'...

On the two occasions I resorted to soft-resetting my iPAQ, I only left it about 5-10 seconds (I'm an impatient man sometimes!), so it may well have revived itself after a while longer. Thinking about it, those two times were after the two times I had it running for a longish period...
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I think this problem has NOT been fixed since v2004. I really don't know how TomTom tested the program and added it to the compatible list.
NickW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: TTN5 & HP 4700 or Asus A730 Reply with quote

outie wrote:
For those of you who has a HP 4700 and received your TTN5 already, does the program still have memory leak and exit freeze? It was a known problem for the 4700 using TTN2004/4.4 as stated in ipaqhq.com

I have an Asus A730 and also had the exact same problem as the 4700 owners for my TTN2004. I really hope it has been fixed in TTN5. Thanks!

I have a 4700, and can confirm that it almost always hangs on exit, if used for say more than a few minutes. So far it has always recovered within about 3 minutes.

The most irritating thing is it turns bluetooth off on the 4700!!! It only seems to do this if a route has been planed, so if you just go in and out of TomTom then it's fine.

Anyone know a fix?

Regards,

Nick.
connor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a bit gutting. My old TTN3 used to work perfectly, but now traffic has died! It seems to be related to the BlueTooth issue.

It's a hx4700->sonyericsson T610.

Most of the time it doesn't work at all, but occasionally it starts sending info (can hear the link on my speakers) for about 20 seconds, then the phone says 'Bluetooth connection lost'.

I read somewhere else about TTN hijacking the bluetooth stack. Could this be it?

Also, perhaps it's the memory requirements of those lovely VGA graphics. I'm seeing 9mb free with just the app loaded. Perhaps BT is shutting down through lack of RAM?

I'm quite disappointed. After having to bodge the installation to get postcodes to work, I'm not massively impressed with TomTom's testing.

Those VGA graphics are great though, eh? Shame they couldn't support rotated screens correctly. Don't know about you lot but I like to hold down calendar to rotate. Don't much like having the s/w take direct control. Holding down calendar seemed to just kill the PPC, had to soft reset.

Not seen the lock up issue (or RAM leak) yet, but I've only ran it for minutes at a time.

Is anybody else's traffic working? (i.e. is it just me?)
NickW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further note on Bluetooth: It does turn it back on when you go into TomTom!

Other poster: My traffic works fine.
connor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick.

Mine's started working properly now as well. I guess I'll put it down to teething troubles.

Looks like the Bluetooth turning off issue isn't specific to us, either. Which I guess gives me some confidence that it'll be fixed soon. I'm guessing that it's not an issue for the GO, which is probably the prime development vehicle now.

I still can't get over the quality of the display. It's what these VGA screens were meant for. Despite all the trouble, I'm still really glad I upgraded, and I actually quite like the new UI. Much slicker. I can live without the screen customisation.

I'm seeing pretty smooth scrolling, I'd guess about 7 frames per second. I'm just letting everyone know because I heard from some others that they were seeing slow scrolling on VGA. I'm installed on a 1GB Transcend 45x speed SD card.
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that not many people get irritated by this problem. It is in fact a problem that existed in the older version (2004, 4.4), but they have not fixed it.

As for bluetooth turning off when you exit, it is a normal behavior since 2004/4.4. If you originall had bluetooth turned on before you run Tomtom, tomtom will turn it off and on and connects. This can be fixed by choosing "OTHER wired devices" with your gps speed and bluetooth port instead of a bluetooth device (it will work regardless), and then remove the Bluetooth Support in Remove programs.

Have you guys also tested if there's a memory leak? For example, check the "about us/ check version" screen and it'll say the amount of free RAM you have, check every 15min. (I know this sounds strange especially if you are driving, but I have been testing indoor).

I can let ttn2004 run for about 1.x hour until it runs of memory.

How long was the longest drive you have without device crashing/out of memory?

Thanks!
genghisackroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two penny worth:

For the first time today I travelled over an hour and the thing locked up - I had just got to a sliproad off the motorway and while I could hear the instructions I could not change from the safety screen and it would not change back automatically. This also happened to a colleague of mine who also has a 4700 and TTN5.

I upgraded from TTN3 and never had an instance of this. I realise there may be issues with initail releases but it was never this bad when going from TTN2 to TTN3.Crying or Very sad

I was forced to soft reset and set the safety screen to not come on but I didn' t need to rely on it further.

PDA Current: iPAQ hx4700 + Co-Pilot Live/TomTom 2, 3 & 5 + Fortuna Clip-On + 512Mb Ultra ii SD + 256Mb SD + Brodit Active Mount

PDA History: iPAQs (2210 <-- 3970) <-- Palms (M515 <-- M505)
CL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone confirm to me that Tomtom navigator 5 works with Asus A730? I am contemplating buying one, and seeing the post, I assume that TTN5 has issue with VGA device including Asus A730, HP 4700, and Dell Axim X50v, am I right? How long does the navigator software works before a reset? From tomtom's support website, A730 is not listed as compatible device to TTN5 , but HP 4700 and Axim X50v are.
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@CL: I am an Asus A730 owner so I can tell you don't get TTN5 (yet) if you want to use TTN5 in VGA resolution. I have posted a temporary fix that you need to disable VGA for TTN5 in order for it to work properly, but of course you will lose the beautiful VGA screen until Tomtom offers an update (IF they do).

For me, TTN5 worked for maybe 30-40min before the device locked up. The exit freeze is also annoying, which can also be 'fixed' with the temporary fix I mentioned above.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: