Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious grief from TT5 and my Ipaq 4700. Freezes on exit every time....crashes after lomg use (memory leaks etc) and even forced a full hard reset on Friday as I drove in traffoc on M25 without a clue tp where I was going ( I rid myself of paper maps with Tom Tom 2). I am going to ask Tom tom to fix what is almost beta software *what with the postcode problems...adding a folder manually etc) within a designated period of time or return my money and I wil revert to version 3 which has worked for over a year without a glitch. I will miss the fancy new screen and buttons and the postcode feature but I will have a £ 370 PDA that hasn't become a slightly larger Tom Tom GO

Mark Deadly Smedley
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Brainlag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT5 seems to die on my 4700 after around 1-2hrs - usually while on the motorway. I've discovered it doesn't actually seem to be the application freezing, just the display (and maybe the touchscreen too) as if you carry on driving it will continue to give voice directions.

Until I read this thread I was presuming it was down to me using a version that I recieved in a rar file (IYSWIM) and was about to buy the upgrade this week. Finding out it's actually a reported TT5 bug has disgusted me. After buying TT3 a couple of months ago and being told if I want to have the M6 Toll road I'll have to pay again for the upgrade I think I might just try a different brand of product. Shame, because apart from that and the "no gps receiver" problem I really quite liked TT5.

You've got to seriously wonder what sort of testing TomTom do. How hard can it be to install your product on a number of ipaqs and drive around for a few hours? And demos? Why don't these people release demos, forcing people to either blindly pay for something they might not be able to use, or download a warez version where the person may not feel inclined to pay. I only wish I could get my hands on a copy of Navigon to try; I'm not going to fork out £150 for some software that might not meet my needs...
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after trying it out I am firmly in the camp of thinking that this is a P.O.S.

Freezes on exit almost every time and sometimes just turns the unit of with a reset happening when I turn it back on.

Thinking to send it back and wait till its fixed but I dont have an old version to use in the meantime Sad
Obiwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd chip in that myself others are having the self same problems as yourselves.

Bios version has no effect.

The only difference we've found is that the more you reset our 4700's the less time TTN5 seems to work. Mine started at 3-4 hours but is now down to just 20mins.

Free RAM starts at 31Mb but the unit becomes unstable at anything under 10Mb

I have heard that the number of restarts is stored in the registry and when this number passes a certain point it has created issues with software in the past and resetting this variable back to zero has helped.

My response from TT was :

We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix . We hope to have a solution shortly .

PLease look on our FAQ list in the coming days for the solution .

When I enquired which of the problems they were refering to, memory leak or exit hang they replied :

They are both connected.
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally after a week of pi**ing about with V5 I have reverted back to V3. At least until the various bugs are sorted anyway.

A complete re-install seemed to get the POI's working but now it freezes on exit and consumes all my RAM after about an hour. I just can't cope with all the hassle of things that dont work properly.

I still can't believe that these more serious issues with the HX4700 went undetected in the testing stages.

Overall I like the look of version 5, smooth scrolling is a definite plus, the £50 or so upgrade fee has got to be worth it just for the maps (when us HX4700 users can actually use them reliably!), but at this stage in the game, I must agree with AlanK , definitely a P.O.S.

Sooty
BadTasteUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm only echoing everyone else... but the HX4700 is not exactly a poor selling PDA; surely it's the one that TomTom would use to showcase the product with it's huge screen and VGA res.

I'm really "hacked" off (I'll avoid using the expletive I want to!) :x
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you install the app to ipaq store instead of the auto main mem install? (i have the bt pack which only has the prog on an SD card that automatically installs itself sucks up3mb alone) - is there a decent guide anyplace?
Deadly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom have now offered me a refund....and admitted they have problems. I sincerely believe they have crossed the boundaries with selling something that is untested and probably released just to appease the Dutch Shareholders. I am now considering compensation for the software causing my machine to crash and hard reset. It can only be down to TT5 as it has worked faultlessly for nearly a year until 5 went on freezing and crashing galore. I will hit them where it hurts for insulting loyal users....and I used to knock people that use the cracked version.

Mark Deadly Smedley
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute nightmare - on a 4700 with a Haicom GPS CF Unit with Bluetooth slipper - the freezing up the PDA on exit was really annoying but the memory leak even more so.

Did TomTom actually beta this product or put it out for us to beta - this is unacceptable and is not reflective of the review that PocketGPS posted.

One suggested fix was to use the unit for nothing else - not even Tasks, Appointments for a few days - if I wanted that, then I would have bought TTGo

Is there an ETA on the fix(es) from TomTom - because at the moment the system is worse than useless
Deadly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't belive there is an imminent fix or else they wouldn't have been so quick to offer me a refund...most manufacturers want to try everything before they refund on software and either Tomtom are very generous (doubt it) or they donlt have any solutions in the near future

Mark Deadly Smedley
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was initially so chuffed just to get the programme working at all. Now I've used (or tried) it, I too have asked for my money back. I just wonder if this problem is entirely TomTom's fault. There is a known problem with the 4700 and memory leaks. Maybe TomTom should have been more careful and listed the 4700 as not compatable until Hp fix the memory leak, which will hopefully be done when Windows Mobile 5 comes along with its new memory configuration.
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadly wrote:
I don't belive there is an imminent fix or else they wouldn't have been so quick to offer me a refund...most manufacturers want to try everything before they refund on software and either Tomtom are very generous (doubt it) or they donlt have any solutions in the near future

Well if that's the case it's completely unacceptable - they should not offer this and then 'fess up that they had not checked the 4700 for compatibility

I guess that'll mean a switch to one of the other manufacturers then - any recommendations anyone?
outie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend "downgrading" to TTN3 until they fix it in the future. You'll miss the nice VGA screen but it still gets the job done.

Again this is Tomtom's fault. All VGA devices running TTN4/5 have exit freeze and memory leak.
Obiwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading another suitably corporate missive from that fine body of men and women at TT that would have impressed 'Sir Humpfrey' the implication was that an early fix to this problem was possible but don't hold your breath.

How about CoPilot? or does that come with it's own coding baggage.
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outie wrote:
I'd recommend "downgrading" to TTN3 until they fix it in the future. You'll miss the nice VGA screen but it still gets the job done.

Again this is Tomtom's fault. All VGA devices running TTN4/5 have exit freeze and memory leak.

But that means using maps that are at least 18 months old - and miss such things as the M6 toll road - which is not really acceptable Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: