Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 & Navman Jacket.....help please!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 & Navman Jacket.....help please!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: TT5 & Navman Jacket.....help please! Reply with quote

I have a Navman jacket GPS reciever and TT5. I can't get a signal using tomtom, despite getting a fix using the 'GPS info' program that comes with it, tomtom does pick up the UTC though. Do I need any other drivers (navman 3.1.6 serial driver installed) to get it working? Your help is appreciated.

H
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I used my Navman sleeve with TTN5, with the 3.1.6 driver installed on my iPAQ. I chose "Other cable GPS" and the top option, I think, was Navman Driver.
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Hannibal said is correct, but you will need to set the baud rate to 57600.
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Hmm, I used my Navman sleeve with TTN5, with the 3.1.6 driver installed on my iPAQ. I chose "Other cable GPS" and the top option, I think, was Navman Driver.

i have done this, but it still doesn't work. I have a 3000 series sleve IIRC. I'm going to try re-installing the software to see if that makes any difference - glad to know it 'should' work!

H
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The re=install hasn't worked Sad I forgot to say, the message I get is 'no valid gps signal' any ideas?

H
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No valid GPS Signal means that the sleeve can't see any satellites. Have you taken it outside for a good look at the sky? The Navman 3000 isn't as sensitive as the newer SE model.
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
No valid GPS Signal means that the sleeve can't see any satellites. Have you taken it outside for a good look at the sky? The Navman 3000 isn't as sensitive as the newer SE model.

...and don't I know it - I'm planning to upgrade to a SiRFstar III next month & new PDA (but not yet decided on which ones). I have had the reciever in the car on the way to and from work the last couple of days (about 30-40 min trip) and no luck. It does get a 3d fix using either the navman or tomtom gps info programs, that's why I think it may be a driver issue.

H
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I setup a friends Ipaq 3950 with the Navman Jacket last night, with TTN5. Works a treat.

The key things to do are:-

a) Make sure you install the Navman 3.1.6 drivers
b) Install TTN5
c) Select Other GPS device when selecting the GPS device within TTN5
d) Make sure the baud rate is 57600
e) Select Navman Driver as the port
f) Take the unit outside for a lock, we had to wait several minutes before the "No Valid GPS Signal" message was updated to show satellite information!!

I hope this helps?

cheers
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice, Gav. Put your iPAQ & sleeve outside and leave it on to get a fix. It can take forever if you are trying to get a fix whilst moving.
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Good advice, Gav. Put your iPAQ & sleeve outside and leave it on to get a fix. It can take forever if you are trying to get a fix whilst moving.

OK, it's sat halfway down the garden, plugged into the mains waiting for something to happen. It has got a fix using applications other than TTN5 when on the move, which makes me think that it may be a discrepacny with TTN5. TTN3 never saw satelites (i.e. the bars at the bottom never lit up) but could still get a 3d fix. The GPS info program can too. I have a feeling 'cos there are officially no satelites in view, TTN5 is ignoring the fix Sad

H
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have my setup working - thanks for all your help. Having left it in the garden to no avail, I went to visit a friend and left it in the car for an hour or so - to my suprise, there was a fix when I returned - not only that, but satellites were also showing in the bars at the bottom! lets hope it doesn't take that long to get it's next fix! Incidently I now have navman and ALK drivers showing in the gps info window- previously this just showed navman, I'm not sure if this is what has helped, does anyone know?

Cheers guys,

H
Hannibal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few days of trying to get another fix, I have failed Sad I 'saw' one sat yesterday, but that's been it. Unfortunately after my previous 'fix' I accidently did a reset without closing tomtom. again other applications get a fix within a minute or two just tomtom takes forever to not get one. Could someone else with this setup give me a guide as to how long it takes for them to get a fix please. Oh and I'd be interested to know their reciever SW version.

thanks

H
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hannibal,

My father-in-law has a similar setup:

-IPAQ 3970 with windows mobile 2003 Prod Rev Level 2.5 Rom version 4.00.08 ENG + Bluetooth driver patch
- NAVMAN sleeve Receiver SW Ver 2.1.1M01325 Navman Ipaq 2.1.2
- TT Navigator 5
In TomTom Navigator Settings - GPS Status select 'Other Cable NMEA GPS'
GPS baud rate = 57600
Navman GPS

It will show No valid GPS signal for a while but you should spy some figures appearing in the sat columns (will go red when fixed).

Do a soft-reset if not locking. Failing that you could try a hard reset and start from scratch (which is what we did).

Hope that helps Smile
Rutger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can heartily agree with all comments made by Hannibal. I have an iPaq 3870, Windows mobile 2003, Navman Jacket and TomTom Navigator 5.

I had no problems with TTN3, GPS fix and re-acquisition times were standard for the Navman Jacket. After upgrading to TTN5 (I actually removed TT3 and maps, reinstalled Navman serial driver 3.1.6 and installed TTN5) GPS fix times have been nothing short of a joke. Immediately after upgrading, I went outside and got a fix within 5 minutes. The day after it took a whole 15 minutes sitting in the car waiting for a fix, watching at least 6 or seven grey bars jumping around near maximum but nothing. I gave up eventually and drove 90 miles watching the GPS status window until it eventually got a fix.

When TTN5 is locked on it seems reasonably solid but after stopping at a service station today it lost the fix sat on the forecourt and took another 25 minutes and 30 miles to re-acquire. This is simply not good enough. I know there has been a major re-write of the GPS code but why does it take so long?

I can run the old TomTom GPS app. and it will get a fix in seconds, but not when TTN5 tries. I would have liked to try connecting directly to the COM port that the Navman Serial driver creates (COM 6 in my case) but it doesn't show COM 6 in the GPS config window just COM 3. I am forced to use the 'Navman Driver'.

Any suggestions?
naza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes heres a few:

Buy a new GPS!

I recommend the arkon powered GPS mount (CM805)

While your at it why dont you buy a hx4700 as well!

oh and dont forget to treat yourself to a raptor that you know you want whilst you have your credit card out!

;-)

Neil

System Config:
HP HX4700
WM2003
TTN 5 PDA and TT Mobile
Tomtom Wireless GPS
Sandisk 1.0GB SD
Nokia 6680 on vodafone
E1000 on "Three"
(Not a gadget freek honest ;-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: