Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I fear this thread has long since past providing any useful contributions to the debate on the issues with CoPilot.

I'm not a CoPilot user and so cannot make any useful contributions hence why I have refrained from participating but the personal attacks and slanging matches do nothing to further the debate and must stop.

Similarly re-hashing the same observations and complaints does not help, the review we produced was the personal opinion of the reviewer at that time and remains in its original form because of that. I do not doubt that there appear to very real concerns about the quality of the software in certain areas and threads that highlight these issues clearly and unequivocably are welcomed.

If you have an issue, explain it, if you have a solution or workaround then say so but lets please bring this back on track and end the personal assaults.

If we cannot act in an adult manner I'll lock the thread.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikpro wrote:
think that it was mentioned earlier that CoPilot is at the budget end of the GPS spectrum

This has been argued before. Even if something is cheap (which CoPilot is not), it must still be "fit for purpose" and "of merchantable quality". CoPilot is neither.

CoPilot for Smartphone (bundle with GPS for £229 plus £100 for the European maps) is £329 from Expansys.

Garmin Quest - £330
jdw7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikpro wrote:
YAWN,YAWN..................... if it's that bad use a bloody map!!...... then you won't miss a turn will you????

Microsft don't advertise that their product has bugs, may crash occasionally....will someone ban PONDEROUS the pr**k from the forum as he doesn't say anything usefull whatsoever and let him go to his little world of perfection where his products last a lifetime, take him to the most inaccesable places in the world by the most direct route (probably up his own a**se hole) and book tickets for planes for him.

Please don't reply you are borring the T*TTS of me!!

There's really no need to descend to this sort of childish abuse, if you don't like what he's got to say then just ignore his postings.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disappointed that Nickpro completely fails to see the main thrust of the arguement, and insists that we throw CP5 away and buy a map.

Yes, I'm disatisfied with CP5, but I've spent a lot of money (to me anyway) on it, and I want the product that CP5 claims to be. I don't think that is too much to ask for, is it ???

Am I wrong expecting it to do what it claims ??

Rather than insulting PONDEROUS (and probably me), can Nickpro or anyone else for that matter justify that it perfectly acceptable for CP5 to completely miss turn-announcements, as described in my last post (above).

Baz
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this thread began, Neil01 and Ako between them came up with the suggestion that there should be a thread that gives brief descriptions of problems followed by brief solutions. I said that there would need to be some means of dealing with inaccuracies, ambiguities, etc. Subject to that, surely Neil01 and Ako had a good idea.

Could I suggest that they start a new a new thread and see it through, once the ground rules can be established. I would like to suggest one rule; i.e. that contributors describe the scope and limitations of their solutions. This should minimise the need for intervention by others and keep things brief.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
brief descriptions of problems followed by brief solutions.

I said quite early on in this thread that I didn't think that there were any fixes/workarounds for most of CoPilot's problems.

The problems I have seen that were fixed by the latest CoPilot release are:

POIs disappear when you are moving
Smartphone Backlight stays on permanently
Problems bonding/rebonding with BT GPS devices

Problems that I don't know of any fix for are:

Sporadic lack of POI announcements
Sporadic lack of turn announcements
Hanging after recalculating routes several times
Unresponsive technical support
Traffic reporting functionality was promised 6 months ago but has never appeared
Track log doesn't always get saved
Serious routing problems when calculating the "Shortest" route (ignores minor roads in favour of major ones)
Serious routing problems calculating the "Quickest" route, ie:

London to Dublin (Routed hundreds of miles away via Scotland/Belfast when the quickest is via Holyhead)
Southampton to Hastings (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the south coast)
M40 Junction 9 to M3 Junction 9 (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the A34)

If anyone has a fix for the above problems then please post it here!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy reasserts that:

Quote:
I didn't think that there were any fixes/workarounds for most of CoPilot's problems.

I think we both know that, Skippy, but I thought the persons concerned might want to list those solutions that do exist.
Northernbloke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problems I have seen that were fixed by the latest CoPilot release are:

POIs disappear when you are moving
Smartphone Backlight stays on permanently
Problems bonding/rebonding with BT GPS devices

What version is that then? I'm using 5.0.1.48 and the POI's are not displayed unless i'm moving very slowly or stopped at a junction for example.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northernbloke is not the first to doubt that POIs have been fixed. This is one aspect of Copliot that I abandoned very early on and won't be spending time on until I see that others are satisfied.

However, could this be a difference between the pocket PC and smartphone versions?

I wondered the same about the failure of CP 5 to find addresses in its database (thread entitled Copilot 5 database deficiencies), which Skippy did not include in his latest list of unresolved issues.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northernbloke wrote:
What version is that then? I'm using 5.0.1.48 and the POI's are not displayed unless i'm moving very slowly or stopped at a junction for example.

In the latest version, there are options to change the behaviour of the POIs and backlight. The default for POIs is still to disappear when moving, but you can go into options and change it.

I have the Smartphone version .69 which has this option - I don't know what the latest PDA version is off hand or if it has the feature.

In all fairness to ALK, the POIs disappearing wasn't a bug but a "feature" (albeit one that people complained about!). Wink
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see from my lack of posts recently I have given up saying anything when Ponderous just twists what you say to meet his own ends. Please get it right. Neil01 suggested a thread for fixes and I just gave my interpretation of what I thought Neil01 meant. Neil01 then confirmed what I suggested. I also stated quite clearly that I was not meaning to crtiticise Ponderous but this was twisted by Ponderous to try to make me out to be a liar. The facts are that Copilot works well enough for some peoples needs and not well enough for others. If it is in breech of the sale of goods act then why haven't all these people who say it is, taken ALK to court? Put up or shut up. I suggest that Darren locks the thread as he said.

Dave
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako

I sincerely aplogise for any offence.

I really did believe that you and Neil01 had come up with a worthwhile suggestion. I could see practical difficulties, so I made suggestions to overcome them.

One suggestion I made was that a starter list of problems and solutions should be made. I thought that since this was your idea you would most likely want to kickstart it. That did not in any way diminish the reality of the problems that would remain when your list was finished -and neither need it have done so.

As it happens, I have now revised my view and consider that unless there are mandatory constraints, no thread is going to be kept exclusively technical. Similarly, I doubt that any structure that is devised is going to be maintained without editorial intervention. Whether there should be such constraints is, clearly, a matter of debate. My own view is that there need to be more tools available than the ability to lock threads.

It is true that I perceived that you thought that the rules applied to those having issues with CP 5, but not to those who do not. If that was not your positon, then I am sorry, but your final paragraph this time seems to reinforce it.

Regarding the right for you and others to believe that Copilot is adequate, I continue to agree completely. I equally maintain that it is contradictory to that principle to bang the table and assert that those who do have issues have to keep quiet, buy a map or go to court - which is not as straightforward as one might imagine, whatever the rights and wrongs.

I would say that while this thread started out with a call for for an area dedicated to technical solutions, ot has become a debate about, among other things, equal rights to be heard. Of course, Darren will close the thread off if he wishes, but I would ask him to recognse that this type of issue is as valid as anything technical. Perhaps a thread dedicated to such issues is needed?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
Neil01 suggested a thread for fixes and I just gave my interpretation of what I thought Neil01 meant. Neil01 then confirmed what I suggested.

That's a good start. Now, how about you list the problems you know of with CoPilot and tell us how you work around them. For reference, I posted a list of some of them in this thread on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:55 pm. Just saying "put up with it" isn't really helping us to find ways to get the best out of CoPilot.

I agree with Ako that we are divided into two camps here. There are those who think the deficiencies in the software are acceptable and those who don't.

I accept that people have differing OPINIONS of the severity of the problems but the FACT is that the problems exist and we need to find ways to either fix them or work around them. Futhermore, we need to pressure ALK to fix the problems with their software.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With many hundreds of posts each day it is an impossibilty to have editorial control over the content of each and every one nor is it something we would desire to do.

Moderators are appointed to step in where a thread steps over the line in respect of personal abuse, profanity or discussions of piracy etc but the very nature of the forums is to uphold free speech and as such we do not seek to vet the content of each and every post. In the vast majority of cases this works very well.

Again I will re-iterate that questioning the functionality or lack of within a product is well within the guidelines and purposes of these forums, questioning such opinions is also valid but can we leave aside our personal opinions of each other please.

Final word of caution.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

I trust that you appreciated that I was not suggesting that you should, or for that matter, should not, gatekeep every post. I was simply reflecting on the fact that with a more-or-less open forum, users are going to post what THEY want on the forum, and will not necessarily stick to any structure that I, or anyone else, might try to set.

I think we are agreed, therefore, that it is a case of sticking to reasonable interpersonal behaviour, and otherwise expressing or disagreeing with views on Copilot's adequacy or inadequacy without fear of personal attack.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: