Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG300 Maps question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG300 Maps question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke0380
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: TTG300 Maps question Reply with quote

One more question with the TTG300 , i have the latest update installed, but some roads which have been inplace nearly 1 - 2 years don't appear to be on the TT.

Do you know if there is to be an update soon , or if not how regular do the maps get updated?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the TTG300 you should have the latest maps. TomTom's pratice is to issue new maps yearly.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ClaretKid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the Bingley By Pass (opened December 2002 and winner of an award in 2004) is not included.

Sat Nav is of no use at all if its out of date. I can just about accept a one year delay but 32 months is a bit excessive.

Whenever I leave home I have to put up with the first 5 miles being cross country, and the unit frantically trying to make me go up embankments and down ravines to join the road system.
matt748
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClaretKid wrote:

Whenever I leave home I have to put up with the first 5 miles being cross country, and the unit frantically trying to make me go up embankments and down ravines to join the road system.

You do know that you don't have to go where TT tells you, especially if you know a better way Wink
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
With the TTG300 you should have the latest maps. TomTom's pratice is to issue new maps yearly.

Unfortunately, 'latest' and 'up-to-date' are not synonymous.

Even when new maps are issued they often fail to reflect physical changes made several years ago.

TomTom apparently gets its maps from Tele Atlas - and thus doesn't have absolute control over what they contain. Many people have expressed the view - perhaps with some justification - that TomTom fails to put sufficient pressure on its suppliers to ensure that the maps are up to date - and then says "Sorry Guv, it's not my fault - blame them!"

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Many people have expressed the view - perhaps with some justification - that TomTom fails to put sufficient pressure on its suppliers to ensure that the maps are up to date - and then says "Sorry Guv, it's not my fault - blame them!"

It also would help if you could get any information about what's been changed since the last update. Telling "99% coverage" is not enough.

An ideal solution would be to present the current map for query online - like Garmin does with their NavTeq maps. There you can zoom in on any problem zone you already know and you know in advance, whether this is fixed in the new map.

Another solution would be a color coded map showing how much was changed in which region - and I don't mean something like the red/pink/white country maps but something you would find for "net coverage" of your mobile-phone provider. Something like 1km per pixel or less. Even at 10km per pixel it would be a valuable information. You then could estimate whether the current building boom in a particular area is covered yet or whether some regions show only minor or no updates at all.

Even a list of xxxx new roads mapped in aaaa, yyyy errors corrected in bbbb, zzzz house numbers mapped in region cccc, ... would do.

I'm pretty confident that TeleAtlas could easily compile such a plot. Im pretty confident too, that they would sell a lot of maps less, if the users would see how much the new maps differ from the old ones in advance.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

That's why I used the word 'latest'.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

That's why I used the word 'latest'.

I realise that - but others might not - and might rashly assume that each new issue is bang up to the minute!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: