Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 5 and Axim X5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 5 and Axim X5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fergyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Navigator 5 and Axim X5 Reply with quote

Hi All,

Was hoping to upgrade my X5 and Nav 3 to Nav 5 in the next few weeks

But after looking through support on the TOMTOM site have found that they have made a statement that the Dell Axim X5 is not supported in Nav 5

Anybody out there with more info before I contact TOTOM

Thanks in advance

Fergy
:D

Question
Which PDAs will be compatible with TomTom Navigator 5?

Answer
TomTom Navigator 5 is compatible with the following models:

Compaq
iPAQ 3870, iPAQ 3970

HP iPAQ
hx2110, hx2410, hx2750, hx4700, rz1710, rz3715, h1940, h1945, h2210, h2215, h4150, h4350, h5450, h5455, h5550, h5555, h6340

Toshiba
E400, E800 BT, E800 WiFi

palmOne
Tungsten T3, Tungsten T5, Tungsten E2, Zire 72, Treo 650

Sony Clie
TJ 35, TH 55

Acer
N30, N35

Qtek
1010, 2020, 9090, S100

Orange
SPV M500, SPV M1000, SPV M2000

T-Mobile
MDA, MDA II, MDA III, MDA Compact

Mitac
Mio 168

Asus
Mypal A620

DELL Axim
X3, X3i, X30, X50, X50I, X50V

Fujitsu Siemens
Pocket LOOX 410, 600, 610

O2
XDA, XDA II, XDA II S

i-mate
PDA2K

Vodafone
VPA III, VPA compact
seanruk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fergyuk

I also have an X5 and have viewed tomtom supported PDA list which has now raised the same concerns for me.

Is there anyone out here that may be able to shed some light on this please.

Many Thanks

seanruk
Confused
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll have any problems - if it runs on a 3870 ipaq (a model now 4 years old and on the original arm 200mhz cpu) I would guess it would run on an x5.

There's nothing special about the spec on an x5 is there?

As tomtom don't list the ipaq 3850 or 3950 which are the same as the '70 models - just no BT - This won't be an exhaustive list.

Ian
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know where the problem is. The X5 seems to be unable to read SD cards greater than 1 GB. Obviously TTN5 has more map data than that, and some people will be using 2GB cards etc. That will be the reason it's not on the compatibility list. (1GB cards and smaller seem to work fine)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Galman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned by me on another post, there does seem to be people running 2 gb cards on their Axim X5's so lets hope it will work.
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what TomTom just told me:

"Thank you for contacting customer support. We always strive to satisfy ALL of our Navigator customers. Unfortunately your device has not yet tested compatible with the new software. It may in fact work fine, but we cannot GUARANTEE or SUPPORT the new software until your PDA model appears on the "compatible list.""

In fact, I'm seriously thinking of switching to CoPilot. TTN 3.03 has just frozen on me again - had to do a soft reset. Nothing else running. 128 Mb CF card & wired sytem - TT car kit.
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Navigator5 works on dell Axim5 Reply with quote

I have installed Navigator5 upgrade on my Dell Axim5 . Both the program and the GB map are on my Flashcard. Installation was straightforward the GPS signal was found straight away, THe safety camera database & voice work fine as does the postcodes. I have not installed any maps except GB but there is room on the card if I ever feel the need.
I am relieved that I don't have to replace my PDA
mbenz1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much space on the memory card does the nav 5 and the gb map take up?
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 111mb
mbenz1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot much appreciated
nearlylost
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile I have now tested nav5 in axim5 1gb SD card. Works fine no problems Wink
mbenz1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i needed to hear
wunderbythunder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: tomtom 5 and dell axim X5 CF caed Bluetooth with Holux GPsl2 Reply with quote

Hiya
I have Dell axim X5 with Dell CF bluetooth card. I bought Holux GPslim 236 (SiRF!!!). Here is my storey:
GPSlim 236: A very good receiver. Very quick in locating signal. Good sensitivity. Most important continuous battery life nearly 10 hrs!!! Stable connection. Hard ware is ahead of any software as always.
TomTom5: Yes there is improvement. But with 200 MB maps it takes ages for longer routes planned with Dell 400 MHZ. Lots of bugs. Freezes a lot. Still not accurate for walking. Still can not direct precisely when faced with too many roads. Alternate route is not easy to use. It appears there is a move to force customers to buy tomtom services. They said yes that it will not work with dell axim X5. Later said it works ok with Cabled tomtom receiver, but we will not supply kits. Will not support.
Then I spoke to Holux UK could not figure out how CF bluetooth card works with 236 gpslim. Tried Dell support were not helpful.
Where there is a will there is a way:
I downloaded 4 updates for dell axim X5

1.http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=4351&devlib=20&fileid=R6994

2.http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?si
id=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=4351&devlib=5&fileid=R65693

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=4351&devlib=8

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=8304&devlib=7&fileid=R83764

dell sote:http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA

Once dowloaded and installed u will see VCOM manager.
After installing Tomtom5 go to change preferences page then goto 4 page gps status select configure then "other NEMA cabled" (yes cabled please). thenstart then settings then connections then bluetooth then u see magical button "comport". To create a new port select new virtual comport follow the instruction. Once all done it works.
I used it for 700 mile journey and works very fine thus saving money on new PDA. I am not sure why tomtom reluctant to say that it works as fine. I hope u find it helpful. Comments suggestion welcome along with feedback
Lakshmi Prasad lp1960@lprasad.fsnet.co.uk
TomTom-Paul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN5 works on my Axim X5, with tomtom's cable gps. The only thing I have done after reading info in this forum is turn off the "link volume to car speed" which is found in the volume preferences screen.

I am a bit alarmed, that tomtom, were happy to tell me that I could buy an upgrade, but not that they did not support it on the device that they had previously sold me

:o

Cheers
Paul
wunderbythunder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom 5 and dell axim X5 CF caed Bluetooth with Holux G Reply with quote

wunderbythunder wrote:
Hiya
I have Dell axim X5 with Dell CF bluetooth card. I bought Holux GPslim 236 (SiRF!!!). Here is my storey:
GPSlim 236: A very good receiver. Very quick in locating signal. Good sensitivity. Most important continuous battery life nearly 10 hrs!!! Stable connection. Hard ware is ahead of any software as always.
TomTom5: Yes there is improvement. But with 200 MB maps it takes ages for longer routes planned with Dell 400 MHZ. Lots of bugs. Freezes a lot. Still not accurate for walking. Still can not direct precisely when faced with too many roads. Alternate route is not easy to use. It appears there is a move to force customers to buy tomtom services. They said yes that it will not work with dell axim X5. Later said it works ok with Cabled tomtom receiver, but we will not supply kits. Will not support.
Then I spoke to Holux UK could not figure out how CF bluetooth card works with 236 gpslim. Tried Dell support were not helpful.
Where there is a will there is a way:
I downloaded 4 updates for dell axim X5

1.http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=4351&devlib=20&fileid=R6994

2.http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?si
id=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=4351&devlib=5&fileid=R65693

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=4351&devlib=8

http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA&dev=8304&devlib=7&fileid=R83764

dell sote:http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/index.aspx?sid=PDA_AXIM_X5&cat=0&os=PPCA

Once dowloaded and installed u will see VCOM manager.

After installing Tomtom5 go to change preferences page then goto 4th page gps status select configure then "other NEMA cabled" (yes cabled please) see ma out of 4 ports select serialcomport 7.

then start then settings then connections then bluetooth then u
see magical button "comport". To create a new port select new virtual comport follow the instruction. for dell axim x5 bluetooth CF card select comport 7 Once all done it works.
I used it for 700 mile journey and works very fine thus saving money on new PDA. I am not sure why tomtom reluctant to say that it works as fine. I hope u find it helpful. Comments suggestion welcome along with feedback
Lakshmi Prasad lp1960@lprasad.fsnet.co.uk

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: