Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Ique
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Ique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerryss
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Garmin Ique Reply with quote

Has anyone see/tested the new Garmin IQUe?

I currently have a Clie T615, and am thinking of upgrading.

thanks

Jerry
davidahn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Garmin Ique Reply with quote

I'm also very tempted. I have a Toshiba e310 (PocketPC), but am tempted to turn coats; the iQue's specs are pretty enticing. Although ideally I'd like a device that will also do cell phone duties, if I had to have two devices, I'd rather have a GPS/PDA and a cell phone than a cell phone/PDA and a GPS unit.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It's good to see a slimline integrated GPS device, my main concern is that it's Garmin. Don't get me wrong, Garmin's good, but I like the option of using different GPS applications for different types of work, and I think you will probably be limited to the Garmin MapSource CD's.

I think the main problem is going to be limitations with the iQue. If you're only looking for a single solution and don't mind being tied to the device and not be able to run the latest software the the iQue might be a good bet.

Although it might be a bit larger/thicker I like the iPAQ 3870/3970/5450 and an Emtac sleeve, this provides a compact integrated solution and Bluetooth connectivity to a mobile phone.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been following the Garmin Forum for the iQue 3600?
JackT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iQue will not necessarly be limited to the Garmin maps/software. A SDK is already available at Garmin site which allows to have access to the gps harware.
There is already some other programs that can be used with the IQUE and its internal GPS : pathaway (www.pathaway.com) and fugawi...

JT
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 4 weeks that the iQue has been available, I have used Unit 1 for two weeks and then returned it to Garmin, and I have used Unit 2 for 1 week!
There are two main problems evident in both Units:-
1-The elevation reading on both indicated 173 feet at sea-level, and cannot be reset even with Gamin’s help!
2-The unit cannot operate for longer than 3 minutes [on the cradle or on 12volt power] if you activate the security password! Your choice is then to have an ‘open unit’ without security, or press a button every 3 minutes while it is on the cradle or during navigation in the car!!! This is a known problem with the iQue.

On unpacking the iQue the following points should be noted:-
3-A SD card [not included] is essential. My 128mb only allowed me to load England and Wales [South of Liverpool + the Calais area] together with the larger basemap [13MB]. So ideally the 256MB card should be bought!
4-You cannot travel/navigate for more than 60 minutes without buying a 12volt charger!
5-Some of the software within the installation CD is only in ‘Trial’ form. This necessitates activating DataViz and ‘Splash’ programs at extra cost.
6-This means that you need to spend a further £150 plus to use the unit successfully.

On using the iQue the following points should be noted:-
7-Having used an eMap over the last 3 years during extensive towing in Europe; I expected to transfer Routes & Waypoints to the iQue. To date I have failed.
8-The unit is difficult to view in sunlight, this necessitates the fixing of the unit lower in the car, but with the antenna above fascia level.

To combine the facilities of the Palm and Garmin in the iQue is a brilliant concept, and I’m hooked on it!
a-The colour mapping and ‘turn by turn’ routing is so advanced compared with the eMap.
b-The unit actually shows the required exit from the roundabouts in colour and in fine detail [less stress while towing a caravan in Europe].
c-The night screen is really useful.
d-The ability to store a ‘location’ with each entry in the address book with immediate routing to them is a bonus.
e-The iQue is a convenient size and weight and can be carried easily.

If only Garmin and Palm could sort out points 1 + 2 ……………….
If only Garmin could include the hidden extras 3 + 4 + 5 in the package…………….

Are there any iQue owners with problems/comments?
xjt00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: iQue Report Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to see a full report on iQue. From what I've read, it could set a new benchmark for other Pocket PC navigation systems. iQue can store routs. You can plan your route on a PC and transfer it to the SD card. When you plan your route, you ca set several waypoints. This would be particularly convenient, if you are planning a journey abroad or a tour, say to Lake District. Another interesting thing to see would be the quality of the map compared with those used in TomTom or TravRoute. iQue is a new system, I also expect a lot of teething troubles from it.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In point 7 of my previous post I reported:-

'...I expected to transfer Routes & Waypoints to the iQue. To date I have failed.'

My experience is now backed up by the The Mapsource Help File which says:-

'Only maps may be transferred from MapSource to the iQue. Maps are saved and transferred to the iQue during the next HotSync operation. iQue users may also transfer tracks from the iQue to MapSource via a HotSync operation.'
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the launch of the iQue, there have been updates on the Garmin website for ‘MapSource’, ‘MapInstall’, ‘Track Conduit’ and an iQue Patch 1 + iQue Patch 2.

Many of the initial problems have been eliminated WITHIN PATCH 2 [24/10/03]
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Update CD-City Select Europe v6 is now available for iQue owners -Free
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Update CD-City Select Europe v6 is now available for iQue owners -Free

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: