Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSAssist on Windows Mobile 2003SE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSAssist on Windows Mobile 2003SE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: GPSAssist on Windows Mobile 2003SE Reply with quote

I may not be the only one to find that GPSAssist.NET crashes on start up on an iPAQ hx4700. The problem has been found and characterised in the Brighthand forums - it's a bug in the ATI graphics driver DLL that affects much if not all .NET software.

I've put full details in the GPSAssist forums here and people may like to follow that thread for any discussion. However, the key information is:
Quote:
The solution is to flip a registry value and soft reset - there's a description of what needs to be done at this thread at brighthand.com and a tool that does it for you on the next page to that I've linked. I skipped the tool and used a registry editor.

Until my new Brodit mount arrives from Handnav (it's shipped - though whether it will get here before I have to go to London early tomorrow remains to be seen), I can't test things fully as I have no way of mounting the hx4700 in my car. However, GPSAssist doesn't crash at startup now.

I haven't yet heard anything from Jo officially about this - I only discovered the work round sorted out GPSAssist earlier this morning. I'm also waiting on Jo for a new unlock code.

I'll make this thread "sticky" for now in the hope that it helps people.

David

Last edited by DavidW on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally had just one chance to try GPSAssist in car - and the results were not good. With all the options on, as I had been used to with my iPAQ h3970, Navigator was utterly confused as to where I was. The problems went away when I started Navigator without GPSAssist.

I haven't yet had chance to test things more carefully; I will get a chance to do so later this week and will attempt then to find what the problem is. I have since found and solved a problem with my TomTom Traffic / GPRS setup, so that's one problem I did have that's sorted out. I haven't had a chance to test GPSAssist again since I sorted this problem.

There's various possibilities for the cause of the problem, including the 1GB SD card I'm testing.

It is of note that the registry change mentioned in my first post fixes performance issues with Microsoft Reader. With the related feature in the graphics driver known to be buggy, I'd recommend this change to any iPAQ hx4700 owner until HP release a fixed graphics driver.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited the thread title as I wonder now whether there's a more general WM2003SE issue with GPSAssist.

The instability in my system has now been found and sorted; the 1GB SD card I was testing was to blame. Substituting my 512MB Panasonic (Integral brand) SD card which contains the same map and POI files meant things were much more stable.

However, my hardware buttons don't work in GPSAssist 2.1.1.14. CheckPOInt 2.0.2 can still record POIs, so it's possible to get hardware button presses to pass through to add-on applications. I find that my buttons (even button 5, the record button) simply carry out their default functions - such as, on my machine, opening Pocket Informant in the Calendar view if I press button 1.

It's possible that this is the result of a change in Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition (or to the version of the .NET Compact Framework shipped with it). This is why I've changed the title of the thread. Alternatively, it could be an hx4700 specific issue.

Clearly the handling of hardware buttons is different on the hx4700 to other Pocket PCs I've used - the Operating System has built in support for long presses on buttons 1 to 4 - which can be configured as buttons 5 (long push on button 1) to 9 (long push on button 4).

Does anyone else have positive or negative experiences with GPSAssist on WM2003SE Pocket PCs? If so, please post them below. Meanwhile, I will report my findings to the developer of GPSAssist.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally found the problem with hardware buttons in GPSAssist 2.1.1.14 and my iPAQ hx4700.

Something had created a lot of seemingly redundant entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Keys - after a hard reset, there were just keys 40C1 to 40C9 in this key. Once I deleted all the other entries with a registry editor, my hardware buttons in GPSAssist worked.

I have kept a copy of what was in that registry key, just in case. I haven't got hardware button support working in SOTI Pocket Controller Professional 4.12 after deleting the other keys, but I'm not sure that worked before my registry edits. I have reinstalled the 'device' end of the software with no effect.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unstickied - with the launch of Navigator 5, I think everyone for whom this is of use will have found out about it by now. The new 1.10 ROM for the hx4700 should sort out the graphics driver problem without needing a registry edit.

David
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I have finally found the problem with hardware buttons in GPSAssist 2.1.1.14 and my iPAQ hx4700.

Something had created a lot of seemingly redundant entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Keys - after a hard reset, there were just keys 40C1 to 40C9 in this key. Once I restored my backup and deleted all the spurious entries with a registry editor, leaving just 40C1 to 40C9, my hardware buttons worked in GPSAssist.

I have kept a copy of what else was in that registry key, just in case. I haven't got hardware button support working in SOTI Pocket Controller Professional 4.12 after deleting the other keys, but I'm not sure that worked before my registry edits. I have reinstalled the 'device' end of the software with no effect.

David

Hello David et all,

I've copied and pasted this from your thread on the GPSAssit forum.

I'm new to the forum and found your advice very helpful. I also have an iPAQ hx 4700 and therefore the same error message when initially trying to run GPSAssist.

The small file in 'Tools' failed to work so I hacked the key with a reg editor. Reset and managed to get in OK.

My problem is that, like others, not being able to configure the keys although 'key 1' produces the 'main menu'.

However, when I press 'Navigator' it just 'beeps' instead of returning me to TTN.

I'm using Tom Tom Navigator 5 - is this the problem? Am I to await a patch/next release ? Have I bought GPSAssist too soon?

David, I looked for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Keys section in my registry but cannot find it. Mine goes 'Internet Explorer' then MassengerService' . . . no 'J's or 'K's.

GPSAssist looks really good and I'm sure once it's fully compatible, will be a great benefit.

kind regards

Barry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: