Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Retail TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Retail TT5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmcowan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Retail TT5 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I recieved my copy of TT5 bluetooth retail yesterday. Looking round the forums there are a few questions that I can now answer.

The map supplied is Great Britain only - no major maps of Europe. The map itself is not particularly up to date. My farther has had a Tomtom GO since they came out and has notified them of may map errors which have not been fixed in my version.

You can select an audio warning for POIs. This is played at a configurable distance before the POI. There is an option to play the sound even if it is not on a set route.

Full postcode data is included.

I had difficulty installing it. On insertion of the card, the setup started, kept hanging. Even when allowed to run for an hour it made no progress. I eventually ran the 4 install programmes in the 2577 directory individually and it works on my ipaq rx 3715.

I bought the tom tom car kit which has the lead to power the pda from the cigarette lighter socket. halfway along this lead is another socket which could power the gps. Unfortunatly the lead is extra, so when you buy it as recommeded you would need 2 cigarette sockets - i've been ok on battery so far.

What I could do with is a visual countdown to POIs - please let me know if you know a way to do this.

Gordon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you activate warn whe n near poi the youll get a the camera flashing in the top left hand corner and youll get a count down it the same as on the go

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gmcowan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have been clearer.

I know it does as you describe above, which is perfect for cameras.

I would like to be able to see when the next POI is, even if it if 5 miles away, and then get an audible warning just before it. I am trying to improve the efficiency of course cars on a car rally. We have limited time to check all gates and junctions in a stage. There are hundreds of them, but not evenly split. Some miles apart, some feet apart. I was going to recce it and POI them all. then when driving through the stage i will be warned for each one. This will work if i treat them like speed cameras, but it would be even more helpful if I knew exactly how far the next one is as if we know it is 2 miles away we can press on a bit.

I suspect I will need to wait for 3rd party software if the SDK comes out.

Gordon
stevei
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Gordon

I am still waiting for my copy. I have asked this question a few times and not had answered fully.

If the install is on SD card

1) Can I install the PROGRAM to my 1gig SD card....and how?

2) How can I install the maps onto my card?
gmcowan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevei,

I have not tried this yet but will soon try to put it all on my 512MB card. I'll let you know the results.

Gordon
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would just install the card as with tt3 personally id use a card reader to do this

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
stevei
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Install on SD card? Reply with quote

I have been told that TTN3 will not run if installed on the SD card, will TTN5 run if installed on the SD card?
mbenz1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed my ttn3 on my cf card, just choose it at installation time
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the map is GB only - the map info o nthe TT site says the maps all include MRE - Yo udon;t get a seperate MRE map, the roads are meant to be included in the GB map you have. Is this not the case?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that there are two options. GB maps are exactly that, while GB PLUS maps include the MRE without hving to switch maps.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to GlobalPositioningSystems and TotalPDA and both confirmed that their retail versions of Navigator 5 DO NOT contain Major Roads of Europe (despite what it says on TotalPDA's website Rolling Eyes )

The girl at TotalPDA said you have to subscribe to TomTom Plus to the MREs.

So Navigator5 costs about 50 quid more than TT3 and you get less maps! Hmm......
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT5 Retail info on the TT site says only "Memory Card comes complete with street-by-street navigation information on your region/country." when refering to the maps. I presume "region" means something different to what it means in the update where it appears to mean Europe is a "region" whilst North America is another "region".
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct from the email I have just recieved.

Dear TomTom NAVIGATOR user,

With the recent launch of TomTom Navigator 5 we are now also offering current TomTom NAVIGATOR users the opportunity to benefit from TomTom NAVIGATOR 5's new and improved software and the most up-to date street level map data which includes maps of the whole of Western Europe.

A very special offer:

Next to the NAVIGATOR 5 software, you will receive updated maps of the region(s) you already own. On top of that you will receive all other available maps of Western Europe including previously unavailable maps of Poland and the Czech Republic. Included are a set of maps which connect each region map with the major roads of Europe, combined in one single map. This will allow you to navigate cross-border to all major towns of Europe. For example you will be able to navigate from your home address to any town in Europe using one single map. The updated maps, enhanced features, in addition to TomTom's legendary ease of use make this one of the best upgrades ever.

The upgrade will include:

Latest maps
The latest detailed maps of Europe on a CD set, with the following maps:
Great Britain
Germany, Poland** and the Czech Republic**
Austria and Switzerland
Italy
Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland
Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg
France
Spain, Portugal and Andorra
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a bit of confusion.

Navigator 5 upgrades for existing users in Europe include detailed maps of Western Europe unless I've completely misread TomTom's web site. It seems explicit enough over this point.

Navigator 5 Retail is a bit different, not least as TomTom have switched to supplying the product on SD card.

I don't believe Navigator 5 has a separate Major Roads of Europe map. I think the only Major Roads products are the Plus maps which are a region in full detail and the Major Roads of Europe rolled together.

I don't know which map is on the SD card in a retail pack - if this thread is right, it's a non Plus map. You can check which map is installed fairly easily - though there's a quicker way than this, the easiest way to describe is to go to Change Preferences, then Show Version. If the map name mentions Plus, then Major Roads of Europe is included. The extra cost for Navigator 5 is presumably because a memory card is supplied.

The even easier way to check whether a map is Plus or not is to go into Browse Map and zoom right out - if you see other than the UK, you have a "Plus" map with Major Roads of Europe incorporated.

I can't see Major Roads of Europe being available via TomTom Plus - my impression of the maps available via Plus is that they're all small maps easily capable of being downloaded. I suspect confusion on the part of TotalPDA between TomTom Plus and the Plus maps.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: