Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1? Reply with quote

Hi All

Well clearly Navman have not addressed the bugs in this update. All the ones I encountered in the original software are still there. I think it is highly significant that there is no mention of any bug fixes in the instructions that come with the update CD, nor on the Navman website.

So one has to accept that this software is not reliable and could not be used without some form of alternative (paper maps) backup to check a route. That makes it absolutely 'unfit for its purpose' in the strictest terms, and I am sure it could be returned for a refund on that basis. However, one has to decide whether it is still a useful gadget to own. I personally think it is.

I would feel a lot better if Navman were more communicative and offered hope that they will indeed address the glitches. Instead they maintain a cynical silence on the subject which I have no doubt is so they can continue to deceive would be purchasers by means of their woefully (and now obviously deliberately) misleading advertising material.In my opinion this tactic will in time have a very adverse effect on their name, and I will be very surprised to see them in the market in say 12 months from now.

I hope I am wrong and that they will get it together and make a serious effort to fix the faults, but I am not holding my breath!
BarnOwl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Have Navman fixed the Routing Issues-SP1? Reply with quote

I don't know if these "re-routings" are incidents on NavMan 3400, but I also experience these strange detours on my TomTom Navigator setup.

I had the idea that this might be connected to the maps, but as NavMan is using NavTech and TomTom is using Teleatlas, this is not evident.

As far as the "Bleu Bug" is concerned: it is still happening here in Holland. We had a few reports of it on our forum. (www.pocketpcclub.nl)
neilb
Occasional Visitor

email sent today
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Tim, you can email Navman NZ but I've never tried this before, so don't know how quick they are to respond, or whether they just forward your email to the local subsidiary.

Head Office details are as follows:-

Navman NZ Limited

13 - 17 Kawana Street,

Northcote, Auckland

New Zealand

T: +64 9 481 0500

F: +64 9 480 3176

Sales - sales@navman.com

Support - support@navman.com

Personal GPS - gps.sales@navman.com
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Quote: Certainly lobbying the UK office and NZ can't do any harm. If enough people complain, things may get prioritised differently.

Dave, have you ever tried to leave feedback on Navman's NZ website? They only appear to offer UK/Europe or USA addresses. The UK/Eur one redirects you to the navman-mobile site. 8-(

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Graham, yes we have. In most cases you will find that companies will not be quick to publicise (even ahead of time) bug fixes as it shows there are problems with their current software which may have escaped a lot of peoples vision. It's always a fight with most companies. Sometimes we get advance notifications, sometimes we don't get anything. Navman are not alone here, if you've been following some of the TomTom threads.

Certainly lobbying the UK office and NZ can't do any harm. If enough people complain, things may get prioritised differently.

One of the fixes was to be an updated algorithm to help alleviate the routing problem, which was due to come out after the European update was due end of October, beginning of November, but because the deadline slipped with this, the patch was to be produced in accordance with the European maps and included as part of the program, hence why you need to reinstall SmartST Pro and not just install new/additional maps.
gracar
Regular Visitor

Dave - have you, or any of the other members of the Pocket GPS team, had any formal contact with Navman? I am surprised that there appears to be no information on the upgrade from 1.90 to 1.91. Perhaps we should start to flood New Zealand with e-mails and let them know that users expect to understand the reason for s/w changes and to be made aware of anticipated releases to cover obvious bugs. If there is no such communication it would seem reasonable to assume that such plans do not exist and then we users have to determine whether the units we purchased are fit for purpose and if they are not we can take appropriate action through the retailers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: