Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Jornada and gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Jornada and gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamtime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Jornada and gps Reply with quote

I have a Jornada 568 that I can currently use with a Garmin GPS V. I have just ordered Tom Tom Nav2.

Now, I would like to get a compactflash gps unit so i can use the Jornada independantly as a handheld GPS unit.

But, I cant get my head round how it will work.

Jornada has 64 mb memory. With the gps unit attached to the compactflash slot, I cannot use my CF memory card too. So, how do I use the Tom Tom software with its maps of up to 95mb. Where do I store it?

I am sure there is a simple answer, perhaps someone could enlighten me please?

allan
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Jornada and gps Reply with quote

In short, it won't. Unless you can find a CF GPS which also has a memory expansion in it (which I haven't heard of) you will have to use an external GPS connected on the serial sync connector.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

What is wrong with your GPS V?

Since you are already using it so you have the right cables.

You can still use it for Tom Tom and have the CF slot free for maps.
dreamtime
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info. The GPS V works fine in the car, and is brilliant to use when walking, but I wanted to know if there was anyway to use the Jornada independantly. Seems not, so, I also have an Ipaq 3630. To use that as a self contained GPS unit, I assume I would have to either buy the GPS jacket ( expensive ) or buy a GPS mouse, but the latter would be no good when I`m a pedestrian.

Cheaper to stick to the GPS V when on foot, methinks    

Thanks again

allan
Dave
Frequent Visitor

With the 3630 you could overcome it by having a slightly bulkier system of a dual PC-Card or CF card sleeve, which would also give you extra battery power combined with a CF GPS Card.
nicknick
Regular Visitor

Do not despair there are two answers to this.

I did have a 568 - well I currently still have (until I got a new Dell - which is actually answer 3)

1) just install a 32M chunk (or 16M if you want), this will cover 1/3 of the UK at a time anyway, and will fit on the Jornada and work OK.

2) you can buy an 'extended' battery for the Jornada (£80) which has an MMC card slot in the back - this will take a 128M MMC card (max available I'm afraid) - or 'allegedly' an SD card (not 'supported' though)

I have to say that I had problems with this - every now and again TT would hang and a reset was required, but here is a possible solution to this

Nick

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: