Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna GPSmart
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna GPSmart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna GPSmart Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the excellent review.

If one used rechargeable batteries, am I right in assuming that they would not be able to recharge in the unit, but would need their own special device for recharging?

All the same, using rechargeable batteries would seem to be the answer to your concerns about using batteries with abandon. One could run it off the mains in the car, but keep the rechargeable batteries in it for short powerless excursions. Then carry Lithium batteries for longer hikes. Do you think that would be preferable to trying to hook an Emtac up with a battery extender?

Thanks
Kimis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Fortuna GPSmart Reply with quote

I had same problems to connect GPSmartBT to PC with USB cable. Problem is that mini-USB connector in real is not an USB port. It is serial port. Thats why you nead specail cable from Fortuna. I think this is worst idea I have seen. It will misguide a lot of people.
Rover400Di
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the review. I have just bought a GPSmart but I am unable to connect via BT using my Clie T625 & BT Memorystick. The T625 picks up the GPSmart and adds it to the 'Trusted Devices' but it will not recognise it when trying to create a new connection preference as it only offers 'PC', 'Modem' & 'Local Network'. Any kind person got any advice please ? I've tried the clie-link.com website to no avail. Many thanks.
toad
Occasional Visitor

I picked up the Fortuna from www.peripheralcorner.co.uk - at the time, all-in with VAT & delivery it was a shade over £150 - they have adjusted prices now - it is up to £165 plus VAT and delivery.

What did absolutely delight me was that the thing even works from the boot of my car (powered by the power socket there), safe and hidden from view, but still good enought to get a signal....(probably says something about the quality of the 'metal' in my car )
ruest
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Dave - no problem on the wait. Actually I have a question or two for you on the Magellan GPS's so I'll head over to those forums and post them there.

Thanks Again

David Ruest
Dave
Frequent Visitor

David, just so you don't expect an immediate reply, Mike's currently off sunning in Spain. He should be back within the week.
ruest
Occasional Visitor

Hello Mike, enjoye the review - 1 followup question - Have you had a chance to followup and test the Fortuna GPSSmart with dense foliage yet? That will be a major factor in my buying decision as I could use a receiver with better reception under cover and in areas with many hills and valleys.

Thanks

David Ruest
Trix
Occasional Visitor

Had problems getting Windows XP to find the driver.

Mao software (Navigator GB) had it on the disk. USB-Serial link.

Now works OK.
-UHF-
Occasional Visitor

Apparently when plugged in, the pc should 'see' the cable without the unit actually being attached, on another forum some people reckon it's a USB to serial level converter. I'm assuming this is why you can't connect it, there could be other reasons of course.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

UHF

The cable that I used came with the review unit so I assume that it was the proper cable. Strange that a company would break an established standard.
-UHF-
Occasional Visitor

An interesting review, I was in two minds between getting a Fortuna or an Emtac - I decided on an Emtac.

You mentioned that you couldn't connect using a USB cable, the reason is that it requires a custom USB cable available from Fortuna (I think it has an IC in it). It's not currently possible to alter the unit's settings via Bluetooth, so the cable is essential if you want to start playing with it. This is one of the reasons I choose an Emtac.
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

So, which is the right battery extender for the Emtac from PC Mobile? They list several, but not one specifically for the Emtac.

Thanks again
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

Yes, I have the same problem with my digital camera. In fact, I've given up using the rechargeable batteries altogether.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Peter,

Not that I tried it but I assume that as the design of the power source is for alkaline batteries then there would not be a rechagring circuit. Indeed powering the unit from the USB connector cuts out the batteries.

My concern with the rechargables is twofold. One: I use AA rechargeables in my Digital Camera, and always carry at least 2 sets of charged batteries, on occasions I still find I deplete them quickly for some reason. Secondly the AAA batteries do not have that much power, so I would expect the usage time to be shorter.

My prefered set up is still the Emtac with battery extender for longer trips. The battery extender can recharge whilst stopping for a break.

The big advantage of the Fortuna is the screen, but I think it still needs more development to become the killer hardware.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Mike has just completed his extensive review of the Fortuna GPSmart Bluetooth Handheld Receiver.

This new receiver has a split personality. It looks like a handheld GPS Receiver and it is, but it also has Bluetooth connectivity to connect it to a PC or PDA allowing you to have a wireless GPS connection in-car or when hiking.

The full review can be read here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: