Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NAVCITY.CO.UK - Would never use again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NAVCITY.CO.UK - Would never use again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: NAVCITY.CO.UK - Would never use again Reply with quote

Anyone else used www.navcity.co.uk before?

I ordered a ProClip from these people and am yet to receive either the goods or any type of response from them regarding the order. The money was taken from my account immediatly, yet despite 3 emails over a period of several weeks, 1 fax, and numerous atempts to ring them (either engaged or never answered) I can not get any type of response what so ever. In desperation I have now written advising that I will take steps to recover the money that appears to have been taken under false pretences.

I would urge anyone to be very careful before they hand over any money to these people. Fortunatly I am only £20 down, it could have been far worse.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: NAVCITY.CO.UK - Would never use again Reply with quote

Yes but not under the NavCity name, but RIA Communications or Technology who I think they're known as. Like many retailers they can show products being in stock when they're not. I think it's down to the companies just being too lazy to trawl through and update their web pages, so sometimes you can receive delays when you think there shouldn't be.
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

Being out of stock is one thing, but taking someones money and being totally incommunicado is something that is not acceptable.

If there are stock probelms, and you are advised of this, then you can make informed decisions. For all I know this company may have ceased trading. Short of travelling across London to their Tottenham Court Road shop, I have no way of knowing what has happened to my order or money.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

I agree. What happened when I used RIA was that 3 different items were ordered, 2 in stock and 1 out of stock. They sent the 2 in stock items, debited the card for the full amount and 5 weeks later after much pestering they had finally managed to order the item in and then sent it to me, but it never arrived, so they then sent me another item and it eventually was received.

From what I recall and this is something I had a go to them at the time is that they are not aloud under consumer law to take payment for something they cannot despatch. I think most companies don't intentionally do this, it's mainly down to bad management and stock control systems and staff not bothering to check if an item is in stock before taking payment. What they should have done is refunded you the money if they haven't sent it, but this incurs a chargeback fee from the credit card company, so most resellers shy away from doing this.

Either way they're in the wrong. I know I did have difficulty getting through to them but had to keep phoning and eventually made it through. Avoid calling lunchtimes as that's when people walk into the shop. Try around 9:30 in the morning, ot around 4:30.

Drop me an email as I think I have an email address you could use.
mjbeale
Occasional Visitor

I used Navcity before reading this article. I purchased TomTom Nav 2 Software - wouldn't use them again

Ordered the software online, and looked good so far. Until i knew they took the money, but after then, that was it. No sign of postage, or any actions.

Tried to call and basically permanently engaged. When i did get through (hate to say this), but the people who answered were very hard to understand with the English language, and at times, did not understand me, even when i tried to 'spell' my postcode.

Phoning all day eventually got my order posted, and it did arrive the day after they said it would.

Order to delivery took 6 days.

Emails never responded to either...

shame as its a nice web site

Darren
Frequent Visitor

And it goes without saying that if you paid by Credit or Debit Card then take it up with the Card Providers.
jsheathcote
Occasional Visitor

I tried NavCity in my search for a GPS solution for my Clie. It is a wonder they stay in business. Unhelpful, no real knowledge of the subject. Basically told me that there was nothing for the Sony Clie / Palm 4.1.

I won't buy anything from these guys.

All this was quickly put right by Angus at Routeplanners. I have now ordered Mapopolis and will definately look to Routeplanners again for any future GPS needs.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Darren on 13 May 2003

And it goes without saying that if you paid by Credit or Debit Card then take it up with the Card Providers.

Indeed you can request something that is referred to as a chargeback upto 3 months after the transaction on both credit and debit cards. Both the banks and traders do not really like this facility so you may have to insist, especially when using switch.

And please use it sensibly, so only after the vendor refuses to respond. As it is an administrative nightmare for any online or mailorder company providing 'cardholder not present' transactions.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul
Nobby
Occasional Visitor

I have eventually managed to speak to the director at this company who has assured me that the ordered item will be with me this week. I gave him a bit of a grilling and he explained that the fact they had taken the money before despatching the goods was an administrative error (sounds familiar), the fact that they failed to provide any kind of order confirmation (as required by the Distance Selling regulations) was down to admin error, the fact that they hadn’t responded to any emails was because their email server was not working (a web based company that has it’s primary method of communication out of action for over two weeks – gimme a break!). He also apologised for not responding to my fax, my letter, and problems getting through on telephone. From reading other comments it appears that all of this is the norm with this company. How they have managed to stay in business for 12 years I do not know.

To be fair to the director, when I eventually got hold of him he was very apologetic (even though the excuses were pretty pathetic) and was quite knowledgeable and helpful. However I won’t be giving them my custom ever again.

Simon

P.S Thanks to Dave for passing on the contact names.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

No problem Simon, I'm glad it helped!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: