Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fugawi vs Explorer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fugawi vs Explorer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Bedard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fugawi vs Explorer Reply with quote

Presently using Oziexplorer. Thinking of adding a Handheld to the GPS for Moving Map. I don't have the cash to buy the more expensive Pocket PC or whatever else that runs Windows CE that will work with Ozi. I will have to buy and learn Fugawi that will work with Palm. Will I be sorry? Should I save up and stay with Ozi? Any past experiences to share would be appreciated.

Regards
Markulous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fugawi vs Explorer Reply with quote

I have Fugawi (& SporTrak Pro), primarily for hiking, and find it good on the whole - there are a few eccentricities not helped by poor Help & support. The Euromap is very accurate (you can even see which side of the road you're on - very reassuring!) but doesn't show many minor roads and no tracks/paths. Since I use Autoroute (Streets & Trips in USA) for Routing can't really comment on Moving Map - I use laptop or iPaq, but it looks adequate. Will be using Moving Map more when weather improves & I'll take my iPaq hiking. Ozi probably better, tho' only looked at not really used.

There is, I believe, a Fugawi Demo available which you could try. Personally, I've come to like Fugawi over Ozi but my priorities may not be yours......
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

I dont have any experience of using a Palm, but do Fugawi and OziExplorer. I think that OziExplorer has more marginly more user functionality, but Fugawi has better management facilities. This changed somewhat with the latest version of OziCE, but Fugawi still has superior PC to PDA management capabilities.

If you do take the plunge and go for an iPaq then you might want to think about Memory-Map Pocket Navigator as well. The functionality is not as good as either Ozi or Fugawi, but for UK users the maps (1:25,000 OS Landranger) cant be beaten.
fugawi
Occasional Visitor

You may also want to look at the new FUGAWI UK software, which comes with the 1:50,000 Lanranger maps. The price is the lowest on the market (£49 for each of 4 regions) and it is full PC Software + Pocket PC + Palm however, it cannot load in non-OS maps.

More info at http://www.fugawi.com/docs/fugawiuk.html
TimB
Occasional Visitor

Aaah...in other words, whilst it might appear to be about to give Memory Map a good run for their money, it cannot utilize scanned maps and thus combine the benefits of the "origional" Fugawi software? Or am I wrong?
Markulous
Occasional Visitor

According to Fugawi you can't use scanned maps, but then I've got the "original" Fugawi v3. Very tempted to get the new maps tho' I'd prefer 1:25,000 (I use it mainly for hiking and scan O/S at present). Now if Fugawi were to improve their support to counter the criticisms..... see the Ozi Yahoo forum for ongoing thread
sfranchi
Occasional Visitor

You can't use scanned maps with Fugawi??? Yes you can do that, I do it all the time and is a really easier process (the calibration of them) than in OZI.

Regards.

Buenos Aires - Argentina
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

What our friend "Fugawi" means is that due to licensing restrictions imposed by the Ordnance Survey the Fugawi UK application cannot use any maps other than the OS maps.

The normal Fugawi application can of course still use maps from other sources.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: