Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW: TomTom GO 300 Traffic.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW: TomTom GO 300 Traffic.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: REVIEW: TomTom GO 300 Traffic. Reply with quote

Way back at CeBIT, TomTom not only announced the new GO300, GO500 and GO700, but they also introduced the new TomTom PLUS services.

Up until now the TomTom PLUS services have not been of much use as you need to be able to connect to the TomTom server. With the release of the GO300 this changed as it has Bluetooth and can connect to the Internet and the TomTom PLUS server. Now GO users can take advantage of a service that TomTom Navigator users have had for some time: TomTom traffic.

TomTom traffic is available in the following countries: UK, Germany, Holland, France, Belgium, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and Spain.

So what is the GO 300 Traffic like? Click here and read our full review.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I suggest you read the TT Traffic Fourm. You will see a lengthy debate on the accuracy of the data (one road I travel on is allegedly been blocked for 3 weeks!) , the dial in facility (oh, how many times have we seen "Unable to connect to TomTom" and no it is not my internet connection) or the downloads of traffic data failing (I have zero traffic downloaded, my account has expired, I don't have an account, server not avilable etc).

So while Go 300 and traffic maybe a better way forward for those new to SatNav, those who have been using traffic since July last year may disagree with you about the comment "Would not do without it" at the bottom of the review. I can only summise that PDA users are either connecting to a different server or with data that is at worst "average".

Itis need to improve their data, but TomTom have not made anything easier by refusing to support a product they claim to sell. Buyer beware, we have had times when 3 days go by without service........
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is fair comment. I tried the PDA version of traffic and found that I often had issues with it. Now I dont know if this was down to the server or the network provider, or the phone. All of which have been changed for TomTom PLUS services.

TomTom have indeed changed the servers for TomTom PLUS so the connectivity may also have improved. In the few weeks that I have had my 300 and have been using traffic on a daily basis the only connectivity problems I have seen were fixed with a new software release, or were because there was no GPRS service on the phone.

The comments about not wanting to be without it have come from a number of sources, probably those where the data coverage is good. One of these is DavidW one of the moderators.

I can only report as I have experienced. So far for me there have been no connectivity issues (where I had phone signal) and the data reported has been reasonably accurate. Now obviously this will vary across the country, I live and travel most of the time in the South East of the country, where they may be better data collection and reporting than other areas. I would also expect the motorway network to be better covered than the other roads.

Of course thare is always the 1 month free trial available for you to make up your own mind.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read with absolute horror the part about the 'device code' requirements. I'm planning to have both TomTom Navigator in the car and TomTom Mobile when I'm out and out without my car. I don't have a problem with paying for two versions of Navigator but why should I have to pay for two versions of traffic at the same time? I won't be using it at the same time!

It would be very easy for TomTom to make sure it is only used by one person at a time my making sure only one device connects (say within the space of an hour). There is no way I'm going to subscribe twice to get one product.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt like that either. When I am testing it will cause real pain switching between the devices that I have here. I accept that it is unusual to have more than one version of TomTom that you would want to use traffic with, but probably not that much.

I can sort of see why they have done it to protect revenue from some of the other PLUS services, but they could have implemented the protection in other ways.

As I said in the review this may come back to haunt them.
Smartboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom is ripping us brits off with there subscription charges for the Uk
and having the busiest roads is no excuse, but having said that us brits just put up with it. Bet you have got plenty of money to pay for it so you don't care. There subscription charges are more for all there services not
just traffic. I won't be subscibing, or lining tomtom's pockets with any of my money any more.
mattandamy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Tomtom Traffic Reply with quote

Hi All,

Im new to this and was wondering if the phone you connect to tomtom go 300 has to be on ccontract to use the traffic function.

I have an Orange SPV C500 on Orange payg and would love to use that.

Was wondering as in the review Mike mentioned it asks you if it is contract or pay as you go.

Many Thanks

Matt :D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Orange PAYG you should be OK. The C500 is a good phone for connectivity.

As you get a free months trial you can check out your set up before parting with any cash.
mattandamy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick reply.

I have got a Nokia 6680 on the 3 network and cant do it on that as they dont let you dial gprs to any site apart from the 3 site Angry

I'll buy a C500 today and test it and let peole know on here.

Matt
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention it the review "there are sensors on most major roads", but the Itis Web site says that their "estimotion technology" is "based on anonymously sampling the positions of mobile phones".
mattandamy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C500 works a treat. Bit costly though. Approx 90 pence for every time i check traffic.

Ive just bought a Nokia 7710 and put the tomtom software on that and it works better than the tomtom go 300!!

So i am selling my tomtom go 300 for anyone who wants it.

I will let it go for £350. Its only 2 weeks old , unmarked with the box and everything.

Matt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattandamy wrote:
The C500 works a treat. Bit costly though. Approx 90 pence for every time i check traffic.

How did you work that out? At approx £3 per Mb and roughly 8-15k per connection that's an average of less than 1p per call?
mattandamy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its £4 a mb on Orange PAYG

I dont know how it works it out but it definitely took 90 pence off my credit to do a traffic update.

I dont mind now anyway as im using the Nokia 7710 and im using my company vodafone simcard that i dont pay for data on.

Matt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough but I don't think it could consume nearly 250k making a single traffic update data call. I use Orange albeit on Contract and I don't think I've used 2 Mb in two or three months of regular use.

Having said all that, until GPRS becomes a flat rate service it is issues like this that will put everyone off.
mattandamy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ,

I might ring Orange and ask why it cost me so much as if what you saying is right , then i have been ripped off.

Matt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: