Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Avoid Roads + European routing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoid Roads + European routing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youngun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Avoid Roads + European routing Reply with quote

Hi

I have been using my Destinator 3.0.75 for the past few weeks with no problems and so far have been very impressed. But last night I was trying to programme a route in for a friend.

He wanted to drive from Suffolk to Dorset the normal route would be using the M25. The route it generated was OK, but my mate said he didn't want to drive on the M25 Confused

So I tried to add the M25 to the "Avoid Road" list, its not easy because you have to find a town where the M25 is found, ie dartford, Potters Bar etc. But to get it to avoid the M25 completely I had to programme in 5 different locations Sad

Does anyone know an easier way to get it to avoid a specific road???

Also has anyone used Destinator to navigate across Europe. I was hoping to use it and would have to buy the extra maps. But I have read some posts about earlier versions being very poor at routing in europe Sad
I don't want to pay $130 for maps of europe to find I don't use it because the routing is so poor.

anyones experinces would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new version of Destinator being made available soon. It's called Destinator PN and by all accounts it's better at routing in Europe, especillay accross country borders.

Up until 30 May you can upgrade to this new version for euro 49.90. You will have to deal with a German website www.comwave.de and they will only accept payment by direct bank transfer, but it's seems to be worth the effort. After 30 May the upgrade goes up to euro 79.90.

I have email several UK dealers and it seem that the upgrade and the new Destinator PN is not yet available in the UK.

Dave R
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link is to an upgrade of the European version. Will that:

(a) work as an upgrade to the UK and Ireland version of 3.0.75?
(b) include European maps which will work with the UK and Ireland version and
(c) include the same level of UK detail as the UK and Ireland version?

I've tried to make sense of the ordering process on the website but I don't speak German and Babelfish didn't help too much. There's something about sending in an original voucher. re they lloking for a receipt, or just the serial number or CD Key?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guys at comwave.de do speak English. I emailed them with some queries and they got back to me, in English, within the hour. They do require an original receipt or the original CDs. I sent my original CDs. As I understand it, the upgrade includes the full European maps including the UK.

If you go to the following forum http://www.pocketnavigation.de/board/thread.php?threadid=56465&page=1 there is more information and screenshots from the new Destinator PN. It's all in German but the guy who posted the info and screenshots works for Destinator Europe.

I will post more information when I received my upgrade. They are due to start sending them out on Monday (23rd May)

Dave R
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I'll email them and hopefully get my order placed within the next few days.
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. - it looks a very different product - new interface all together. The upgrade for 40 euro doesn't look to bad if it's such a new product.
scrumble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or does this not make sense?

To get the Western Europe maps, or rather the unlock code, from the Destinator site costs £109. But that site is offering maps of europe, and an upgrade to a better version of Destinator, for £33 goingupt and £54 after May 30th?

I've also found it at :

http://www.routeplanners.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=240&products_id=695

Although to confuse matters its listed under US maps Rolling Eyes
youngun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But are they unlocked maps of Europe????

Looks like I'm going to have to pay the $109 for the unlock code as I need the Europe maps for the weekend, and I doubt I could get the upgrade to PN sent out that quickly Sad I'm still trying to get the license key for my Destinator as it was missing from my Acer N35 bundle from Comet Evil or Very Mad

Loads to get organised and not enough time Evil or Very Mad
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. h5djr, do you know if the European maps you are getting are unlocked or provided with a key?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that the maps will be easily accessable as this is a 'Cross' upgrade offer that can be used to upgrade from any Navigation software not only Destinator's own. There are some FAQ on a German forum about the Cross upgrate and they include the following statement (translated by Babel Fish)...

Which map material is contained in Destinator pn? The following map material is contained in Destinator and can be used without reservation: - BeNeLux (consisting of Belgium, the Netherlands and lux castle) - Germany - EURoads - Iberia (consisting of Spain and Portugal) - Italia - Alps (consisting of Austria, Switzerland, north Italy, southeast France, South Germany) - Finland - France - Greece - Scandinavia (consisting of Denmark, Norway and Sweden) - UK_Ireland (consisting of large Britanien and Ireland).

They are suposed to be sending out the upgrades starting today so as soon as I receive my copy I will report back.

Dave R
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an email from Comwave.de this morning. The good news:
"the Destinator PN is a fullversion, so you can install it complete."
"all European maps need no extra key"
(I had asked about the upgrade being suitable for the UK & Ireland version of D3 and if any key was needed to use the full European maps).
The bad news:
"the price for Destinator PN is 49,90 € – the price for shipping is 28,- €"
That €28 for shipping (56% of the purchase price!) makes the upgrade almost €80 (£55) which is not much less than I paid for the full D3 3.0.75 only a few months ago. I know that the inclusion of the European maps (if they do work without a key) makes the value seem better but I don't really need them. If only we knew what the UK & Ireland upgrade price is to be ...
sgreenbank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Destinator PN on first edition of Pocket PC Windows 2003 ? Reply with quote

I note in the press release:
http://www.destinator1.com/news/PM_Cebit_DestinatorPN_230205_en_.pdf
that it mentions Pocket PC Windows 2003 2nd Edition. Is this just to access the landscape mode ? The Acer N35 and (the Mitac Mio 168 that I am considering) both have the first edition will they work with PN?

I also wonder if the Acer and Mitac (not being the fastest pocket PC's) may be too slow as most software upgrades go hand in hand with performance downgrade unless installed on new equipment.

Steve
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen shots I have seen are all portrait, but I wonder if the new version simply relies on the WM 2nd edition.

If it only runs on WMSE then not many people will be able to use from day one, only the most recent iPAQs run it or can upgrade.

Down trodden 5450 user!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: