Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the Mio 269 a con or not?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Mio 269 a con or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Is the Mio 269 a con or not? Reply with quote

Hi again everyone,

After having looked and looked until my eyes are sore at just about every GPS device on the market, I had finally made a decision on which device would best suit my needs - I had decided on the Mio 269. However, just as I was about to order one from Halfords I had one last look at the Mio website, and what a good job I did, for after checking the map information I came across an item I had missed - see below.

There are two main providers of maps for navigation: Tele Atlas and Navteq. More information about both companies can be found on their websites
Both companies’ maps are very highly detailed (offer complete coverage) in Northern Europe – Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, United Kingdom, Scandinavian countries. In other Western European countries (Spain, Portugal, Greece, some parts of France, and north of Finland) , as well as in large parts of Eastern Europe, the coverage is not 100% complete.

Lower coverage means that all major cities are still very detailed and are carefully mapped out; so are all the major roads. However, some of the small towns and villages, as well as local roads that lead to them might not be on the map.

What on earth is going on, can anyone enlighten me? You would have thought that France being a pretty popular tourist destination as well as a leading country in Western Europe would have been fully covered. Am I reading this right, as I am feeling somewhat conned, and until I get a clear answer I'm afraid it's back to looking at more units. I'm wondering if the NavMan product wouldn't be the best option. Anyone with any info or suggestions?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navman uses navteq

france is fully covered from what ive seen as are the other countries that make up western europe that just looks like a disclaimer in case some of the map data may be wrong the area that arent covered fully are eastern europe and many of the new countries that have joined europe though.

the maps that are available are exactly the same in detail that come with fitted car systems and microsoft autoroute etc you wont have been conned

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
navman uses navteq

france is fully covered from what ive seen as are the other countries that make up western europe that just looks like a disclaimer in case some of the map data may be wrong the area that arent covered fully are eastern europe and many of the new countries that have joined europe though.

the maps that are available are exactly the same in detail that come with fitted car systems and microsoft autoroute etc you wont have been conned

When you say France is covered, do you mean with the Mio 269 or a Navman. Another fly in the proverbial ointment, I have only just discovered that the NavMan is not a portable device i.e. no battery. Is there no perfect solution? Paper maps are looking more attractive my the minute.l
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

france is covered by both i think the moi uses telelatlas data and the navman i think uses navteq both devices will cover western europe

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: you cannot use the add on Safety Camera poi's or any others with the Mio268/9 units, that's till someone cracks the os and posts how.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Just a note: you cannot use the add on Safety Camera poi's or any others with the Mio268/9 units, that's till someone cracks the os and posts how.

I have to say that I am in something of a quandary as to which way to jump. On person says such and such a unit is no good, whilst others say not true, it doesn't matter which units one looks at. I had thought the Mio 269 was the one for me - extensive touring holiday in France coming up, but I have read some pretty indifferent reports about the 269. I think the Mio 168 might be better which uses Co-Pilot. My next choice in order of preference would be TomTom Go 300. I had written off NavMan due to the fact that it was not portable, however, I have since learned that the icn510 does have a battery and the Premium Edition comes with European street level maps, although compared with the Mio 269 it is a full £100 dearer plus you need to buy an extra memory card. At this rate I will end up with paper maps. Anyone got some sound advice on which will be the best option for touring France?
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..just one other point about the mio, there is virtually no back up as to regards spares in the uk at the moment, it is in the process of being set up and when the mio is in its cradle it has a tendancy to shake quite vigorously which makes it a pain to view. Sorry to confuse you a little more. My advice would be to spent a bit more and go for the navman 650
or the 510 premium edition.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootruss wrote:
..just one other point about the mio, there is virtually no back up as to regards spares in the uk at the moment, it is in the process of being set up and when the mio is in its cradle it has a tendancy to shake quite vigorously which makes it a pain to view. Sorry to confuse you a little more. My advice would be to spent a bit more and go for the navman 650
or the 510 premium edition.

Funnily enough I have just had an email from Mio today to say their online shop will be up and running from the end of next week. Re: the Mio cradle problem. Are you a Mio owner talking from experience with regards to the vigorous shaking problem, and is that shaking with the Mio's base using the dashboard as a rest?
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..nah mate, I just sell 'em for a living and had the mio for a decent test run. Good product,good software and a very good receiver but the constant shake really knocked my duck off! I think it's because the goose neck is too long for windscreen use, but bent back for a dash may help.
I'll give it a try today and let you know! Me Me Me
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootruss wrote:
..nah mate, I just sell 'em for a living and had the mio for a decent test run. Good product,good software and a very good receiver but the constant shake really knocked my duck off! I think it's because the goose neck is too long for windscreen use, but bent back for a dash may help.
I'll give it a try today and let you know! Me Me Me

I would be most interested to learn of the results of your experiment. My motor (Golf) has a pretty deep dashboard which is why I thought that although you say the gooseneck is quite long, the Mio could use the top of the dash as an extra support. The problem at present is that I cannot get a response from Mio to ascertain if the Dordogne is covered with street level mapping (if it isn't there's little point buying it). This leaves me with the NavMan Premium Edition (hellish expensive compared to others on the market) or the TomTom Go 300 (again street level maps of Europe not available till the end of June with no guarantee I could get hold of one then). All in all pretty frustrating.
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..it's a little better bent right round, but still prone to shaking. As to your second question, if the place you've mentioned isn't covered by the mio then it won't be covered by the navman as they share the same mapping data from teleatlas. Pop down to your local halfords( if you're in the UK and ask if they have a 269 demonstrator model (or 268)) and see if they will let you go on a short journey to see if the shaking is a problem for you or if you can live with it. The 269 is certainly a good buy at the mo'
£399 for full street mapping and a 2.5gig. drive is great value!
bopinbrianita
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just returned my 269 to Halfords and done a swap for the ICN510.
The Mio shakes got me down a bit but I also found that the unit could not keep up with its navigation especially around London. The final straw was when it crashed in central London and wouldn't come back on for 1/2 hour.
The Navman seems a little less user friendly and doesnt have all the gifts and gizmos as standard but you can see it when you are driving and it can navigate properly!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: