Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - People are SELLING the link to my postcodes files !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

People are SELLING the link to my postcodes files !
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScaredyCat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an example of freely available info -

http://www.statistics.gov.uk

SC

sorry couldn;t edit previous post
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

I'm not sure I did. The OS has no rights to grid references and post codes, the DO have the right to data THEY have compiled or purchased. Unless they can prove that the originating data is theirs then they have no claim. Only the provider of the data in this case I believe Tim, is able to tell is this is the case or not.

This is quite correct. The OS owns the copyright of all coordinates related to PostCodes obtained from the OS CodePoint database which they indeed compiled.
ScaredyCat wrote:

What I'm getting at is that, it IS possible that Tim scraped the data from somewhere else like one of the mapping sites, but that's an issue for the mapping site not the OS.

That is not true the copyright is owned by the OS and they have full rights to persue any infringements of it's copyright.
ScaredyCat wrote:

Both the Post office and OS sell this data, it does not mean that it's exclusively theirs - it's public information - I can stand in my back garden with a gps unit and find my postcode and grid reference with no bother. You are correct, I could start to compile a db/web interface so that people can add their own data and there are a number of people who've started/done similar things - google reveals all.

Indeed you can. But the coordinates would never be the same as those from the OS Codepoint data. Nobody is suggesting that the correlation between Postcodes and Coordinates are exclusive. Only the information that the OS have produced.

Anyway this is all a bit of a mute point. The main point here being that PocketGPSWorld.com will have to close if any of these companies decide to persue a law suit which they will obviously win. We can argue all we want but that will be the ultimate result.
ScaredyCat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is not true the copyright is owned by the OS and they have full rights to persue any infringements of it's copyright.

Only if the data came from the OS.

Quote:

Indeed you can. But the coordinates would never be the same as those from the OS Codepoint data.

Codepoint data is calculated as the centre of a postcode, in the post office case they snap to the nearest address.. It all debends on the level of accuracy used I spose...

Quote:

Anyway this is all a bit of a mute point. The main point here being that PocketGPSWorld.com will have to close if any of these companies decide to persue a law suit which they will obviously win. We can argue all we want but that will be the ultimate result.

Agreed, I was simply trying to point out that unless they can prove the data IS there's they'd have no case (mind you the government may have changed the justice system again to Guilty until proven innocent). That's aside from the fact that PocketGPS can't afford to see the case in court - which is exactly what the OS is relying on.

SC
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK a few points:

1. Mike - Having read the thread I understand the position that it may place the site in and I guess you guys make a living at this so understand your poistion on removing links

2. I am absolutely disgusted that we live in an era where it is easier for the OS (or anyone) to throw their weight around against a non-profit community than it is to stop either a profitable corporation (eBay) or unscrupulous profiteering individuals from infringing their supposed intellectual property rights.

3. The files will be back although I will not expose this site to possible action by posting here. I make nowt off my site so they can sue me all they like.

4. To the site admins/mods - you do realise that there have been dozens of posts with the link in ? I don't have then bookmaked or anything but you may wish to search for the url to ensure that all are removed.

Tim
ScaredyCat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

2. I am absolutely disgusted that we live in an era where it is easier for the OS (or anyone) to throw their weight around against a non-profit community than it is to stop either a profitable corporation (eBay) or unscrupulous profiteering individuals from infringing their supposed intellectual property rights.

Saddly non profits are easy targets, unless of course a billionaire runs them who enjoys a bit of litigation... most are just a group of like minded people talking about something they like, which means they can't afford the costs of a court case. In 99.9% of these cases the non profit site backs down without the need for any court action, making it very 'profitable' for ppl like the OS. It doesn't mean they wont go after the ebay types.

SC

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: