Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Navigator 2.0 - reliability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Navigator 2.0 - reliability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamesf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom Navigator 2.0 - reliability Reply with quote

I've just invested around £950 in an iPAQ H5450, 128Mb SD memory card, car cradle, Emtac bluetooth GPS receiver and Tom Tom Navigator 2.0 software.

I'm impressed with the iPAQ, especially the biometrics and the ActiveSync software (bought from amazon.co.uk. The Emtac bluetooth GPS receiver is superb - the time to first fix is very fast and well below the manufacturer's guide in my neck of the woods (bought from Handnav).

However, I am less impressed with Tom Tom's Navigator 2.0 software. I read extensively before I chose it so I knew what to expect. However, I didn't anticipate how unstable it would be. I loaded the core program into the iPAQ's resident memory and the entire UK map on the 128Mb SD card.

So far, Tom Tom's software has crashed with annoying regularity. When I choose to navigate to a preset 'favourite' location (such as my office) via menu links accessed from the Navigator screen, Tom Tom usually shuts itself down. Often, it then refuses to cooperate until the iPAQ is reset. If you choose to navigate to your preset 'home' from the Navigator screen the software usually hangs and locks the iPAQ up. In addition to this when attempting to add a new 'favourite' location from the Map screen by tap-and-hold and choosing the add to favourites menu offering nothing happens! You could suggest that the iPAQ is unstable but, when using other applications, it has been fine so far.

The instability when choosing and setting regular destinations is so frustrating because you end up entering each journey via the addressing feature (which is very slow but seemingly more reliable). Also, I find it puzzling why, within the addressing feature, there is no option to choose a 'favourite' location via links rather than going through the city, road and house number selectors. Amazingly, the addresing feature won't recognise 'Kings Lynn' even though it is a fairly sizeable town in Norfolk - I only found out because I needed to get there so I'm not sure if other main towns are missing!

The map rendering itself is good but by no means up to date. I've only been using this stuff for less than a fortnight but I notice that a new housing estate, which have been around for a couple of years now, is not included plus a retail park that's been around for 3 years. Finally, I've noticed some roads are labelled 'unnamed' by Tom Tom even though they've been around for years.

I would be pleased to receive feedback on my experiences.
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom Navigator 2.0 - reliability Reply with quote

Jamesf,

Tom Tom Navigator 2.0 does have a lot of problems. Fortunately you can go to the Tom Tom support page and download the latest revision. Hopefully this will sort out your instability problems. http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/download_navigator2.php
Darren
Frequent Visitor

James, the issue with favourites triggering a crash has been fixed and the latest version posted today is v2.05 available here

The missing towns and locations has been a long standing issue and each map data provider has their own distinct problems in this area although IMHO Navtech do seem to be more up to date, TomTom have sadly stuck with TeleAtlas. You may also find it useful to create a seperate POI category e.g. Family and save their locations to this rather than Favourites, that way you get around the 20 favs limit and can create as many categories as you wish. Another advantage of this method is you can copy out and backup the .ov2 file that holds this data in case you ever need to reinstall.
Jamesf
Occasional Visitor

Eagle, Darren, thanks for this.

TomTom.com highlights fixes to some of the issues I mentioned in its version 2.02 and 2.05 downloads (which confirms the problem is indeed with their software not the iPAQ). I've downloaded and will report my findings once I've uploaded to my iPAQ and road tested...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: