Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for a recommendation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a recommendation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Looking for a recommendation Reply with quote

I am needing to get a GPS Unit - I was looking at the Navman 630 - my requirement is such that I can plan a route on my Laptop or PC and then download the route/waypoint data to the GPS Unit - the 630 apparently cant do this - which is a shame - so I am open to ideas of a system that can fulfil this requirement and is user friendly - an IPAQ/Pocket PC Solution is on the agenda again - it also has to cover Europe in addition to the UK - as we are travelling around Europe for 15 days this summer

I particularly liked the UI on the Navman products - it looked very clear and usable

DavidM
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Looking for a recommendation Reply with quote

David, why do you want to plan a route on your laptop or PC ? The iCN630 will allow you to type a full address in very quickly which should negate this. With all routing systems you wlil be forced into taking the route they plan (no stop over points), but you can ignore the route it plans out and it will re-route you accordingly.
DavidM
Regular Visitor

I frequently organise drives for our car club - as such it is necessary to plan a route on a PC (or a large scale map) then follow this route in the car - normally a route may have 10 - 20 waypoints on there - we plan the routes according to the type of roads we want to cover - eg when we are going to Switzerland this summer - we have a set number of routes that we want to follow - which take in a lot of the passes and the tunnels - we definetely want to traverse these roads - as such we'll have preplanned them - the GPS System is there to provide "on the road" assistance for me when leading a group of cars

Hence the need for the preplanning (and downloading of waypoints) - probably not a typical use for a GPS - but I will be using it in a conventional fashion too

Do you have first hand experience of the iCN 630? is it a good piece of kit - how does one upgrade the maps when Navman release new sets etc?

David
DavidM
Regular Visitor

I have to admit that a combo of a Loox with TomTom Navigator looks pretty enticing though

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: