Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What’s wrong with this setup ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What’s wrong with this setup ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: What’s wrong with this setup ? Reply with quote

I have a 3635 iPaq, a serial hotsync cable (just received it) a male-male converter and a Magellan 310 gps.

For some reason my pocket pc won't receive the NMEA transmissions of the GPS. I'm set on com port 1. No keyboard driver is installed.

The GPS works well on a laptop computer with Microsoft Street & Trips. It doesn't on my iPaq with pocket Streets & Trips. What could be wrong ? The serial cable, maybe the converter ? Here's a picture of my setup :

trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: What’s wrong with this setup ? Reply with quote

My guess is that you're using two cables which are both designed to be connected to the laptop or PC. To join them to each other, you need a null modem cable, which swaps the transmit and receive wires over. The male-male adapter handles the physical connection, but the null modem is also required. At the moment, your Magellan is outputting data on (say) pin 2, but your iPAQ serial cable is expecting to receive it on pin 3. (Actual pin numbers might be wrong, it's been a long day). The null modem converter handles this swap-over.
Camerio10
Occasional Visitor

Wow that was fast ! Your answer is pretty logic. I'm going right now get the correct adapter, and give you feedback on it. Thanks ! (finally I got the pic to show).
Camerio10
Occasional Visitor

All right, that was the problem ;) Thanks !!!

(Couldn't find a DD9 null-modem... I had to buy 3 pieces: DB9 to DB25;DB25 null-modem;DB25 to DB9. At least, I can hide all these adapters under the car's carpet. But if I want to walk with it... it's too big !! hehe. Thanks again !
Darren
Frequent Visitor

As trafcam have said, the error is in your using a male-male converter instead of a null-modem adapter. Once you've got one of those you'll be sorted

You could get a custom one piece cable from Pc-Mobile that would reduce the cables and connectors you have?
Camerio10
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the site, I'll keep it for future needs ;)

For now, with all the connectors under the car's carpet, I'm all right !

Thanks again trafcam!
jdm5646
Occasional Visitor

Camerio10

I have an Pocket Streets 2002, iPAQ 3870, Magellan 315, null modem, serial data cable for my iPAQ and a serial data cable for my gps.

Now what?

What does this do for me?

How do you get the gps information to the pda?

This looks interesting and (maybe) exactly what I am looking to accomplish, I think.

Thanks

jdm

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Providing you have the 315 set to output NMEA and the cable is connected to the 315 and iPAQ, then you should be able to receive data on COM1, NMEA 4800. You can check this by downloading WinFast Navigator from our downloads page and setting the PORT Settings as above and then tapping CONNECT and going to the VIEW DEVELOPMENT screen and you should see the NMEA stream coming through.

Software wise there's a whole host of software available for street routing and topographical maps that enhance the experience.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: