Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEWBIE!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWBIE!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAXlMUS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: NEWBIE!! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am currently learning the art of aviation in the UK.

I poccess an Ipaq 3870 and am wondering which is the best/most reliable gps hardware to use for aviation use?

Also which software would you recommend, I have looked at http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_intheair.htm which looks quite good.

And Oblige

Mark
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Mark,

Have a look at the aviation articles, now found under 'Reader Mounts'.

I am still regularly using the set-up described.

Your 3870 should be ideal.

I do not use a bluetooth GPS receiver but the tried, trusted and fast responding Leadtek 9531, with a 12v battery pack giving power to both GPS and PDA for ca.5hrs.

I use the MM CAA maps for UK and download from Aeroplanner for Europe and USA. These are fine and with MM you can also display position, height, speed etc.

There is more 'advanced' software, but more expensive and very much a personal choice.

Happy flying

pevelius
Occasional Visitor

hi mark

i trust peterīs choise of maps should work very well. also a raster image software (memorymap, ozi explorer, fugawi) should be ok. the only real disadvantage with those is that they donīt display the airspace information (what i mean they donīt automatically remind you, you have to look it from the map). otherwise they are very flexible and great for VFR.

on the other hand, you can try the following softwares:

winpilot, anywhere map, nav gps, efis ce

i use emtac bt gps when flying C-152, since it doesnīt have a power outlet. it works great. i have ordered a yoke mount for garmin and will attach a brodit pda clip to it when it arrives. that should be a good setup.

i also have garmin g-35 with ipaq connection kit from hkavionics for use with 12V-48V outlets found in most 4-seat planes (though emtac really is good there too, since it doesnīt need wires). battery lasts for 4-6 hours with emtac(ipaq 3970).

MAXlMUS
Occasional Visitor

Hardware wise I was going to go for one of the Compact Flash Gps solutions (pretec compact/Holux GM-270),as these are cheaper options to the Navman Jackets and can accept external ariels.

Any experiences with these?

Mark
PeterB
Regular Visitor

Mark,

The problem with any antenna actually attached to the PBA is the limitation in cockpit positioning.

i.e. you need to achive a combination of easily visible screen AND and antenna position for good signal strength.

A BT antenna OR a separate, hard wired antenna would be more practical.

Otherwise you may need a Re-rafdiating antenna in addition.

?? What aircraft are you likely to be flying???
pevelius
Occasional Visitor

Mark

if you want a cheap solution and the planes you fly have power outlet, then you may want to consider haicom 203E (propably garmin inside™) with a simple wire system for powering ipaq and gps. the price at hkavionics is 125€ (roughly 100Ģ), you should find it in UK, too (if not, it can be ordered from finland with 15€ shipping+handling)

the good thing with this setup is, that it uses a standard 12V plug, powers ipaq and gps forever and the gps can be fitted to any place in the cockpit (long wire).
TonyP
Regular Visitor

The most reliable system is an portable aviation GPS with batteries, a display and buttons, even if you supply it with aircraft power. You can still use it to feed a Pocket PC.

Having something with batteries is good because power outlets are unreliable and I once had a main fuse blow in flight.

For powered aviation, I think these standalone GPS's are all you need, you are usually flying straight to somewhere, and you can follow progress on a paper chart.

It is much easier to divert in bumpy weather using buttons than by tapping on a screen.

The PDA solution is more useful for gliding where you are often wandering about or drifting while thermalling, and where the PDA can do all sorts of gliding related optimisations.
PeterB
Regular Visitor

TonyP,

Can you tell us which 'stand alone' GPS you have used for power flying??

We hope to evaluate a variety of these and compare them with PDA systems in practical flight conditions during the coming months.
TonyP
Regular Visitor

A 15 Year old Garmin 55 AVD. It is not made any more of course, but it tells me where to go and how long it will take to get there. I used to have a biplane and had trouble with reception until I installed a Lowe amplifed antenna on the top wing.

Even with the buttons, it is not always easy setting it in the air, and I cant imagine tapping a PDA screen, unless you fly above the weather.

If I had to choose now, I would get a garmin III pilot, and connect it to a PDA to display an additional moving map in order to impress my friends.

For gliding, it would be the cheaper Garmin eTrex connected to a gliding program on a PDA. For gliding the altitude is important, but now that SA is off the normal GPS altitude is accurate enough, and there is no real need for a GPS with a barometric altimeter.

For anyone learning to fly, it might be better to put off buying a GPS, and to learn to use a map and compass first, even if only to pass the nav test. For VFR flying all a GPS does is to let you carry on scud running when the weather turns IFR.
pevelius
Occasional Visitor

Tony

welcome to the board. you are correct in all your statements. however, i think people on this board wish to expand their hobby into something more fun with gadgets of all sorts. itīs not about practicality.

i too would recommend a setup that can be powered with batteries. thatīs not a problem if you just build a portable battery pack, as Peter and I have done.

garmin pilot III is an excellent unit.a very good choise, since it can be used on itīs own and it is very easy to attach to a pda, too. on the other hand, if you have a pda then there are better options (that allow you to place the receiver to an optimal position in the cockpit, take less space or donīt need wires). but pilot III is indeed the best stand-alone gps for hobbyist.

many programs for pda allow you to map functions to hardware buttons. ozi explorer doesnīt (yet), but it still can be used without the stylus (the screen is divided into 9 parts during navigation and they can be used as large buttons). i agree that playing with stylus in rough weather is not an option.

as for me, i am very happy with my config now. i ordered a garmin yoke mount and attached a brodit pda holder to it. that i use with my g35 or emtac bt gps. for g35 i have a 12v external battery pack that uses the cigarette lighter socket for powering both pda and gps and feeds the gps signal for pda.

what it comes to learning real navigation, i think every vfr pilot should practise that all the time. it is the base of all aviation. as i said, the idea of pda is to make the hobby into something even more fun.

Pevelius

PeterB
Regular Visitor

Tony and Pevelius,

Some excellent points which we hope to address, with your help as the aviation part of the site develops.

We all agree that keeping our map and VOR skills is essential BUT GPS kit is developing in all areas and should end up with something more user friendly. Our tests and reviews ought to guide the developers in that direction.

Fly with a friend and he/she can help!!!!!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Aviation / Marine Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: