Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it any good
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it any good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_zippy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Is it any good Reply with quote

I would like to purchase a Bluetooth enabled GPS receiver, which currently means either the Emtac/Socket BTGPS or the Fortuna GPSmart. On paper the latter looks more useful due to the inbuilt screen, waypoint recording and replacable AAA batteries. It's also cheaper to boot! I would like to use it for driving and walking (coupled with iPAQ 3970). Any comments? Where's the best place to buy? Expansys have them for £200ish.
ToneLoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Is it any good Reply with quote

I wanted a small, but handy GPS unit. Was really quite excited by the Emtac unit, but not by the lack of display - i.e. Without the Ipaq it was useless.

Just purchased the GPSmart BT unit from GlobalPositioningSystems in the UK for <£200 incl. VAT and has the latest UK based rom installed. Superb product - speed to acquisition is stunning (against my Navman Jacket).

So far only tried it with TomTom 1.5, which seems ok - strange that it only shows around 5-6 sats locked, when the GPSmart is showing between 10 and 12 locked!

I also have Navmans SmartST software, so about to uninstall TomTom and reload that to see whether it works with that. I'll post the results next week.

Tony

O O

|

\_/
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Guys,

I am currently polishing off a review of the GPSmart. I am planning to get it published later this week.

Is it any good? Well like most things Yes and No.

ToneLoc
Occasional Visitor

Tried the Smart-ST software today - discovered it will only detect and work with Navman hardware - oh well, put TomTom back on - upgraded to 1.51 and GPS 2.02 drivers - working really well.

Gave it a good blast across country and through some towns and not let me down.

Tomorrow will be a good test - A50 (M1/J24 to Stoke-on-Trent) has a number of areas which the Navman 3400 jacket "shutsdown" on. See if this continues to work...

Tone

O O

|

\_/
ToneLoc
Occasional Visitor

Down the A50 - Not a problem, never saw less than 7 Sats being tracked at any one time. For 8 miles, had a full suite of 12!

For the money I can't rate it high enough. I was going for the Emtac unit originally, but the fact that it was going to be dedicated to the Ipaq (no screen) was making it difficult to justify to the wife!

Tony
wormscoffer
Occasional Visitor

Hello

Firstly, only came across this site a couple of days ago and have found it very useful. Good work!

I'm a bit of a sucker for gadgets and have often thought about buying a GPS but haven't yet.

Bluetooth is one of the few really useful technologies that have emerged recently and I make full use of my Bluetooth T68, In-car hands free and iPaq. When I saw the BT GPS items on the market decided it was time to buy.

Trouble is, the Emtec model gets the better write-up on this site, but the concept if the GPSmart is better. I'm obviously going to use it in the car on a day to day basis but also do some mountain biking and mountaineering. I'm wondering whether to buy an Emtec and another hand-held GPS or just the GPSmart.

When I take the GPS on the hill I need to know I can use it over a 2 or 3 day period and probably in sub zero temperatures. I'd obviously be silly to take the iPaq.

What I'm trying to ask is whether the poorer performance of the GPSmart is outweighed for my requirements by the display and use of standard batteries?

Any advice appreciated.

This August, I'm leaving the UK for a trip to France, then on to Switzerland for two weeks during which I intend to be climbing Mont Blanc, Monte Rosa and other peaks. I'll be driving all the way. If you could use it, I'd be happy to write a review of whatever I finish up purchasing to include it's use across France by road and on the hills.

Andrew
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

If you're not planning to take the Ipaq with you then in my opinion you'd be better advised to go for one of the dedicated handheld GPS devices, because the functionality of the Fortuna is quite basic when compared with the range of Garmins and Magellans out there.

The normal batteries used in the Fortuna are also a problem. Over its lifetime you're going to be spending a lot of money on batteries. If you go for the rechargeable kind then you'll have to put up with shorter battery life, plus the problem that most battery chargers have to charge batteries in pairs (ie two or four at a time) while the Fortuna GPSmart takes three batteries. In other words, rechargeable batteries will not be straightforward either.

(Of course you won't get detailed OS maps on the handheld GPSs, but you will get accurate tracks and long battery life.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I would also say that from our experiences the Fortuna works fine as a Bluetooth GPS, but it depends what you want to use it for. If you're only looking for a Bluetooth receiver, then either the Emtac/Socket or Fortuna will work, although the Emtac/Socket has better technology in it. If you're also looking for a basic GPS that can stand on it's own, then I would personally go with Peter on this and say go for a dedicated handheld GPS like a Garmin or Magellan. They will give you more in standalone features than the Fortuna, and the screen technologies are much better than the Fortuna.

However, saying that if you're looking for both a BT Receiver and handheld in one unit, the Fortuna currently is the only one to supply this together. You can connect a Garmin or Magellan very easilyl with a small 50cm cable to most Pocket PC's without any problems.
GingerNut
Lifetime Member

I use my GPSmart with my iPaq 3970 and it brilliant :-)

I wouldn't use it as a stand alone GPS as the display and lack of upload of waypoints makes it useless compared with my Magellan Sportrak Map.

I've used it with my iPaq running both Memory Map and TT Nav 2 and it's sh*t hot :-)

Satellite acquisition is extremely fast and will hold onto even one satellite, although the software on the iPaq loses it with less that 3.

One BIG problem I've found........600mA rechargable AAAs last less than 2 hours :-(

Yours Roy

JavaScript Trainer www.jast.co.uk

wormscoffer
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the comments.

I settled on the Emtac which I purchased from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk.

The unit arrived and took minutes to setup. However after half an hour or so it refused to even try and find any satellites with the green LED staying off all the time. A call to the supplier and it was replaced immediately. The replacement arrived tested and charged. Excellent customer service; so rare these days.

I've never used a GPS before but I gather from my reading that the fact it can lock onto 12 satellites while in the glove box is fairly good!

It seems like I'll be looking at buying a seperate hand-held unit for use on the hill.

Cheers

Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: