Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator PN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator PN
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Destinator PN Reply with quote

According to Destinator Europe and a partner website, the new Destinator PN is being released in Germany on 23/5/05. There is a special offer on the partner website - www.comwave.de - that enables existing users to upgrade to the new version for EURO 49.90 - delivery to the UK costs a further EURO 24.14 making a total of EURO 67.16. This offer is only available until the begining of June. The price then goes to EURO 79.90.

Proof of purchase or sending the original CDs are required. Their normal method of payment is by Bank Transfer, which would be difficult from the UK to Germany so I have asked them if their is any other method available - PayPal or Credit Card for example. I will let you know their reply.

Dave R
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty steep upgrade price given that the original UK & Ireland software costs just over £60. Perhaps the UK/Ireland upgrade will be more reasonably priced, but given Destinator's lack of interest in or support for non-German customers, I doubt it. Much as I like the Destinator software (I really do), I'm wary of spending any more money with them. Although they purport to provide an email support service, emails are rarely responded to and even then, the only advice given will be to call a German helpline at international call costs. There is no UK support facility or helpline.
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty steep upgrade price given that the original UK & Ireland software costs just over £60. Perhaps the UK/Ireland upgrade will be more reasonably priced, but given Destinator's lack of interest in or support for non-German customers, I doubt it. Much as I like the Destinator software (I really do), I'm wary of spending any more money with them. Although they purport to provide an email support service, emails are rarely responded to and even then, the only advice given will be to call a German helpline at international call costs. There is no UK support facility or helpline.
nunew33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive emailed 2 questions in 2 days in the last week and had replies to both within 24 hours.

Maybe things are changing (have only just got mine so have no idea what they have been like in past)
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had reason to ring Destinator here in Germany (I live in Germany-English is my mother tongue and I speak German) and I regret to say it was a truely awful experience. Unfriendly, impolite, incompetent.

Germany is known for bad service, but Destinator Germany really was too much.

However, I am looking forward to the review of Destinator PN.

Clavain
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Destinator Europe on the phone, but I have emailed them twice and got prompt and polite replys within a a day or so.

The other morning I emailed their partner who is handling the updates and got almost instant replies.

I've had quite a number of dealings with various German companies recently and always found that they reply promptly and politely despite me emailing them in English.

Dave R
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe I should write instead of ringing. Idea

I am happy that you received good service. It is a number of years since I contacted Destinator so maybe it has improved. At the time I wanted to buy maps for North America and eventually had to have them shipped over from America.

Clavain. 8)
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I've emailed them four or five times in the past two months and I've had only one response which was limited to a request to call Germany or to provide my phone number so they could call me. I've emailed my phone number (twice so far) and have heard nothing.

Would it be cynical to suspect that questions to which they have answers get prompt responses but difficult ones get kicked into the long grass? My questions related to the bug which causes incorrect visual directions to be displayed for many roundabouts and whether a fix or free upgrade would be made availble to affected users.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find there is a update available that fixes the roundabout problem. I have recently obtained a 30-day trial version from a company in the US with the full European maps. It was the latest 3.0.75 version and seems to work OK with roundabouts. If you go to the main Destinator website at www.destinator1.com you will be able to download the patch to 3.0.75 but I think they make a charge.

As well as trying Destinator I have also tried a copy of TomTom. Two locations I tried in each, my mother's address where she has lived for the last 50 years and the hotel where we a staying in Austria this year. Destinator found both with no problem. TomTom could not find either.

I have now placed an order with Destinator Europe's partner who is handling the upgrade to Destinator PN. It is due to be released on 23 May 2005.

Dave R
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3.075 but there is still a problem with some roundabouts where the voice prompt is correct but the visual indicator is wrong. It doesn't happen with every roundabout but often enough that results cannot be relied upon.
djhonline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried the new version yet & is it worth upgrading to?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an email this morning confirming that my upgrade to Destinator PN has been despatched. As soon as it arrives and I get it loaded on my new iPAQ 4700 I'll let you know what I think.

Dave R
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global Positioning Systems are now listing the new Destinator PN on their web-site. The full European map version is £99.99 and the UK and Ireland version £79.99. Delivery is quoted as 2/3 days for the Europe version and Mid-June for the UK and Ireland only version.

The Destinator Europe website www.destinatoreurope.com has details of the new PN version.

Dave R
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I complained about the service from Destinator here in Germany and would like to comment on my new experience.

I sent in an info request on their web page a week ago and still haven't received a reply, so as far as I am concerned the service has not improved since I last contacted them (see above).

The web page states:
Quote:
We always look forward to your questions, ideas and requests. Feel free to send us an e-mail or letter, call us or fax us.
We’re always here for you.

Maybe they are always "there for me" but their "being there" doesn't appear to extend to answering mail.

I did contact their partner, www.comwave.de and found the service to be first class, both fast and friendly, however unfortunately http://www.destinatoreurope.com/en/index.php?id=0401 doesn't seem to be online.

Clavain
Clavain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way, for anyone who clicks on the comwave link in previous post:

The statement there says that the first delivery of Destinator PN has arrived but didn't contain enough copies for everyone who ordered the update.

A new delivery is expected, but when is not known
Quote:
"Einen genauen Liefertermin können wir leider nicht nennen"

However I was taking to comwave and they told me they are expecting a delivery at the end of this week.

Clavain

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: