Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fatal Application Error - FIX!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fatal Application Error - FIX!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fatal Application Error - FIX! Reply with quote

Time to hard reset your PocketPC and re-install I think. What model do you have?
L;eifN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Fatal Application Error - FIX! Reply with quote

I dont think the problem is related to CF cards.

I had a similar problem - and after a couple of soft resets - uninstalls and installs - that didn't work - I tried to delete "Navigator GlobalSettings.cfg" (located in My Device\My Documents\TomTom Navigator Settings\).

That did solve my problem.

In the meantime I found out that I could start the application using a file on my CF-card on which the Kopenhagen map is installed - just by tapping Kopenhagen.pna

My HW is Ipaq 3630 w/CF sleeve and Haicom 203E.

Rgds

Leif
freeshares
Occasional Visitor

i had the problem on an axim. I just did a soft reset and it fixed it.
mshah
Regular Visitor

Problem discussed in the thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=62&TopicID=2554&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1

Basic problem is that Navigator 2 looses communication with Emtac BTGPS and freezes on the last position. Might be a Ipaq 3870 problem. Not sure.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Above, I have suggested deleting and 'regenerating' the file NavigatorSettings.cfg as a preferable alternative to reinstalling the entire map directory. This is of course quicker and retains Favourites. I also believe that this is the only file which is being corrupted.

As an enhancement, I now keep a backup copy of the file in another directory which I can copy and paste to replace a deffective copy. This saves re-entering preferences eg assignment of hardware buttons, layout of screens etc.

Sadly, this is only the treatment of a symptom rather than a cure for crashes etc.

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Buffy, you will be glad to here that TomTom are working on this very issue and the current Beta has increased POI handling capacity as one of it's benefits. I can't say any more but rest assured that this issue will be resolved
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

We have had several "Fatal Application Error ... Exception: 0xc0000005" errors. They always seem to have been associated with trying to load too many POI sets at the same time.

We have a lot of POIs which we would like to use. However, if we try to load them all TomTom falls over with a Fatal Exception as soon as we try to run it. Removing some of the POI sets has always cured the problem so far (famous last words!). As a result we have to switch POI sets according to what's currently most interesting by exiting TTN, then copying the ov2 files of most current interest into the maps directory and removing the least wanted ov2 files, then restarting TTN2 (and praying). It's rather tedious. It's also a great shame because TTN2 handles POIs very well.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Does anyone know what limits there are on POIs (e.g. total file size, total number of points, or whatever)? We are using version 2.02. Have any subsequent changes been directed at increasing the POI capacity?

Hugh
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

I understand the CF to be FAT16, does it cause any problems changing it to FAT32, and does it increase the speed/memory usage?

Steve.
parkyerbike
Occasional Visitor

I had the same issue after a fresh install. I had put TT2/Voice/Maps all on my SD card.

Uninstalled TT2/Voice/GPS and reinstalled in the main storage, left maps where they were, seemed to work...
TonyP
Regular Visitor

I have had the route preference change to hidden as well. When it happened I couldnt work out why the route wasnt visible anymore because I didnt know about the preference. Took me a week before I found it.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

Dave, as you will see on the thread "Tom Tom or Windows Problem" I have reported similar problems.

I have formatted the CF card chosing FAT32. However, I did experience the problem with the card 'factory-fresh' which was formatted FAT16.

If you read my posts on both threads you will see that when I have had problems, which can precede a fatal error, the Preference for the Route appearance, self-changes from "Dashed in Foreground to "Hidden". The preference is of course in NavigatorSettings.cfg. This has happened on several occasions.

CF Expansion Pack
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Just picked up on this thread, talking about map corruption, it would be interesting to see whether or not everyone who experiences this sort of problem, whether you formatted the storage card yourself, and if so did you choose FAT32 when formatting the card or FAT16 ?
johnmar
Regular Visitor

I have had recent problems with fatal errors and went down the various reinstall and hard resets etc.

I also found that the problem was map-related and that a configuration file in the directory containing the map data was probably being corrupted. The file does in fact store all the various changeable properties e.g. map type, display options etc. and is called NavigatorSettings.cfg.

I was able to safely delete the file as it is re-generated when the aplication is opened again, as though it is the first time that it is being run. All you then need to do is re-set your preferences.

This is a quick way to reinstate the software and probably doesn't lose any save favourite locations, which happens on a re-install

CF Expansion Pack
Darren
Frequent Visitor

Well I'm glad to hear that worked! I must say I've never heard of that before but it's well worth remembering for the future. I'm glad you didn't take my advice as you'd probably have been left with the same problem even after a hard reset
NikosF
Occasional Visitor

Piers,

Did your suggestion - deleted the map data on my SD card and reinstalled. Now works again!

Thanks - you saved me a hard reset.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: