Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of cracking screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of cracking screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: USER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of cracking screen Reply with quote

Just wanted to warn everyone about carrying their Navman 510 in their trouser pocket. I put mine there today whist having my lunch, in the protective case with padded side to the screen. Did no moving other than sit down and stand up and when i put my navman back into the holder it had a crack across the screen. There was nothing else in my pocket either. Have spoke to Navman about it and basically its tough!!!!! :x Crying or Very sad . Can be repaired at enormous expense but warranty is for nothing, despite my telling them how it happened and the fact there is not a mark on the unit to prove it has not and has never been dropped. If it is that sensitive then surely a hard faced case should be provided or available at least. Just thought i would post this as a warning to everyone else who has one of these Nav units. Does anyone out there know of a hard case that would fit the unit snuggly just incase i can afford repair/ new unit??
dai_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be worth checking your home ins' cameras and stuff are sometimes covered.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have accidental damage cover on your home contents and 'all risks' away from the home then you can claim.

Check your policy.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icarus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Cracked screen? Reply with quote

Just a thought - isn't the rigid side there to protect the screen?
regards,

Icarus
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against something bumping it, yes. But sitting down with it in your pocket could cause it to bend slightly and crack. I've heard of it happening to pda's before. It's not adviseable.
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rigid side on my case is simply a piece of cardboard inserted into the leather. I pointed out to Navman that a solid case would be better thus preventing any bending, banging etc and the chap agreed with me but there is as far as he was aware none available. A warning printed on the box or instructions would be a help also. My household insurance does cover me but i have to pay an excess and also lose my no claims bonus. Sad
Dave_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the unit in its' own case inside my camera bag. The cardboard screen protector in the original case is just not up to the job. Cost me 250gbp for Navman to "fix" (supply a replacment).

Anyhow I now keep it in one of these :
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PG-340PitchBlack

It's waterproof, floats, and they say you can even drive a car over it ! Bit over the top maybe and only "coat" pocketable, but I feel much less worried now !
(And I've dropped it a couple of times now with no damage).
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Dave. I will keep the info as and when the insurance company contact me however if a new one is offered i am thinking of buying another brand as the back up service supplied by Navman is worse than useless. I even sent a copy of this forum to Navman a couple of months ago to show how much the company was being slated and they have not even had the decency to reply or even defend themselves. If the word gets out enough and hits sales they may sit up and listen. Cheers................................
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think Navman are more than aware of this forum. I had the opportunity of speaking to a Navman representative a month ago and decided to explain how unhappy I (and many others were) about their 'customer service'. When I then mentioned this forum he rolled his eyes and said, "Oh yes, them" !

He promised me a number of improvements to the way customer complaints and queries are dealt with but I've yet to see them.

Hopefully we are making an impression.
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunter, what are you actually complaining about, the fact that you broke your iCN510, or the fact that you had to pay for it to be repaired? I broke the screen on my Nokia phone 2 weeks ago, and I'm sure you know what Nokia said to me... Yep, they told me I would have to pay for a repair. Seems like standard practice to me... And of course you think Navman's service is crap, because you didn't get the answer you wanted. If they had given a more positive answer, you would be singing their praises. That said, is it quite difficult to get hold of them.
sunter18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated in my initial entry my complaint with Navman is that if there is a possibility of the screen cracking when such a small amount of pressure is applied then there should be a warning on the box or instuctions or a hard box supplied not the useless soft case (the whole point of my post in the first instance). The fact that Navman are useless at customer service is a seperate issue altogether. Just to show you what i mean i spoke to Navman 14 days ago (after 35 minutes on hold) and after lenghty discussion they told me that they would email me a form to complete and return the item for inspection /repair and as of writing i still have received nothing from them. I have tried to speak to them on several occasions about a fault the unit had (certain letters only work when pressed on a corner and the letter y virtually not working at all) and got so fed up with being put on hold and not answered that i learned to live with it. If you are going to have a go please read all the facts first. Thanks..........

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: