Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 3400/3420 and iPAQ 5400 no go!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 3400/3420 and iPAQ 5400 no go!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 3400/3420 and iPAQ 5400 no go! Reply with quote

Direct from the Navman website...

Navman GPS 3400 is not recommended for use with the HP iPAQ H5400 series PDA

Based on initial testing, we have found that although the SmartST Professional software does install and work on this iPAQ, you may experience the device occasionally locking up, to which the solution would be to leave the iPAQ inserted in the GPS, and then soft reset it.

As this is not the ideal solution, we would not recommend the iPAQ H5400 series PDA at this time. All other iPAQ HandHeld devices from the H3700 through H3900 range enjoy 100% compatibility with the Navman GPS 3400.

In addition to the above, the physical loudspeaker used in the H5400 we feel does not give sufficient audio output to allow you to hear the voice instructions clearly.

Navman is currently working on ensuring 100% compatibility with the H5400 and would advise all H5400 owners who wish to use the Navman solution, that it does work at present, subject to the inconveniences stated above, and would like to stress that Navman will do its utmost to support them, but cannot guarantee a 100% working solution at present.
ruffcutts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navman 3400/3420 and iPAQ 5400 no go! Reply with quote

If compatibility issues are resolved and speaker volume is still an issue there is a very simple solution. Currently there are various cell phone hands-free units that incorporate a clip-on microphone intended to amplify the output from the phone's earpiece via a separate speaker. The microphone may also be positioned over the speaker of a PDA to dramatically boost performance. The cost is about $10 U.S. for most of these devices.
aljames
Occasional Visitor

Ruffcutts, do you have any URLs of those companies making products that clip over the speaker on pDAs?

Al James
rwbthatisme
Occasional Visitor

Probably stating the obvious but the issue also exists with the ipaq 5400 & Navman 3000 jacket.

As I may have said before the best way I found to get them to run together is insert navman jacket and then do a soft reset (bit of a pain but it works). But the smartpath trip software sometimes crashes out, meaning you have to restart it. Though running gps software by itself runs just fine.

Luckily I havn't put my old 3630 on ebay yet so I have a dedicated gps unit!

Dave
Frequent Visitor

It sure is nice having dedicated GPS units! Unless you're in need for the cash, I'd keep it!
west-one
Occasional Visitor

Rather than using a mobile hands free kit I use a sound bug attached to the windscreen. Sound quality isn't good enough for music but fine for voice instructions.

Available from www.innovations.co.uk (about £35)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: