Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - £300 - What should I go for???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

£300 - What should I go for???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bi0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: £300 - What should I go for??? Reply with quote

I desperately need some help here.

I'm starting a new job in a week which involves a lot of driving so satellite navigation is essential!

I would also like to use it for trekking as well as I like a nice hike on the moors on a weekend.

I only have £300 at hand but have acquired tomtom navigator III software so I wont be needing that.

Any recommendations guys?
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i think acer n35 is good value for money. yes it comes installed with destinator. destinator has come under flak particularly re: round abouts.
but acer has built in gps unit plus antenna.. so u wont have to carry load of gadgets. other thing is mio168 slightly expensive than acer but pretty much the same.
oh i forgot u do not need a powered mounts for acer, its speaker is loud enough in a vehicle.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you want to go 'trekking' then topographic software and maps will be needed as TomTom 3 is not much good off road.

With a budget of £300 you may need to consider either a GPS integrated PDA such as a MIO 168 or perhaps a good second hand BlueTooth enabled PDA such as an iPAQ 2210 or better and separate GPS receiver. I would recommend Bluetooth, you can usually pick them up on Ebay for less than £100
Take a look at the reviews and the comparison database for help on choosing.

The topo software and maps are roughly £35 for one region.

Here are some pointers:
EBAY
Memory Map
Anquet maps

There are many other options but this should give you a start.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
tspar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Buy the Mio Reply with quote

I have been using the Mio 268 for the last 6 months and its fantastic. If you just want to get from A to B then this is the device for you for the money you have available. And if you havent got one already then buy a Road Angel 2, it will save you points if you are driving for a living !.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy the Mio Reply with quote

tspar wrote:
I have been using the Mio 268 for the last 6 months and its fantastic.

Being as the Mio268 uses MioMap CE have you been able to use the Safety Camera poi's from this web site, and if so what other software did you use to get them to work with MioMap.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: