Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - QUESTION ABOUT MERIDIAN PLATINUM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

QUESTION ABOUT MERIDIAN PLATINUM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HELLHOUND
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: QUESTION ABOUT MERIDIAN PLATINUM Reply with quote

I am looking to upgrade from my Garmin eTrex legend and was considdering either the MERIDIAN PLATINUM or GARMIN GPSMAP6OCS i don,t really care about the color screen as the pltainum seems to have more features than the Meridian color what i was looking for are some oppinions on the Meridian platinum PROSand CONS and any other input on the Magellan unit
Thanks
yearnslow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in time, I would consider the magellan as you have the option of the mapsend products including topo uk which is not bad at all. I have a sportrak color with topo-uk software. The garmin will not support topo maps of the uk, at this time, whatever the blurb says. The platinum has a barometer and thermometer doesn't it? so does the sportrak color, and they are very nearly useless, so don't let that cloud your judgement. I would get the meridian colour, you can get topo maps for it and it has an SD card memory system, which is very convienient for carrying detailed topo-uk maps over a big area.
Have fun. Wink
bobhaack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Meridian Platinum Reply with quote

Definitely the Magellan Meridian Platinum. The hardware is much more sensitive than the Garmin, the software is more flexible (albeit not as intuitive), the SD card is very convenient to carry all your maps (I have the 128mb card), there is a 3-axis compass built-in (no need to be moving), the software locks in while in motion (the Garmin 76 won't while in motion). I have two Land Rovers...one with the Garmin and one with the Magellan...the Magellan locked on inside the glove box (I experimented) and that was also through the electric windshields (they have the fine wire grids in them). It's also armor plated (rubber gripping around the edges.) It's a solid value, in my opinion. Ironically, I just upgraded the software to 5.40 and it was running very fast and smooth...but today it won't turn on...first trouble in 2 1/2 years. I'll get it fixed (or replaced.) Hope this helps! Good Luck! Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Magellan All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: