Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Destinator PN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Destinator PN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: New Destinator PN Reply with quote

Following an email enquiry I have just received a reply from Destinator Europe to say that the new Destinator PN will be available in 3-4 weeks time.

Dave R
s93ncer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone gets upset, I've only got a beta version but I've been using PN for about 4 weeks - my XDAIIs went *%"&$* so I've had to send it back :x

I've used TomTom for ages and have been given this to test. It's not the finished article yet but it should be available in the next couple of weeks.

I can't compare it to other versions of Destinator but I do like it.
It does cross border navigation, 3D views in colour as well as night views.

If anyone's got any questions like 'Does it do ....?' etc I'll see if I can answer them for you. I'll also see if i'm allowed to post some screen shots if anyone's interested!

Just waiting to get the old XDAII out of retirement and try it on there - I tried an Acer N35 but that was too slow.

...Spence
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions spring to mind:

1. Is the roundabout problem fixed (ie wrong distance and wrong exit in some cases)

2. Can you navigate to your own POIs (Favourites) based on their distance from where you are rather than just getting a sorted list in name order.
s93ncer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jellied wrote:
Two questions spring to mind:

1. Is the roundabout problem fixed (ie wrong distance and wrong exit in some cases)

2. Can you navigate to your own POIs (Favourites) based on their distance from where you are rather than just getting a sorted list in name order.

1 - Not in my beta version but I have made Destinator aware of it (again) and they have said it will be fixed.

2 - I will test this as soon as my XDA returns, it's gone to Scotland with a salesman at the moment Sad

...Spence
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more curious about Destinators upgrade policy. I like the product (D3), but living in a New Town, the roundabout bug is driving me mad. Every junction here is a roundabout and the visual indication is so unreliable as to be useless. If there is a reasonably priced (or free) upgrade path and they fix the problem, I'll stick with it but if not, I'm tempted to return D3 as "not fit for purpose". I've emailed then several times about it but the only response (which took 5 weeks!) ignored my question and asked me to call them in Germany. I really didn't want to make an international call to get "free" product support.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 'exclusive 30-Day Trial' pack of the Destinator 3 software which I purchased from the States for $19.95. Its the latest version 3.0.75 and so far I've had now problems with it working correctly for roundabouts.

I've planned a route on it that goes through Milton Keynes (City of Roundabouts) and it seems to give the correct indication and exit information for each roundabout.

Dave R
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If have D3 3.0.75 too. Around east central Scotland, there appear to be significant issues with roundabouts. I'm not sure if it's mapping or D3 at fault but, although the verbal instruction is always correct, both the small 'next turn' indication and the large 'imminent turn' indication often show the wrong turn. For example, they can show a right turn where the correct direction is straight ahead. On one occasion where I deviated from the advised route, I needed to go all the way round a roundabout to get back on track. The verbal indication was correct ('fourth exit') but the visual indicator showed a left turn (first exit). It needs fixing.
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post above should start "I have", not "If have". For some reason, my permissions do not allow me to edit my posts. Why?
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because you are never more than a mile away from a roundabout in MK!

The problem occurs when you are 2 miles away from one, it says "Take roundabout 2nd exit 3 miles", when it should be "Take r/a 3rd exit 2 miles"

Thanks for posting the advance news about the product, I don't hold out much hope of a free upgrade given we were charged to go from 3.0.6x to 3.0.75 in order to get features promised in the initial v3.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about MK, but my copy works OK when I'm miles away from a roundabout, say on the A1. It tells me and indicates to take the second or third exit and it's always been correct so far even on roundabouts with 6 or 7 exits. To try it out I asked it to give me a route to my mother's house some 80 miles away and it was correct all the way. The only slight problem is that when the lady says to take the third exit it comes out on my iPAQ2210 as the 'turd' exit.

Dave R

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: