Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO 920
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO 920 Reply with quote

Ever since the announcement of the new range of TomTom GOs there has been speculation about a top of the range model. We had the 300,500, and 700. This was followed up with the 510,710 and 910. This year TomTom announced the 520 and 720 with apparently a model missing, well today at 10:00 CET at the IFA show in Berlin that speculation was put to rest by the announcement of the flagship model: the TomTom GO 920.

The new GO 920 will be available during the last quarter of the year, just in time for the Christmas rush. Currently no price has been set for the SatNav.

The main features it offers over and above the 720 are: 4GB storage featuring the mapping of Western Europe, Central Europe and North America. A new Bluetooth remote control, and Enhanced positioning technology to help keep your location accurate when there is no GPS signal.

Below is the full Press release from TomTom:
TomTom press release wrote:

TomTom Introduces New High-End Model: TomTom GO 920 T

~ Premium TomTom GO 920 T features most extensive map of Europe and North America and comes complete with TomTom’s latest award-winning software and Enhanced Positioning Technology ~

Amsterdam, 30 August 2007 - TomTom, the world’s largest portable navigation solutions provider, today reveals its new flagship model, the TomTom GO 920 T. It comes preinstalled with complete maps of Europe and USA & Canada on the 4 GB of internal memory. The GO 920 T includes the new Enhanced Positioning Technology which results in a more continuous navigation experience. An RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to receive up-to-date traffic information is included in the box. The TomTom GO 920 T features a slim high quality design with soft-touch finish, and a new metallic colour scheme.

“The new flagship TomTom GO 920 T offers the best in satellite navigation,” says Harold Goddijn, chief executive officer at TomTom. “Pre-installed maps of multiple continents combined with innovative technologies such as the new Enhanced Positioning Technology, TomTom Map Share™ and plug & play traffic information offer outstanding quality and performance. The TomTom GO 920 T is the most advanced navigation solution on the market today.”

Most complete set of maps
The new TomTom GO 920 T offers a seamless map of 41 countries in both Western and Central Europe and the most-up-to-date maps of USA and Canada* preinstalled on the 4 GB internal memory of the device. This makes the TomTom GO 920 T the personal navigation device with the most complete set of pre-installed maps available in TomTom’s entire navigation solution portfolio.

Best navigation with Enhanced Positioning Technology
TomTom’s new Enhanced Positioning Technology uses movement and gravity sensors to calculate drivers’ positions when GPS signals are unavailable.

TomTom GO 920 T users will have a much more continuous navigation experience as the Enhanced Positioning Technology ensures the device continues to navigate to its destination, even in circumstances where there may not be a direct line-of-sight connection to a satellite. For example, when driving in a city with tall buildings, underpasses or bridges.

In addition, the TomTom GO 920 T comes with the latest version of TomTom’s award winning software and all the features of the current TomTom GO 720 and TomTom GO 520. This includes TomTom Map Share™ Technology to make easy changes to the map and to share map corrections with other TomTom customers so that users always have the most up-to-date maps available.

Traffic
An RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to receive up-to-date traffic information is included in the box. **

Remote control
The TomTom GO 920 T comes with an improved Bluetooth™ remote control that is the same colour as the device. This way drivers can operate their device safely from anywhere in the car without having to reach to touch the screen.

Extensive set of features
TomTom GO 920 T replaces the current TomTom GO 910 and offers the best in navigation and performance. On top of all new and exclusive features that the TomTom GO 920 T includes, the model comes preinstalled with the latest navigation software and features, such as:

? Large 4.3 inch touch screen with high quality graphics, an intuitive user interface and building footprints for a better overview of drivers’ surroundings;
? TomTom Map Share™ Technology: allowing users to instantly correct maps, share changes with other users, and benefit from improvements made by other users;
? TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to give users the most-up-to-date traffic information (RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver comes in the box)
? Speech recognition: voice address input to easily direct drivers to millions of cities and street names;
? Enhanced hands-free kit with high quality sound system to allow drivers to keep their eyes firmly on the road whilst making phone calls in the car;
? Extensive safety features including ‘Help Me’ menu to give drivers direct access to emergency services and roadside assistance;
? Most-up-to-date traffic information through TomTom’s Traffic subscription or through the TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver
? Built-in FM Transmitter to play music and navigation instructions over the car stereo;
? Clear voice instructions and text-to-speech, to enable street names, places, traffic alerts and SMS messages to be read aloud as part of the spoken instructions;
? New smart & fun extras to personalize users’ devices, including recording your own driving instructions, view documents, exchange positions via SMS and Bluetooth™ wireless technology and select a favourite car icon on the screen;
? TomTom desk dock to easily charge the TomTom GO 920 T and connect to a computer and TomTom HOME, TomTom’s free software application;
? Free TomTom HOME software to access ready to use online services such as Safety Cameras, Traffic and Weather;
? Full range of accessories to match the design and finish of the new GO range, including a leather carry case, a soft touch carry case, iPod cable and a home charger.

Availability
The new TomTom GO 920 T will be available in the last quarter of 2007.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that my TT6 will still happily get me to where I want to go ..... seems to me that the only 'improvements' that can be made this day and age concern areas outside of actually plugging in a route of where you want to go. A lot of extra money for debatable functionality.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the footnote implied by the two stars ..
Quote:
Traffic
An RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver to receive up-to-date traffic information is included in the box. **
I wonder if it says something like it doesn't work in UK, or only works in countries which do it?

I wonder how late in the final quarter it will be available. I have suddenly, in the last couple of weeks, dropped from 3 satnavs decorating the front, to only one and it's feeling very difficult.

I wonder if the 720 difficulties will be resolved before it comes out (e.g. High Street Colliers).

Anyway, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

TomTom GO 920 T users will have a much more continuous navigation experience as the Enhanced Positioning Technology ensures the device continues to navigate to its destination, even in circumstances where there may not be a direct line-of-sight connection to a satellite. For example, when driving in a city with tall buildings, underpasses or bridges.

It'll be really handy of course to know not to make a wrong turn when going through a tunnel or going over a bridge Rolling Eyes
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO Reply with quote

lamplight wrote:

It'll be really handy of course to know not to make a wrong turn when going through a tunnel or going over a bridge Rolling Eyes
Yes, highly amusing Rolling Eyes
I assume you've never driven through a tunnel with junctions in (e.g. the Limehouse Link in Docklands, or the extensive tunnel system in Dusseldorf), or junctions immediately afterwards (Holmesdale and Bell Common tunnels on the M25)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
lamplight wrote:

I assume you've never driven through a tunnel with junctions in (e.g. the Limehouse Link in Docklands, or the extensive tunnel system in Dusseldorf), or junctions immediately afterwards (Holmesdale and Bell Common tunnels on the M25)

Add to that list Basle, Zurich and Boston, plus many others.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO Reply with quote

carl_w wrote:
lamplight wrote:

Not to mention stopping in traffic jams (due to non-working TMC Wink ) whilst not receiving sat data. At least you would be able to look where you should have got to! And is operating a BT remote control whilst moving and driving any better/legal anyway? And it's just another thing to loose.

Finally I do like the picture that shows the man trying to fit it into his shirt pocket. I wonder if he succeded in the end Razz
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we find out if the new device employs a gyro with moving parts or is it using a lazer gyro type device or something else as I find this part of the new device of interest, I appreciate the older 700 had a similar system built into it, but times move on.

If it is a lazer device is it fixed or sat on a vibration device as stationary Lazer gyros are known to be poor at slow rate of change, where as gyros that spin don't really lend themselves to a vehicle enviroment - Mike
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Can we find out if the new device employs a gyro with moving parts or is it using a lazer gyro type device or something else as I find this part of the new device of interest, ......

I'm surprised at your inaccuracy, Mike. Lazer? I ask you!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point about the spelling - but I am still interested in how this thing works at a nuts and bolts level though - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Can we find out if the new device employs a gyro with moving parts or is it using a lazer gyro type device or something else as I find this part of the new device of interest, I appreciate the older 700 had a similar system built into it, but times move on.

If it is a lazer device is it fixed or sat on a vibration device as stationary Lazer gyros are known to be poor at slow rate of change, where as gyros that spin don't really lend themselves to a vehicle enviroment - Mike

I can confirm that it is solid state, i.e. not a mechanical gyro.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Fair point about the spelling - but I am still interested in how this thing works at a nuts and bolts level though - Mike
It'll be the usual magic, Mike - Izzy Whizzy, Abracadabra, Open Sez Me - that sort of stuff. Let me know the serial number of any which you take a screwdriver to, so that I'll know what to expect if you return them under warranty and I end up with them on an exchange.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see handtec are taking preorders of the new 920T, price being £470 inc VAT.

I'm not surprised it's not a mechanical gyro in it - might drain the battery a bit ;-) And if you lift it while on it will be relucant to change direction in your hand.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as a guess it will cost £80 to £100 more than the 720.
(Someone stated Handtec are asking £150 more.)

You get a TMC receiver that does not work, and a remote that might be useful, USA/Canada maps, and an extra component to allow use in tunnels.

It's just a 720 with an extra memory and sensor on the circuit board. Shocked

The battery will last even less than the 2 hours max it does now, and it will be a lottery if you get one with working handsfree. Laughing

Does not seem worth it unless you drive underground all day.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: