Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roadwork Cameras To Switch To 60mph
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roadwork Cameras To Switch To 60mph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Roadwork Cameras To Switch To 60mph Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Get Speed Camera Warnings For SatNavs
Get FREE TRIAL Speed Camera Warnings For iOS (iPhone and iPad)
Get FREE TRIAL Speed Camera Warnings For Android (phones and tablets)

Highways England have announced that roadwork speed limits are soon to be increased from 50mph to 60mph.

In tests using heart monitors, it was discovered that motorists driving at 60mph were more relaxed and felt better able to accelerate past large lorries in sections of roadworks - they were able to spend more time concentrating on driving rather than checking their speed and worrying about the average speed cameras.

Following a report that 16 road-building schemes are being postponed by up to two years to prevent overloading the network, a spokesman for Highways England said: "The volume of roadworks that the network and our users can cope with is probably reaching its peak".

There are currently 30 major roadworks under way on England's motorways and trunk roads.

The 60mph initiative will be rolled out starting next year, but lower limits will stay in place at roadworks with narrower lanes, contra-flow systems or if workers are close to the road.

The RAC commented: "This is good news for motorists as it should help to improve the flow of traffic which often builds up well ahead of motorway roadworks. Increasing the speed limit to 60mph, where appropriate, also enables motorists who feel threatened by the close proximity of HGVs in roadworks to free themselves."

Further research has shown that there were 1.35 million traffic jams on the UK's major roads in the past 12 months which cost the economy £9 billion in lost productivity and extra fuel.

Source
email icon

Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2004/5 when they widened the western section of the M25 they dropped the limit to 40 and put in loads of cameras.

The M25 has never flowed so well. I used to get home quicker than when the limit was 70 and caused concertina jams.

Poor drivers heart rates, learn to position yourself properly so lorries don't stress you out.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Chigman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've got 15 miles of roadworks and you get a few in succession, and you are on the road all day, then 60 mph to me makes more sense. I have been saying that 50 is to slow for ages.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Why not drive by your satnav gps speed or the CamerAlert speed?
Because the bloke in front is driving a bit below his over conservative speedo at 43mph, causing the HGV behind you to start hassling?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I realise that, which is exactly what I do when unimpeded. Set the cruise for (say) 50mph as indicated by the satnav.
However, it surely is what I suggested that causes a lot of the frustration.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, M8. It's very true. Many people seem to drive to their speedos (and which items are all required by EU regulations to read short).

We up North we have suffered these 50 limits for many years now, whilst the A1M is progressively being widened. The road works are all behind big concrete barriers, and which completely segregate the workforce from traffic (on the few occasions when any workforce is present !). Apart from those areas where the lanes are narrow, I think it is reasonable to consider an increase to 60 in the limit.

However it is very noticeable how Some drivers think it's good to drive at (indicated) 50 ie (actual) 46-47 in the Outside line, and driving Side-by-Side with a similar person in the Inside lane. I do suspect they are doing this on purpose, because they do not advance further forward in their lane but rather they maintain their (blocking) position all the way down the road.

(Volvo and Mercedes drivers over a certain age do seem the most perpetrator of this tactic, to me),

But what can be done ? It only loses me a few minutes (as people have said) but it's still deliberately obstructive and inconsiderate behaviour, and annoying.

Dales.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road workers have voted to keep the 50 limit.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year or two ago, I had a puncture on the M4, offside rear of my van.

I pulled onto the hard shoulder and got out to change the wheel. And promptly got back in again and drove on to the next services - less than half a mile, it was so frightening on the hard shoulder (but it shredded the tyre!). I am very sure I would not have felt any safer behind a traffic cone.

And how many of us have actually experienced the shockwave of a passing vehicle whilst standing next to a live traffic lane?

I can't argue against those roadworks speed limits (although I'd argue against empty sites!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M5 has a stretch at 30mph... It's painful!!

I always thought the 50mph speed limit was for the safety of the workers not for the happiness of the drivers? If the extra 10mph doesn't affect the safety of the workers then where do you draw the line? Keep it at 70 in roadworks?!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: