Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please TomTom GO Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please TomTom GO Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Help please TomTom GO Traffic Reply with quote

I have just (reluctantly) moved to TomTom GO on my iPhone due to traffic no longer working on the old version. However, I am baffled. Apart from the question of how TomTom could release this app with a straight face, I have a more serious question about traffic. I am only seeing traffic for the first 50 miles in the direction of my destination. I initially thought that this must be the 50 miles "free" navigation, so I upgraded with a year's subscription to discover I had already done that a few months ago and now I have a valid subscription for unlimited navigation running into 2019. What's going on ?
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50 mile limit is one that TomTom, in their infinite wisdom, introduced some years ago and, as far as I'm aware, have never rescinded Rolling Eyes
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
The 50 mile limit is one that TomTom, in their infinite wisdom, introduced some years ago and, as far as I'm aware, have never rescinded Rolling Eyes

So how can it plan a route if it only knows first 50 miles of traffic. I thought the previous version showed me distant traffic.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it back and get a Garmin with LMT-D. Traffic does not seem to have a 'horizon' on that. Stop it!
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was considerable discussion about this many years ago.

The best argument was - some lengthy journeys have 2 or more possible motorway routes. You need to know which one to take before you set out, not when you get to within 50 miles of the major roadworks, that you could have avoided.

As posted, get a Garmin. Plus they take the better camera database.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help please TomTom GO Traffic Reply with quote

Hi Tony

TonyD wrote:
I have just (reluctantly) moved to TomTom GO on my iPhone

So sorry to hear that! Sad

TonyD wrote:
so I upgraded with a year's subscription to discover I had already done that a few months ago and now I have a valid subscription for unlimited navigation running into 2019.

If you had previously bought the old TomTom app (e.g. UK & Ireland, Europe, etc) you are (or at least you were) entitled to have 3 free years of subscription to the TomTom Fisherprice Laughing (sorry GO Mobile) app! I suggest that you contact TomTom and/or apple and ask for a refund as GO Mobile isn't fit for purpose.

TonyD wrote:
What's going on ?

I've always found TomTom's own Traffic to be very accurate which is OK for local routes but as has already been said, TomTom set the 50 mile Traffic years ago. As for the GO Mobile iOS app well it's just plain awful.

Please read my recent post TomTom GO Mobile iOS project dead? on TomTom's own forum. It probably expresses what most TomTom GO Mobile iOS app users have experienced and feel about that app.

As already mentioned by M and K, get a Garmin with LMT-D, as a TomTom user I now use and recommend the Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D it has a large 6.95" screen and takes the PocketGPSWorld camera database and if you have a Windows PC than you can use K's excellent Garmin CSV to GPX Converter.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Videodat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I would just mention that I have managed to install and use my paid-for old TomTom software (TomTom app v1.29 or 8.300 and Western Europe map v995.8547) with on my new iPhone X (running IOS 11.2.5).

'Traffic' is longer available of course as TomTom in their wisdom decided to stop accepting my monthly payment for that a while ago! I don't know how up-to-date my maps are - someone will know - but it still gets me around all over the country OK and allows me to easily install my speed camera updates so I'm happy! I would mention though, that the full screen size of the iPhone is not fully used (it seems to be using about the size of my iPhone 6 which was one of the last that TomTom supported.

As it would seem the majority of posters on this forum seem to think, TomTom seem to have completely lost the plot - don't realise that everyone is going to be using just a single favourite comms device in 2018 and their software will need to work on it at least as well as it did in 2008?

I notice on my IPhone X that TomTom Shop is offering me a free 3-year upgrade to TomTom Go! Should I take it?
Wink
TomTom One XL

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: